No fast charging?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marta

This picture doesn't look like an SAE combo quick charge plug...

2015-culture-bev-b7-316x246.jpg

But the official comment from GM is that the "Bolt EV concept is also designed to support DC fast charging."
Does that mean there's a different charge input somewhere on the vehicle, or they just haven't finalized the plug yet?

You're right, looks like a simple J1772 plug to me. Maybe this is a proof of concept vehicle that they rushed to get out to the show - it does say it is a concept, so it isn't totally production ready.

Also there's a chance (I'm not holding my breath though) that they will humble up and give Tesla a call, and negotiate a supercharger deal haha :D

I do wonder if GM has a fast-charging infrastructure plan though to take on Tesla, especially if the Bolt EV is to compete directly with the $30,000-ish Tesla Model E

Tesla need not worry - this is a Chevy Spark crossed with a Honda Fit EV, with some of the bad front end elements of the i3.

idknow said:
Tesla need not worry - this is a Chevy Spark EV crossed with a Honda Fit EV, with some of the bad front end elements of the i3.

Let's first see if Tesla will actually bring the Model 3 by 2017, and then see if they can bring it at around the same price-point, (some experts are guessing it will be closer to $50,000 than the $30,000 Tesla has been advertising), then we will see if Tesla has something to worry about.

I wouldn't bet against Tesla.

Yes, to achieve mass market price and have 200 or more miles range means a small and light vehicle, and those constraints apply to Tesla as well. However, Elon and Tesla have impressed before with their design, function and range.

I've been thinking about this - GM better have at least a dual 3.3kW charger option, or start with a 6kW charger base. There are way too many people that say it takes too long to charge at only 3.3 kW.

Also with a faster 6 or 6.6kW charger, then you can utilize the entire 'after midnight' period that utilities want you to use to charge up.

If GM only uses a 3.3kW charger with a 50 kWh battery pack, than that would be a pretty clear sign that GM doesn't actually want to sell many of these!

The way Mary is pushing this to market, I think she wants this thing to succeed, so it will need at least a 6.6kW charging option.

I'm guessing Chevy will go with more than ~7kW charging option.
3.3 is fine for a plug-in hybrid, but not a pure BEV

Plus, I'm betting they'll put some sort of quick charge as an option

Back