Smartphone integration

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grestep5621

I really miss on feature that I had on my 2014 Equinox and is not on the Bolt. When I bring up the phone app on the Bolt the addresses are not accessible to the turn by turn navigation. I used this feature all the time. They import all the numbers and texts, but not the address. Android Auto doesn't have that feature in the latest version either so here is what you have to do currently unless someone has a better way. Take the phone out of Android Auto mode and go to contacts. Use the contact address to get directions using Google Maps via the link. Start the navigation and stop it. Plug the phone into the usb cable to start Android Auto mode. Select Android Auto on the Bolt screen and hit the navigation button to start Google Maps on the Bolt screen. The address that you previously navigated to will now be on the screen for selection. If someone has a faster way, please post. Yes you can use voice command to navigate and that works, but it would be great if there were more integration on the turn by turn side as that is under GM's control. Android Auto's contact integration should be better also and in previous versions of Android there was a way to search contacts for addresses, but it isn't as good in the 7.1.1 version. Now you give nicknames and the Google Assistant is involved. The Bolt is a great platform and I am sure over time the smartphone integration will improve. Just missing the former ability to navigate directly from contacts.

This appears to be all down to Android. Chevy doesn't include any nav except through OnStar, Android Auto or CarPlay. I haven't tried the former yet but with CarPlay at least, the address book is integrated into the mapping. Ask Siri "take me to (person in your address book)," and it maps that route. I haven't tried choosing a name from my address book for mapping. I will see if that works, in the interests of science, but if the voice command side works I don't see the actual need.

Before Android 7.1.1 I was able to Voice Command to get directions to contact. Google seems to have replaced that with some nickname system that doesn't work well. Maybe 7.2 will be better.

Back