ground clearance on Bolt EV

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello!

Anyone knows what the ground clearance is on the Bolt EV? Trying to find out if this is a car for the Norwegian roads, which is bad where I live..

How bad are the roads there!?

Is it a concern for any other brand-new car like the LEAF etc? The ground clearance of all sedans in North America is typically in the 170-180mm range, with crossovers and SUVs more like 200-210mm.

I hope it's better than the gen1 Volt. I didn't get out of one dealers lot without scraping the front air dam. My LEAF is 200 mm for the front bumper. However there is some soft mud flap material in front of the front wheels which is 146 mm clearance.

Remember that the wheels of the Bolt are at the very ends of the car, with basically no overhang. That's what will ensure you will never hit the pavement when going over bumps on a Bolt.

I've never seen a ground clearance spec for the Bolt EV, and have been watching for one to appear for awhile. It's not significantly different than other cars as the perception of increased height comes from the battery being below the floor.

Thank you, GM, for giving enough clearance so the front end doesn't scrape the pavement like my Volt did when I drove over a dip or exited a drive way, and hitting cement stops in parking lots.

GetOffYourGas said:
Hmm. So there is room to lower it after all. Good. The Bolt sits WAY too high for my taste.

Ha! I feel the opposite.

I would like more clearance for driving over uneven ground etc. Sheesh! it even bottoms out when going over the speed bumps in our son's school parking lot!

Any ideas for gaining a bit of clearance?

Nils said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Hmm. So there is room to lower it after all. Good. The Bolt sits WAY too high for my taste.

Ha! I feel the opposite.

I would like more clearance for driving over uneven ground etc. Sheesh! it even bottoms out when going over the speed bumps in our son's school parking lot!

Any ideas for gaining a bit of clearance?

And I thought my roads are bad. I have never bottomed out the Bolt, even over taller speed bumps.

I wish it was higher , hell a cat will take out your front , I live in the country and have to dodge all manners of small critters , already had a racoon @ 65mph take out my fake bumper and window washer bottle , $1000 , then a cat knocked it apart and had to snap it back together
last month another racoon at 60 mph this time it snapped back together but not as good , another hit and I will have to have it repaired again

5 small animal strikes in 1.5 years

I am waiting for a rivian truck , hoping my Bolt stays together until then

Back