Any chance of an AWD Bolt EV?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think the extra cost would be more than people would want to pay for a small vehicle like the Bolt...
all wheel drive would probably add 20% to the total vehicle cost.

Also, the instant torque and computer control and low center of gravity gives a front-wheel drive electric vehicle almost as good of traction as a gasoline powered AWD vehicle I'd say

The Chevy Trax and Buick Encore are built on the same platform and they are both AWD, so it's definitely possible on that vehicle platform.

However, making AWD on a fwd-specific EV is going to be more difficult than what Tesla did by adding a second motor in the empty 'frunk' space.

I guess you could cut into some of the trunk and cargo space for the rear electric motor, similar to what BMW did with the i3 motor (and range extender) under the cargo floor?

They could use 2 motors at the rear, one on each wheel like the Mercedes Gullwing electric vehicle that cost $500,000.

Chances are they'll just stick with fwd :)

I wouldn't bet on it - will the Tesla Model 3 have an awd option? I guess if Tesla can actually get better efficiency with 2 motors, but it also increases the cost. I'm doubtful Tesla will be able to hit the $30,000 mark even with 1 motor.

Doubtful, but not betting against it - I'm not that dumb! Elon has already proved plenty of people wrong!

What about front wheel drive is this standard for the Chevrolet bolt EV?

What about front wheel drive is this standard for the Chevrolet bolt EV?

Aidan said:
All-wheel drive is the hope for most people in regards to EV vehicles.
"Most" seems like a bit of hyperbole to me. I'd be very surprised if more than half of EV owners / potential owners considered all wheel drive as a necessity or even as desirable, given its added cost.

mitchev said:
will the Tesla Model 3 have an awd option? I guess if Tesla can actually get better efficiency with 2 motors, but it also increases the cost. I'm doubtful Tesla will be able to hit the $30,000 mark even with 1 motor

Facts:

1. Tesla already said the Model 3 will be rear wheel drive on the base model. 0-60 in <6 seconds on the base model.

2. Tesla have already demonstrated and announced that all wheel drive will be an option on the car. The dual motor cars used as demonstrators during the reveal performed similarly to Tesla S 90D according to passengers. This is an estimated <5 second 0-60 with 4 passengers based on video evidence.

3. Tesla said they will ship highly optioned cars earlier than lower optioned cars in order to help fund the initial roll out, it is obvious that AWD and performance options will be part of the highly optioned initial run.

4. Tesla said clearly the base model with no options would be $35K US before incentives.

Ahh, this thread was resurrected. You're responding to a comment from early 2015. We've learned a lot since then.

SeanNelson said:
Aidan said:
"Most" seems like a bit of hyperbole to me. I'd be very surprised if more than half of EV owners / potential owners considered all wheel drive as a necessity or even as desirable, given its added cost.

For anyone living in regions where snow is a given awd is almost a must

Aidan said:
SeanNelson said:
Aidan said:

Well all I can say is that this Canadian begs to differ...

Aidan said:
SeanNelson said:
Aidan said:

I have lived in snowy regions for most of my life. AWD is overrated. Good snow tires are infinitely more important.

GetOffYourGas said:
Aidan said:
SeanNelson said:

I have lived in snowy regions for most of my life. AWD is overrated. Good snow tires are infinitely more important.

Good snow tires are most important but AWD would help as well

m16charged said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Aidan said:

Good snow tires are most important but AWD would help as well

"AWD would help" - I'm not denying this. But when someone says "awd is almost a must", I say they are exaggerating.

gmvoltguy said:
The Chevy Trax and Buick Encore are built on the same platform and they are both AWD, so it's definitely possible on that vehicle platform.

According the Car and Driver, the Bolt is built on an all new, unique platform.

Michael

Back