MPGe vs mi/kWh vs Wh/mi vs $/mi or miles/$

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DucRider

Since this got started in another (somewhat unrelated) thread
http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=113&start=10
I thought it was worth a separate place to debate the pros and cons of the different ways of measurement.

When MPGe first showed up, I thought it was terrible. But as time has gone by, I've come to appreciate the merits.

When talking to most people unfamiliar with EV's, MPGe is confusing but is likely the best way to compare apples to oranges (EV's to ICE cars). The simple explanation is "MPGe shows how far a car can drive based on the amount of energy contained in a gallon of gas."
If they want more info; "33.7 kWh of electricity is equivalent to one gallon of gas, so completely charging a Bolt would be like pumping 1 3/4 gallons of gas and allow you to drive 200 miles."
I have had the opportunity to talk to many people unfamiliar with EV's in my daily life, at EV events (NDEW, etc) and at traditional auto shows. Most people seem to grasp the concept fairly readily.

Even with the stupid low gas prices we currently have, it shows just how much more efficient an EV is.

If you are looking to compare apples to apples (EV's to each other instead of to ICE vehicles), MPGe is still not a bad metric to use. The i3 (124MPGe) is much more efficient than a Model X P90D (89 MPGe). The Bolt looks slated to come in somewhere around 113 (200 mi / 1.78 "gallons"), depending on EPA range and if the 60 kWh is the usable portion of the battery or the pack size.

Thanks for starting the thread Gary.

MPGe definitely has the most recognizability and closest comparison to ICE vehicles, unfortunately it is also the furthest removed from anykind of direct physical measurement.

I do think Wh/mi or kWh/100mi is the most sensical, but we're still using MILES(!), which makes no sense so who knows what will happen.

And then there's the whole charging discussion - now I see EVSE manufacturers starting to quote the Range-per-hour (RPH) capabilities of their X amp chargers.

In the research I have done there's been some confusion and conflicting reports. Some documentation says the Chevy Bolt will have over 200 kilometer range but other documentation says the Chevrolet Bolt EV will have a 320 kilometer range ,which one is it?

Aidan said:
In the research I have done there's been some confusion and conflicting reports. Some documentation says the Chevy Bolt will have over 200 kilometer range but other documentation says the Chevrolet Bolt EV will have a 320 kilometer range ,which one is it?

The Bolt is supposed to have a 200 mile range, which translates to 320 kilometres for those of us who don't live in the US of A.

Back