Nissan and BMW offering Epower

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginforce

Why is the epower system beneficial or is it? Asking the question here because this forum has some knowledgeable users and I would like to read everyone's opinion pls

nissan-e-power-4.png

nissan-e-power-3.png

https://electrek.co/2016/11/02/nissan-takes-a-step-backward-in-electrification-introduces-gas-powered-range-extender-without-plug/

I don't know or understand the details of this but from what I have read it seems to be a road that the some auto manufactures may take as it is cheaper and more practical as far as doing away with charging. I could be very wrong......

“e-POWER borrows from the EV technology perfected in the Nissan LEAF…Unlike the LEAF, e-POWER adds a small gasoline engine to charge the high-output battery when necessary, eliminating the need for an external charger while offering the same high-output.”

http://insideevs.com/nissan-introduces-new-electric-motor-drivetrain-e-power/

Rather than use tech terms (like 'serial hybrid'), I'll use common words (and over-simplify) : the e-Power model uses the gas engine only as a generator to produce electricity when needed : the electric motor(s) propel(s) the vehicle. Depending on the size of the battery, the vehicle could be 'considered' an EV or a hybrid. The BMW i3 (with the gas engine 'range extender') is a perfect example of this. Without the gas engine option, it is a 'pure' EV. With the gas engine, it is still an EV : it has a battery that allows one to drive over 70 miles on pure electric, and recharge without using any gasoline.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hybrid

Hybrid: something that is formed by combining two or more things

An EV with a gasoline engine, regardless of how the two are shared (series, parallel, or somewhere in between), is by very definition a hybrid. It is silly that we have to specify "pure EV" or "BEV" (battery-electric vehicle) when we are talking about an EV that is not a hybrid.

GetOffYourGas said:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hybrid

Hybrid: something that is formed by combining two or more things

An EV with a gasoline engine, regardless of how the two are shared (series, parallel, or somewhere in between), is by very definition a hybrid. It is silly that we have to specify "pure EV" or "BEV" (battery-electric vehicle) when we are talking about an EV that is not a hybrid.

Hybrid : the offspring of two plants or animals of different species or varieties, such as a mule (a hybrid of a donkey and a horse).

One could just as easily define an EV as a vehicle whose motive power (to the wheels) is provided by an electric motor. The BMW i3 without an integrated generator is an EV. The same vehicle *with* an on-board generator for emergencies is still an EV. That's my take, it may not be yours. I'm happy with that.

SparkE said:
One could just as easily define an EV as a vehicle whose motive power (to the wheels) is provided by an electric motor. The BMW i3 without an integrated generator is an EV. The same vehicle *with* an on-board generator for emergencies is still an EV. That's my take, it may not be yours. I'm happy with that.
For what it's worth, governments define the i3 REx as a PHEV. This applies for tax incentives, HOV access, etc.
There is no "EREV" category (a marketing term coined by GM for the Volt). If it caan be propelled by it;s electric motoer, you can plug it in to charge it, and it also has an ICE, then it's categorized as a PHEV.

The original post depicts a hybrid - unless you can also plug it in to recharge the batteries.

There is a generally accepted distinction between a PHEV and an EREV.

A PHEV needs to use engine power to accomplish normal driving tasks, even when the battery is fully charged. Ford Energi products are examples of this...the electric motor alone won't allow the car to drive at normal freeway speeds, and certainly not uphill. The Plug-in-Prius is perhaps the most obnoxious example of this type of vehicle. Generally, PHEV cars have small batteries.

An EREV can fully function as an electric car while the battery is charged, and then becomes a hybrid. Volt and I3Rex are examples of this.

michael said:
There is a generally accepted distinction between a PHEV and an EREV.

A PHEV needs to use engine power to accomplish normal driving tasks, even when the battery is fully charged. Ford Energi products are examples of this...the electric motor alone won't allow the car to drive at normal freeway speeds, and certainly not uphill. The Plug-in-Prius is perhaps the most obnoxious example of this type of vehicle. Generally, PHEV cars have small batteries.

An EREV can fully function as an electric car while the battery is charged, and then becomes a hybrid. Volt and I3Rex are examples of this.

I guess it depends on what you classify as 'normal freeway speeds'. I have a friend with a 2014 PiP, and he drives it in all-electric mode on the highway (up to around 62 mph). In silicon valley, you consider yourself very lucky if you can get over 45 mph during rush hour. What *I* find annoying is the extremely short electric range.

I have another friend with a ford fusion energi, and he has no problems doing 70 mph in EV mode (no gas). Again, I would find the short EV range to be annoying - although it's about twice what the PiP can do. And he only lives about 6 miles from work (where he can charge).

The ford seems to be more of the "drives like an EV, but you won't get stuck". The PiP (which its super-short 11-ish miles range) is more of the "its a gas car with great mileage and lowered pollution, and it's electric in town". Both vehicles have their place. (Neither have their place in my garage ;) ). But I'd rather somebody drive one of those than a Durango or a RAV4 (gas).

michael said:
Yes, there's an important distinction to be made between what kind of power sources the car is equipped with and what it can operate with. Calling cars like the Volt a "hybrid" suggests that they're functionally the same as a Prius, which is most emphatically not the case.

SeanNelson said:
michael said:
Yes, there's an important distinction to be made between what kind of power sources the car is equipped with and what it can operate with. Calling cars like the Volt a "hybrid" suggests that they're functionally the same as a Prius, which is most emphatically not the case.
All PHEV's can fully function on electric alone. "Freeway Speed" is what? 55 mph? 65? 90?
The Ford's CAN get to 65 mph without the gas, the Volt can't get out of the driveway without firing the ICE when it's cold (ERDTT). I don't know of any PHEV that will never fire the ICE when the batteries are fully charged.

You could propose a definition of "Can pass the EPA test cycles without firing the ICE (those that can't will have a 0-xx AER).
Using that definition would yield the following as EREV's:
BMW i3 REx
Chevrolet Volt
Hyundai Sonata PHEV
Porche Cayenne S E-Hybrid

Fuel Economy.gov defines an EREV as a serial hybrid (which would exclude all but the BMW as the others sometimes operate in parallel).

An Energi can't follow the normal flow of traffic without using its engine. Plug in Prius can barely make it to the corner. A Volt can go for months without running its engine. Although I think it's dopey, there are some guys who have gone for years with the initial tank of gas, just to prove the point.

A PHEV is a hybrid that allows the user to pre-fill the battery from the wall. Without the engine, it's a dog.

An EREV is an EV that becomes a hybrid when the battery is exhausted.

I don't know about the other cars, but BMW and Volt have an additional characteristic...their performance in hybrid mode is substantially worse than their performance in EV mode. That might be a reasonable additional distinction...If you never plugged it in, would you notice the difference in performance

If you can't make it over a freeway hill (those of us in Los Angeles will recognize the Sepulveda Pass as a typical example) in the carpool lane without causing a traffic jam and getting the finger a dozen times, you can't achieve normal freeway speeds. 45 MPH isn't normal. BMW and Volt do this easily on electric power. Energi does not, Prius does not.

michael said:
An Energi can't follow the normal flow of traffic without using its engine. Plug in Prius can barely make it to the corner. A Volt can go for months without running its engine. Although I think it's dopey, there are some guys who have gone for years with the initial tank of gas, just to prove the point.

A PHEV is a hybrid that allows the user to pre-fill the battery from the wall. Without the engine, it's a dog.

An EREV is an EV that becomes a hybrid when the battery is exhausted.

I don't know about the other cars, but BMW and Volt have an additional characteristic...their performance in hybrid mode is substantially worse than their performance in EV mode. That might be a reasonable additional distinction...If you never plugged it in, would you notice the difference in performance

If you can't make it over a freeway hill (those of us in Los Angeles will recognize the Sepulveda Pass as a typical example) in the carpool lane without causing a traffic jam and getting the finger a dozen times, you can't achieve normal freeway speeds. 45 MPH isn't normal. BMW and Volt do this easily on electric power. Energi does not, Prius does not.
Lots of gray areas.
Prius Prime will accelerate in EV mode faster to 40 mph (and equal to 60 mph) as a standard Prius. It will likely do 0-60 in pure EV mode faster than a LEAF. Does that make it an EREV?
2016+ Volts will fire the ICE for more performance if you mash the go pedal (even with a fully charged battery). The Volt uses the ICE when it needs more power than the electric motor alone can provide - it will pop in and out of pure EV mode based on how much power you call for. No different than the original PIP, current Energi products, or any of the other PHEV's on the market. It just has a higher threshold for when that takes place.

The only reason the i3 REx ICE fires when the battery is not depleted is to provide cabin heat. Plus the ICE has no mechanical connection to the drive wheels.

Bottom line is EREV has no legal definition and the person using the term may have a very different idea of what it means than the person hearing the statement.

Here are the SAE-provided definitions:

E-REV: “A vehicle that functions as full-performance battery electric vehicle when energy is available from an onboard RESS [rechargeable energy storage system] and having an auxiliary energy supply that is only engaged when the RESS energy is not available.”

PHEV: “A hybrid vehicle with the ability to store and use off-board electrical energy in the RESS.”

The current generation Volt would not qualify as an EREV using this definition. (EREVs are by nature a subset of PHEV's).

DucRider said:
Prius Prime will accelerate in EV mode faster to 40 mph (and equal to 60 mph) as a standard Prius. It will likely do 0-60 in pure EV mode faster than a LEAF.

I don't think so.

Prius Prime has less than half the size battery of the Leaf. Discharge rate of 3C is fairly aggressive, and the Leaf comes close at 80kW output from a 24kWh battery. With a 8.8kWh battery, even with a 4C discharge rate, looks like less than half of the available power of the Leaf. Or over 8C discharge rate...

DucRider said:
A Prius Prime will accelerate in EV mode faster to 40 mph (and equal to 60 mph) as a standard Prius. It will likely do 0-60 in pure EV mode faster than a LEAF.
I can't say one way or the other about the Prime, but your statements are most certainly untrue about the original Plug-in Prius, which is also classified as a PHEV.

Which goes to prove my point: not all PHEV'S are created equal, and it can be very misleading to lump so-categorized cars together. Which is why I say that it's more important to understand how the car actually operates rather than what kind of propulsion systems it happens to have.

SeanNelson said:
DucRider said:
A Prius Prime will accelerate in EV mode faster to 40 mph (and equal to 60 mph) as a standard Prius. It will likely do 0-60 in pure EV mode faster than a LEAF.
I can't say one way or the other about the Prime, but your statements are most certainly untrue about the original Plug-in Prius, which is also classified as a PHEV.

Which goes to prove my point: not all PHEV'S are created equal, and it can be very misleading to lump so-categorized cars together. Which is why I say that it's more important to understand how the car actually operates rather than what kind of propulsion systems it happens to have.
Not all BEV's are created equal either:
Smart fortwo ED vs. Tesla Model X P100DL for example.
EREV is basically a subset of PHEV (but they are still all PHEV's). What vehicles are/should be included in that group depends on who you ask.

What vehicles would you classify as EREV's?
Only the Volt/ELR and i3 REx? Or would you include all the vehicles that complete the EPA hwy test cycle without firing their ICE?

DucRider said:
2016+ Volts will fire the ICE for more performance if you mash the go pedal (even with a fully charged battery). The Volt uses the ICE when it needs more power than the electric motor alone can provide - it will pop in and out of pure EV mode based on how much power you call for. No different than the original PIP, current Energi products, or any of the other PHEV's on the market. It just has a higher threshold for when that takes place.
That's false. The Volt never starts the gas engine due to vehicle speed or acceleration when it is in the default EV mode and there is usable charge left in the battery pack.

Where did you get the impression that the 2016+ Volt operates as you incorrectly described it? Could you possibly be thinking of the 2017 Cadillac CT6 plugin hybrid instead? The CT6 uses a repacked version of the Volt battery and an extended RWD variant of the Volt/Malibu transmission but it is not an EREV because Cadillac wanted to allow full performance by blending in the car's powerful turbo engine.

Here are the SAE-provided definitions:

E-REV: “A vehicle that functions as full-performance battery electric vehicle when energy is available from an onboard RESS [rechargeable energy storage system] and having an auxiliary energy supply that is only engaged when the RESS energy is not available.”

PHEV: “A hybrid vehicle with the ability to store and use off-board electrical energy in the RESS.”

The current generation Volt would not qualify as an EREV using this definition. (EREVs are by nature a subset of PHEV's).
False. The first and second generation Volts function the same way with respect to that GM SAE EREV definition.

The reference to "full-performance battery electric vehicle" is to a vehicle category definition in a CARB document that is footnoted in the SAE paper. If you carefully parse the surrounding discussion in the main definition section of that paper the EREV definition boils down to:

1. Must be highway capable in EV driving (not a golf cart)

2. Must have a RESS or battery pack for storing electricity

3. Must start off in EV mode when usable energy remains in the battery

4. Must not start the range extender due to vehicle speed or torque demand (acceleration).

And that's it. There are no other requirements. Notably, the definition says nothing about:

A. Climate controls or whether the engine can start to help generate cabin heat.

B. Fuel or engine maintenance modes which periodically start the engine to burn off stale gas or maintain engine lubrication.

C. The driver manually putting the car in Hold mode.

D. How the transmission operates. An EREV can be a series hybrid, a power-split parallel hybrid, a direct drive parallel hybrid with a convention manual or automatic transmission in addition to generator and traction motors, whatever else an engineer can think of. Once the range extender starts up the EREV definition no longer has any requirements.

The only cars that I can think of that obviously fit the SAE EREV definition are the Volt, ELR, and i3 REx. I'm told that the Ford Energi models have an "EV Now" mode that is persistent across restarts and which does not start the engine without driver agreement. I suppose that could qualify as EREV. The new Prius Prime does not qualify because it starts the engine at speeds above 84 mph and might also start the engine if you mash the accelerator all the way (I'm not certain about that).

In case anyone is interested, this is what it says in the 2017 Volt owner manual:

Electric Vehicle Operating Modes

System Operation
This vehicle is an Extended Range Electric Vehicle (EREV). It uses an electric propulsion system to drive the vehicle at all times. Electricity is the vehicle's primary source of energy, while gasoline is the secondary source.

The vehicle has two modes of operation: Electric and Extended Range. In Electric Mode, the vehicle is propelled by its electric drive unit only. It converts electrical energy into mechanical energy to drive the wheels. In Extended Range Mode, both the battery and the engine power the vehicle. The vehicle's performance remains nearly the same in either mode. See Driving for Better Energy Efficiency p. 26.

In Electric Mode, the vehicle does not use fuel or produce tailpipe emissions. During this primary mode, the vehicle is powered by electrical energy stored in the high voltage battery. The vehicle can operate in this mode until the battery has reached a low charge.

There are some conditions when the battery charge is high enough to provide Electric Mode operation, but the engine still runs. They are:
. Cold ambient temperatures.
. Hot or cold high voltage battery
temperatures.
. The hood being open or not completely closed and latched.
. Certain high voltage battery fault conditions.
. Engine Maintenance Mode or Fuel Maintenance Mode being run.

Extended Range Mode

When the vehicle reaches the end of its electric range, it switches to Extended Range Mode (ERM). In this secondary mode, electricity is produced by the fuel-powered engine. This secondary source of electric power extends the vehicle range. Operation will continue in ERM until the vehicle can be plugged in to recharge the high voltage battery and restore Electric Mode.....

JeffN said:
In case anyone is interested, this is what it says in the 2017 Volt owner manual:

Electric Vehicle Operating Modes

System Operation
This vehicle is an Extended Range Electric Vehicle (EREV). It uses an electric propulsion system to drive the vehicle at all times. Electricity is the vehicle's primary source of energy, while gasoline is the secondary source.

The vehicle has two modes of operation: Electric and Extended Range. In Electric Mode, the vehicle is propelled by its electric drive unit only. It converts electrical energy into mechanical energy to drive the wheels. In Extended Range Mode, both the battery and the engine power the vehicle. The vehicle's performance remains nearly the same in either mode. See Driving for Better Energy Efficiency p. 26.

In Electric Mode, the vehicle does not use fuel or produce tailpipe emissions. During this primary mode, the vehicle is powered by electrical energy stored in the high voltage battery. The vehicle can operate in this mode until the battery has reached a low charge.

There are some conditions when the battery charge is high enough to provide Electric Mode operation, but the engine still runs. They are:
. Cold ambient temperatures.
. Hot or cold high voltage battery
temperatures.
. The hood being open or not completely closed and latched.
. Certain high voltage battery fault conditions.
. Engine Maintenance Mode or Fuel Maintenance Mode being run.

Extended Range Mode

When the vehicle reaches the end of its electric range, it switches to Extended Range Mode (ERM). In this secondary mode, electricity is produced by the fuel-powered engine. This secondary source of electric power extends the vehicle range. Operation will continue in ERM until the vehicle can be plugged in to recharge the high voltage battery and restore Electric Mode.....
This is a simplified version of how the Volt functions. One of the things that makes the Volt such a great car is the ability to switch between serial and parallel hybrid modes, and even some that essentially combine both. As one example, in "Mountain Mode" with ~<50% SOC the engine will be used to supplement the two electric motors. This is apparently how Motor Trend got a 0-60 time 1.3 seconds faster than GMs official time.

Back