Should I feel confident buying a used high-mileage Bolt?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bchalker

2017 Premier w/48k miles.

Never bought an EV, buy have wanted one since first test driving a Leaf 4 years ago. It’s actually between this Bolt and. 2017 Volt Premier w/ACC @ 35k miles. Same price.

Should I be concerned on the limited remaining battery warranty and lack of Powertrain warranty? I know the battery is primary concern, buy Infotainment and such going out is also not minor :)

Just curious on your thoughts.

Yes, no worries if the mileage is an individual with a long daily highway commute.

No, if the high miles came via a family driving Uber/Lyfft/urban delivery 24/7. All the suspension, brakes, steering, doors, windows, hatch, seats, take a pounding.

jack vines

PackardV8 said:
No, if the high miles came via a family driving Uber/Lyfft/urban delivery 24/7. All the suspension, brakes, steering, doors, windows, hatch, seats, take a pounding.
Why do you say that?

I just purchased a new 2019 Bolt EV to replace my leased 2017 and I expect to pay off the loan in 18 months with income from Uber.

bchalker said:
...It’s actually between this Bolt and. 2017 Volt Premier w/ACC @ 35k miles. Same price.
I'd think that the 8 year / 100K mile battery warranty should give you a fair bit of peace of mind compared to the much more complex Volt powertrain. And the Bolt is a much better driving experience, IMHO.

BoltEV said:
PackardV8 said:
Why do you say that?

I just purchased a new 2019 Bolt EV to replace my leased 2017 and I expect to pay off the loan in 18 months with income from Uber.

Probably because a car used for Uber/Lyft has much more wear and tear per mile. The doors are opened/closed every few miles. People are constantly getting in and out of the back seat. Etc.

Then again, my Bolt is my family road trip car, and I imagine my kids are far harder on the back seat than most Uber/Lyft passengers. They often snack during trips, spill stuff, put their feet and sticky hands on everything, etc. You get the point. I'm sure the resale value of my car is much lower than one used just for a long daily commute. But that's ok by me, because I don't intend to sell it any time soon.

GetOffYourGas said:
BoltEV said:
PackardV8 said:
Why do you say that?

Probably because a car used for Uber/Lyft has much more wear and tear per mile. The doors are opened/closed every few miles. People are constantly getting in and out of the back seat.
That plus most of the hack miles are constant stop-and-go on cratered city streets.

GetOffYourGas said:
Then again, my Bolt is my family road trip car, and I imagine my kids are far harder on the back seat than most Uber/Lyft passengers. They often snack during trips, spill stuff, put their feet and sticky hands on everything, etc. You get the point. I'm sure the resale value of my car is much lower than one used just for a long daily commute.
For true. One adult making a long daily commute usually does little harm mechanically or cosmetically. Commercial use and/or kindergarten busing can trash one before the lease is up.

jack

I have 47k miles on my 2017, which had its second birthday today. My typical drive is about 50 miles, mostly highway speed. The battery appears to have about 56-57 KWH of capacity, based on the energy use reported by the car and comparing it with the fuel gauge readings between 25% and 100% state of charge. I know this is not terribly accurate, but the same method when the car was new showed capacity of 57-58 KWH. A well cared-for 2017 should have years of value left in it.

Check out Bolt owner News Coulomb (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqB3od74sV0) reporting on his 70K miles 2017, and he has fast charged hundreds of times, not babied it as I intend to with mine. I'd say for most late model EV's it is more likely that the car will rust away before there is enough battery degradation to make you want to replace it. In fact it sounds like most packs from old EV's will be placed into large banks of electrical storage and go on for years longer.

I am expecting to drive my 2017 for a few years and then see what new vehicles arrive. If I trade it then I expect to get about the same as I paid for it. In a couple years there will be a lot of regular folks wanting an EV but without the budget to buy new. By 2023 the used BEV market is going to stay hot for a long time, and the value of an ICE car 8+ years old will be cut in half from lack of demand. Personally, and after months of researching, I couldn't be happier having chosen the Bolt EV. It could be the last car I ever buy, but probably not. In 5-8 years there will be a lot more new tech and safety features I'll probably want.

marspilgrim said:
In a couple years there will be a lot of regular folks wanting an EV but without the budget to buy new. By 2023 the used BEV market is going to stay hot for a long time, and the value of an ICE car 8+ years old will be cut in half from lack of demand.
There won't be anywhere near enough used EVs by that time to satisfy all the people who want one...

PackardV8 said:
GetOffYourGas said:
BoltEV said:
Why do you say that?

Probably because a car used for Uber/Lyft has much more wear and tear per mile. The doors are opened/closed every few miles. People are constantly getting in and out of the back seat.
That plus most of the hack miles are constant stop-and-go on cratered city streets.

GetOffYourGas said:
Then again, my Bolt is my family road trip car, and I imagine my kids are far harder on the back seat than most Uber/Lyft passengers. They often snack during trips, spill stuff, put their feet and sticky hands on everything, etc. You get the point. I'm sure the resale value of my car is much lower than one used just for a long daily commute.
For true. One adult making a long daily commute usually does little harm mechanically or cosmetically. Commercial use and/or kindergarten busing can trash one before the lease is up.

jack
I will respectfully disagree: Miles are miles!

Actually in my anecdotal experience Uber miles are much kinder to my Bolt EV!

Using "aggressive" regenerative braking (L mode and steering wheel paddle), I almost never use the breaks except when the car in front of me hits his brake lights or a few times when my speed is high enough to need them to stop for a red light. All the other times my "up/down" motion of my right leg is doing all the work.

So my brake pads must have been in pristine condition when I turned my lease in last Tuesday with 44,640 miles!

Yes, if you can find a used Bolt EV owned by "the little old lady in Pasadena" who ran up her miles on serene Sunday drives, BUY IT!

But since you do not know the particular habits of the previous driver, unless you buy your own leased Bolt EV, it is hit or miss.

That is why I rarely buy a used car; the previous owner had a problem with it!

Except back in the 80s when I bought a used 65 Mustang Convertible! hahahaha

I just purchased my new 2019 Bolt EV specifically for driving full time Uber and when it is paid off in 18 months, even though it will have more miles that my previous leased one, I expect that it will have very few maintenance issues except for requiring new tires!

BoltEV said:
PackardV8 said:
GetOffYourGas said:

This is not always the case, as many people get rid of their cars, simply because they are tired of it and want to drive something different or the car no longer meets their needs (practicality, cargo space, mpg's...) or even afford it.

I typically buy my cars slightly used, super low mile and save tons of money letting the first owner take the hit.
I bought my 2020 Bolt new because of the current crazy discounts.

Of course higher mile older cars have a higher chance of something mechanical going on. In that case give the vehicle a thorough look over for signs of abuse, lack of maintenance, run carfax... I typically never finance longer than the vehicle is covered under warranty.

hellcatjake said:
BoltEV said:
PackardV8 said:

This is not always the case, as many people get rid of their cars, simply because they are tired of it and want to drive something different or the car no longer meets their needs (practicality, cargo space, mpg's...) or even afford it.
Hence the previous owner had a problem with it!

I am not a good enough detective to discern which “problem” it was, hence I, like you, purchased new!

BoltEV said:
hellcatjake said:

Hence the previous owner had a problem with it!

I am not a good enough detective to discern which “problem” it was, hence I, like you, purchased new!
Hey man, whatever floats your boat. I was just stating there can be other reasons people sell their car that aren't costly or reliability issues... People can save tons of hard earned money buying pre-owned. Not everyone can afford new. :roll:

hellcatjake said:
I was just stating there can be other reasons people sell their car that aren't costly or reliability issues...
Common sense told us that before your post, but you continue to ignore my response: how can you discern the previous owner’s reason to sell?

And, I don’t own a boat! :lol: (or a Dodge; mine’s a Mercedes engineered 2008 Chrysler Sebring hardtop convertible)

there has been a few 2017 for sale around 100Kmiles, pricing around $15K. Essentially no more pack warranty.

Am very tempted. We have 2x, both almost 70Kmiles. It's the best $/range-emile out there, and with decent Thermal Management System

thoughts ?

BoltEV said:
hellcatjake said:
I was just stating there can be other reasons people sell their car that aren't costly or reliability issues...
Common sense told us that before your post, but you continue to ignore my response: how can you discern the previous owner’s reason to sell?

No, you can't KNOW why the previous owner deided to sell. But the OP didn't say he was buying from an individual - a lease return makes perfect sense as a reason to "get rid of" a car after 3 years. Something that you should know, since you did the exact same thing (returned a 2017 Bolt for a newer car). A lot of Bolts were leased and are now on the market. On the one site I looked at (cargurus.com), there are over 100 available within 150 miles of my house (3 of them under $16,000 !!).

You certainly are argumentative, but I am not sure what the goal is here.

I stated my preference: I buy "new" cars because I do not know how the previous driver cared for his used car.

The only "used" car I ever purchased was back in the 1980s when I purchased a used 1965 Ford Mustang convertible; and the reason should be obvious!

That is why I replaced my 2017 leased Bolt EV with a new 2019 Bolt EV!

If you want to buy "used" leased cars, have at it!

Back