Anyone have wheelbase or other dimensions?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 68

I'm trying to get an idea of whether the Bolt is teeny tiny like a Honda Fit or a bit bigger. Does anyone have any dimensions of the Bolt? I'm specifically trying to figure out whether the cargo area on the Bolt would be sufficient for luggage for a family of 4.

Over on gm-volt.com I've estimated the relative sizes of the Bolt vs. Volt by comparing wheel sizes and overlaying a transparent Bolt on top of a Volt, but a pixel or 2 off could cause the sizing to be fairly inaccurate.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?159249-Bolt-Observations&p=2253865#post2253865

Side question, is there any way to publish photos directly in this forum, or does this forum only support posting links to pictures housed elsewhere?

Doesn't appear to be a way to upload photos, but yes you can include them from another URL

attachment.php

What was the resolution of the photos you started with? If you did it on a 2000 pixel wide image, the margin for error would be much less...

Instead of lining up the wheels, how about lining up Mary Barra instead?
I don't have time to find better photos of the vehicles and her yet, but something from the Auto Show should work?

635599463539512575-chevroletbolt15.JPG

635566512636897957-Volt-06.JPG

or this? looks like she is a little bit ahead of the vehicle though
635566512632529929-Volt-01.JPG

I actually had a different picture with Mary and looked up that she is 5'10" according to some website out there. So guessing that the heels make her 6'1" it looks like my overlay wasn't too far off. Next to the bolt the roof comes to her collar and next to the volt the roof comes to her...

At first I thought I might have scaled the bolt to be too big.

If your scaling is correct (and it doesn't seem like it would be too far off if it's wrong at all), then the Bolt is a nice sized EV, with an upright seating position for good visibility, and should have plenty of head room too!

Aidan said:
Can anyone confirm that the Chevy Bolt EV will have front wheel drive?
Absolutely. The big square lump at the right end of the battery pack in the image below goes under the rear seat - so you can see that the motor and most of the power electronics are packaged into the nose of the car. In fact aside from the suspension there's almost nothing at the back end, which is why the Bolt has such a deep cargo compartment and so much cargo room.

Bolt_EV-e1459996540561.jpg

I don't understand why the bolt front end is so complex when looks at the Faraday Futures concept pictures and the Tesla Model S are so clean, devoid of all those pipes and wires.

LLninja said:
I don't understand why the bolt front end is so complex when looks at the Faraday Futures concept pictures and the Tesla Model S are so clean, devoid of all those pipes and wires.
I don't know what you're looking at. The skateboard in the Tesla showroom with no wiring or cooling?
Here's the inside of a Model S (RWD only, so no motors and their wiring, cooling, etc. in the front:
2016-05-03%2B13.15%2B-%2BNo%2Bfrunk-1280.jpg

The Model S is a much, much longer and wider car, so more room for the electronics, but they're still there.

The Faraday Future concept? Really?

Compared to a gas car, EV's require:

drive motor (AC or DC)
power inverter (battery->motor)
AC->DC charger (wall outlet->battery)
battery temperature infrastructure (radiator, liquid coolant, etc)

Most cars (gas or EV) then require :

electric fan for liquid cooling
air conditioning compressor
electric power steering pump/regulator

If you put all that stuff in the front of a car, it looks like the Bolt.
If you split some of that in the front, and some in the rear, it looks like a Tesla, Smart, BMW i3, etc.

LLninja said:
Stop and think for a minute about what's needed up in the front end:

- motor
- high power inverter
- transmission (fixed gearing from motor to wheel speed)
- differential
- driveshafts and suspension
- steering column, rack, linkages, and booster
- AC (alternating current) charger
- A/C (air conditioning) compressor, along with refrigerant reservoir and pipes to the HVAC system, high voltage battery and condenser (front radiator) with fan
- Heating system, along with similar HVAC connections
- Brake booster and associated hydraulics (reservoir and connecting tubes)
- Window wiper assembly, along with fluid reservoir, pump, tubing, etc.
- possibly the 12V battery
...and I can almost guarantee I've missed on at least one or two other important components.

And of course all of this has been designed to fit in the smallest possible space so it's all crammed together.

SeanNelson said:
Aidan said:
Can anyone confirm that the Chevy Bolt EV will have front wheel drive?
Absolutely. The big square lump at the right end of the battery pack in the image below goes under the rear seat - so you can see that the motor and most of the power electronics are packaged into the nose of the car. In fact aside from the suspension there's almost nothing at the back end, which is why the Bolt has such a deep cargo compartment and so much cargo room.

Bolt_EV-e1459996540561.jpg

Thx

Here you go!

Specifications inches (mm)

Wheelbase 102.4 (2601)
Overall length 164 (4166)
Overall width 69.5 (1765)
Overall height 62.8 (1595)
Front track width 59.1 (1501)
Rear track width 59.1 (1501)
Head room, front 39.7 (1008)
Head room, rear 37.9 (963)
Shoulder room, front 54.6 (1387)
Shoulder room, rear 52.8 (1341)
Hip room, front 51.6 (1311)
Hip room, rear 50.8 (1290)
Leg room, front 41.6 (1057)
Leg room, rear 36.5 (927)
Overhang, front 32.9 (836)
Overhang, rear 28.7 (729)

Turning diameter, curb-to-curb, ft. (m) 35.4 (10.8)
Curb weight, lbs. (kg) 3563 (1616)
Cargo volume, behind 2nd row seat, cu. ft. (liters) 16.9 (478.6)
Seating capacity 2/3

Hope this helps!

Michael

tedsan said:
Does anyone have a ground clearance spec? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything.
I too have been waiting for a ground clearance spec. I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist in the wild yet.

Ground clearance and total battery capacity are the remaining unavailable Bolt EV specs on my list.

Here's my spec comparison of BEVs. (A big monitor helps...)
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/media/20161029-bev-comparison.116204/full

Back