Currently leasing a Spark EV, awesome motor

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane78

We currently lease a Chevy Spark EV which I'm sure you know uses the same motor that will go in the Bolt electric vehicle. It has great pickup with 330lb-ft of torque and a broad powerband (if you can use that term with an electric motor?)

GM produced a great electric motor, and it's been in production for over 3 years and they've had a chance to tweak and refine it and get rid of any bugs.

shane78 said:
We currently lease a Chevy Spark EV which I'm sure you know uses the same motor that will go in the Bolt electric vehicle. It has great pickup with 330lb-ft of torque and a broad powerband (if you can use that term with an electric motor?)

GM produced a great electric motor, and it's been in production for over 3 years and they've had a chance to tweak and refine it and get rid of any bugs.
The Bolt will use a newly designed motor/reduction gear unit. It is GM designed, but built in Korea by LG and shipped to Michigan for assembly into the car.
The Spark EV uses a motor built in Maryland and shipped to Korea to be assembled into the car.
Bolt: 200HP, 266 lb ft of torque with a 7.05:1 final drive ratio
Spark EV (post 2014): 140 HP, 327 lb ft, 3.87:1

Different drive units entirely.

shane78 said:

That's goof to hear. But I remember reading somewhere in Chevy Bolt forum that Bolt EV will have a more powerful motor than Sparks EV.

If the Bolt has a 200HP motor and the Spark EV has 140HP, wouldn't that make the Bolt more powerful? Yes, it has less torque, but the gearing ratios are different too. From these numbers, I get the impression that the Spark EV may jump off the line quicker, but that the Bolt will be able to apply that acceleration for longer.

Back