Modifying a Bolt's clearance.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted an earlier thread about towing with the Bolt and it sounds like a really bad idea. Still like the Bolt too much to pass up so now the question is how far can I modify it. I have a couple questions I was hoping the community could answer:

-I know from experience that the Bolt has crappy clearance and I really like the clearance of my eSpark so I was wondering if anyone had good suggestions for lift kits for the Bolt (inch or so)
-How much can the roof rack hold? Could it have two/ three hundred pounds up there with any issue?
-Has anyone created a swing gate for the back of the vehicle to hold a spare tire? Think Jeep Wrangler style spare tire but on a separate hinged system that goes out to the side.
-Has anyone changed the tires for knobbier kit with smaller rims? I'd hate to kill a pair of perfectly good LT rims driving out in Indian Creek. . .
-Lastly has anyone put a 3000 watt inverter in the back? I have a 1kW unit in my eSpark but I need something bigger to power my house in the event I run out of solar/battery power.
-I prefer the LT trim with heated steering wheel, but it doesn't come with the false floor as far as I can tell / all the Bolts I've driven haven't had it yet if they are LT. Has anyone installed one aftermarket?

As you might guess I don't care about range all that much, driven Bolts on roadtrips before and it can go two to three times farther on a charge than I can.

-GEA

ElectricAdventure said:
I have a couple questions I was hoping the community could answer:

-How much can the roof rack hold? Could it have two/ three hundred pounds up there with any issue?
Going off the top of my head, I believe the manual says not to exceed 100 lbs.
ElectricAdventure said:
-Has anyone created a swing gate for the back of the vehicle to hold a spare tire? Think Jeep Wrangler style spare tire but on a separate hinged system that goes out to the side.
Haven't seen this, but perhaps someone could fab a hitch mounted one that folds down? I keep my spare (205 50 17) in the trunk floor.
ElectricAdventure said:
-Lastly has anyone put a 3000 watt inverter in the back? I have a 1kW unit in my eSpark but I need something bigger to power my house in the event I run out of solar/battery power.
Not certain, but I think the dc to dc converter is probably rated in the neighborhood of 2kw. Perhaps you could make a home battery with the ability for the Bolt and Solar to replenish it, so the house battery could handle the peak loads? Even if it costs you hundreds of dollars, it may be cheaper than replacing the dc to dc converter, plus you have a cool home battery.

Back