Camera rear view mirror

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmvoltguy

Sounds like the NHTSA has approved use of a camera/electronic display in place of a rear view mirror for the GM Bolt electric vehicle.

Do you think this will be an easy thing to get used to? Or will it take a bit?

Trying to think too if the image will be 'reversed' like a mirror image or if they'll use technology to flip it.

rhbijk17nparuaaggrsp-750x500.jpg

Easy to adapt (and a big step forward).

You can always switch back to the physical mirror with a toggle (like non auto-dimming mirrors)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHSr0J_l8EY

They don't flip the image - what would be the advantage? Things on the right of the car will show on the right of the image (which is they way our brains are used to processing the info). It would be extremely disorienting to have the view in the "mirror" a non-mirror image. Back-up cameras are a "mirror image" for the same reason.

I'm glad they left the toggle in there for preference/redundancy sake.

Actually, I wonder if having the actual 'mirror' backup is why the NHSTA approved the rear-view-mirror-camera functions?

What about the side view mirrors? If the rear view camera is wide angle like a GoPro, you wouldn't need them. How much would that affect drag? We need all the miles we can get

The other Bolt forum has a similar thread

A downside is the need to adjust your focus to the screen verses the outside view.

JackHickey said:
What about the side view mirrors? If the rear view camera is wide angle like a GoPro, you wouldn't need them. How much would that affect drag? We need all the miles we can get

This is what I was thinking too. Automakers have been pushing for cameras instead of mirrors for years, showing concept after concept without them. If NHSTA has approved this mirror, then they must be at least considering the same for side view. Right?

The "flip side" is that this mirror can be flipped down and used as a traditional mirror (pun intended). If you build a car without side mirrors, the car doesn't have side mirrors (and hence no possibility of a low-tech redundant backup)

It's a very cool innovation, as it surely eliminates blind spots behind the car. Glad to see that it comes in mass production. Actually aftermarket rear view mirrors with built in monitors like this one for examples, are available for a few years already, but they don't seem to be very popular among drivers.

GetOffYourGas said:
The "flip side" is that this mirror can be flipped down and used as a traditional mirror (pun intended). If you build a car without side mirrors, the car doesn't have side mirrors (and hence no possibility of a low-tech redundant backup)

I'm sure someone could come up with a pop-out side mirror if the technology really needed a backup - but there are much more important systems in an electric vehicle that don't have a backup - like the brakes!

Good point on the side view mirrors.

Regarding brakes, we do have a backup - regen! An EV (or hybrid) can apply negative torque to the drive wheels. Although the amount of torque is going to be more limited than what can be applied through old-fashion brake pads, it's still a backup of sorts.

All electric vehicles have hydraulically-powered friction brakes, just like any car out there.

One advantage of the electronic image on the rear view mirror is that the mirror doesn't need to be perfectly aligned with the rear of the vehicle. If you bump it you can still see behind. The passenger will also be able to see the rear veiw from the passenger seat.

It's a novel concept.

JPWhite said:
It's a novel concept.

Agreed.

Though our Tesla does have a backup camera that you can display 8"x8" on the center screen any time, not just when backing up. I use it sometimes when on the highway as an additional driving aid.

SmartElectric said:
JPWhite said:
It's a novel concept.

Agreed.

Though our Tesla does have a backup camera that you can display 8"x8" on the center screen any time, not just when backing up. I use it sometimes when on the highway as an additional driving aid.

Backup cameras are awesome. I hate it when I drive a car without one now. Reversing into a parking space is so stress free with a backup camera and you stop a consistent distance from the object behind every time.

I drove for about 5 years with side view video mirrors. These lower aero drag quite bit - both lowering the Cd and the area. They have no blind spots, and work very well in the rain and at dusk. Full sunshine needs a better camera with higher F stops, and similar for full darkness.

No need to adjust for different drivers, and you don't get blinded by headlights, either.

I hope that side video mirrors are allowed from the factory - this can extend the range a bit, and work better than optical mirrors.

I have a quality review camera in my car and I never use the review mirror anymore as the camera gives a better bird's-eye view of what's behind me I'm sure the Chevy Bolt will provide a quality review camera if it's going to get rid of the rear view mirror

The vehicle I drive right now has a good quality rear camera and it definitely takes the place of the review mirror

Tcdn said:
The vehicle I drive right now has a good quality rear camera and it definitely takes the place of the review mirror

The LEAF rear camera is only active if you are reversing, so I still need the rear view mirror when I'm driving. Look forward to the Bolt's clear electronic image in the rear view mirror. I have removed the rear headrests to give me better visibility, won't need to do that with the Bolt!!

I had to remove the headrests too. The leaf's design is just awful in that regard. My previous car had headrests that lowered even to the top of the rear seat. And they were more comfortable too!

Of course a tall passenger in the back (or a trunk packed to the roof) would have the same effect. I'm loving the camera concept.

Back