Towing really heavy stuff with the Bolt

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello internet people-

I am in a serious conundrum- I am about to build my first house (exciting!!) in six or so months and am seriously considering doing it in a 24' airstream. I want the flexibility of moving it and I don't want to burn gas doing so and my first (and current) car is an eSpark so I know Chevy makes a quality EV. What is the biggest, most heaviest thing you have seen a Bolt tow? My backup is the Audi eTron because I don't plan on moving my house all that often and I think that they will be <30k after they start coming off lease- but I'd much prefer the Bolt because of it's size and demeanor.

GEA

Hello Adventure,

I'll start off by stating what should be obvious or easily discovered, which is that a Bolt isn't rated to tow. That being said, you and you alone are responsible for your actions and well being. You may find this video link of a hitch installation helpful, to have a look at the componentry. (Edit: posting the link may be helpful) https://youtu.be/zK_IERW90qQ

From the looks of the way a hitch is attached, I'd personally be barely comfortable with a bike rack. While the drivetrain is probably perfectly capable of bigger tasks, I think the body is a major limiting factor.

That's my $0.02. Good luck.

For your occasional needs to more the Airstream, I'd suggest finding a friend with a pickup truck to do the job. At worst, you could hire someone who's in the business of moving RVs. Check with a local RV dealer. In fact, you could probably hang around the lot and approach a customer who's towing a trailer.

Don't even consider trying to do it with the Bolt.

FWIW: i've been towing lots of different trailers for many years and have read extensively on the subject.

The problem isn't starting - the Bolt would be more than capable of getting that size of trailer moving. On flat ground you could tow it with a garden tractor.

There are two problems that will get you:

1) Stopping. No way is the Bolt big enough to brake that rig on it's own. The trailer would need a full remote braking system system installed. It would only be slightly less hassle to get the brake control system installed in the Bolt than it would trying to fit a Bolt with the Class III or IV hitch that size of trailer needs. It's highly likely the Class I hitch available for the Bolt would break at the first bump.

2) Control. Travel trailers have high sides and get pushed around easily by crosswinds. On a bad day with a small tow vehicle this will land you upside down in a ditch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fkOVHAC8Q

I've towed for years and done some really stupid things. Don't follow in my footsteps, you might not have my luck.

Or you can go ahead and urinate on the electric fence yourself. Please post the results to YouTube.

Back