Transmission leak?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bolt still in shop September 22
After reassembly with the new drive
Seems the drive is not being recognized or some other communication error is stopping the car from going into drive

Still driving my Honda insight

I have owned the Bolt for 39 days purchaced Aug14
28 days of fun
I found the drive leak brought in the car
GM wanted to swap the drive to get the old one back for inspection
11 days of frustration, and anxiety and now a new problem that they so far have not been able to resolve.

When will they just swap my car with a new one ?
Was invited to show my bolt and talk to people in an EV exhibit at the Garlic and Arts festival in orange ma tomorrow
Now I need to take my prius and watch. Bummer

I sure understand your frustration with the drive unit leak. I've had a couple of new cars over 50 years of driving that had to have major repairs when nearly new. Both times the outcome was completely satisfactory and both went on to become reliable and satisfying vehicles.

I recount this only to encourage you to not loose faith in the repair process - even though it might be easy to do. Based on my admittedly limited experience, you've got an excellent chance of having the Bolt perform fine once you get it back.

elpwr said:
I sure understand your frustration with the drive unit leak. I've had a couple of new cars over 50 years of driving that had to have major repairs when nearly new. Both times the outcome was completely satisfactory and both went on to become reliable and satisfying vehicles.

I recount this only to encourage you to not loose faith in the repair process - even though it might be easy to do. Based on my admittedly limited experience, you've got an excellent chance of having the Bolt perform fine once you get it back.

Awesome post. I don't normally get all giddy with forums that have "likes", but this post certainly deserves one.

I feel bad for the poor technician at the dealers
a tech that has been to an EV course at GM where they gave him a lot of info quickly and then 6 months or so later they have you dismantle a drive and reconnect and put it back together.
All good until the computers won't properly initialize and GM is not much help
He is probably feeling defeated.
I have been in the technical service field since 1969 when I ran a TV repair place?
http://99mpg.com/blog/whatisgenesisone/
While I can relate to him.
Back in the days of gas engines an oil leak fix would be replace a gasket.
Here they need to tear my car apart to determine if this is a serious issue or not
I get that, good for them .
But we are at a point where the problem that developed during the repair process has not been solved and they now need to figure out why.
Big question when will I get my new car back is unanswered.
IMHO
They should send the thing back to GM and replace it with a new one.
Will make that case with the dealer on Monday
Wish me luck

Good news
Just got a call from the dealer
Bolt is ready to come home
One of the computers had got corrupted and was the issue preventing system reboot
A complete reset and reloading of the code it booted up

Car is working properly so far, need to do more than the 10 miles from the dealer before I'll feel
Fully confident.
Dealer Washed it and fully charged it. Looks like new.
Now i am Happy camper. :)

Great to hear! I was pretty sure they'd get it resolved. After several more days of normal use, you're confidence should be mostly restored.

My Tesla Model S (like many earlier ones) required a complete drive unit replacement. Some have had the unit replaced multiple times - so far only once with my car. But the car has performed fine for over 20K miles since the replacement.

There can be some joy, even after a major repair.

All is still good
Ran a charge cycle to test that functionality worked as it should
Cargill offered me a loaner ( USED PICKUP) but I chose to drive my prius and Honda insight .
They gave me a ride home when the decision to swap the drive was made
They offered to drop off the repaired Bolt but I preferred to get a ride to the dealers so I could talk with the service tech that did the job
Cargill did well in my book.
GM showed their desire to learn what was wrong as it cost them a lot to have the drive swapped when they
Could have simply had the leaky gasket Replaced.
Now I hope to go trouble free for many years
Mike

MikeDabrowski2017 said:
GM showed their desire to learn what was wrong as it cost them a lot to have the drive swapped when they could have simply had the leaky gasket Replaced.
Yeah, I was impressed to hear that too. Kudos, GM!

Back