sbaker

Adding DC fast charge after purchase?

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:16 pm

I'm guessing that the answer to this question is a resounding "No", but I'll ask just in case - does anyone know if you can add the DC fast charging equipment to the Bolt after you've already purchased it and taken it home?

I convinced myself that I didn't really need DC fast charging because it doesn't really enable a long road trip** and most of my driving is well within the battery's range. But I just realized there's one use case where it would *really* come in handy. I'd happily pay the $750 if I could take it back to the dealer and have the fast charger installed, if that were an option.

** If you can, at most, add 90 miles of range in 30 minutes (as Chevy claims), then it would take 1 hour & 20 minutes to go from empty to full charge. This assumes that charging wouldn't slow down as the battery fills up, which isn't what happens, so in reality it'd take longer to get to a full charge, but let's ignore that for simplicity. So if you were driving at a steady 60 MPH, it'd take you 4 hours to empty the battery (again, optimistic assumptions on efficiency at highway speeds apply) and another 1.33 hours to fill back up - not very appealing.

emv

Re: Adding DC fast charge after purchase?

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:01 am

Answering based on the Spark (which really was the beta test for the Bolt). No! No way in the theological place of eternal punishment. And even if it could be done it wouldn't be close to $750. At least one Spark owner found this out the hard way after believing a less than reputable salesman.

michael

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:04 am

I'm facing the same decision. It basically adds $10/month to the lease and it's likely I would never use it, but I'm thinking to include this option.

It's a wobbler in my mind whether to get it. But I think you've crossed the bridge.
2013 Ford Focus Electric 51000 miles in 34 months, returned
2014 Volt, returned
2014 Volt, returned,

2017 Volt
2017 Volt
1967 Corvette 427
1962 Corvette 327

dandrewk

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:36 am

There are many dealers who I talk to who won't order a Bolt without fast charge option unless it's a special order for a customer.

SeanNelson

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:25 am

sbaker wrote:I convinced myself that I didn't really need DC fast charging because it doesn't really enable a long road trip** and most of my driving is well within the battery's range. But I just realized there's one use case where it would *really* come in handy.

This is exactly why forum members have been exhorting people to buy the Bolt with the DCFC option. It doesn't matter what you think you need today, the future always has a way of coming up and biting you on the you-know-where.

Nagorak

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:31 am

Don't buy a Bolt without DCFC. DCFC should have been a standard option. Right now it may not seem useful, but five years from now when chargers are more ubiquitous things may look different. On top of that it should help the resale value of the vehicle.

phil0909

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:25 am

sbaker wrote:But I just realized there's one use case where it would *really* come in handy.

What's your use case? Just curious.

LeftieBiker

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:17 am

One or three leaf owners (not lessees!) have apparently succeeded in adding QC (Chademo) to their cars, using salvaged and new parts, but it isn't generally considered to be very do-able. I got a fantastic lease deal on my Leaf, in part because it lacks QC, but since we finally got combo stations in my area just last year, that disqualifies my car from continued ownership. In 3 years the Bolts that lack DCFC will probably be the ones that get sold, eventually, for $10,000.
2018 Nissan Leaf SL with Pro Pilot

2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf modules.

Mailman13

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:27 am

LeftieBiker wrote:One or three leaf owners (not lessees!) have apparently succeeded in adding QC (Chademo) to their cars, using salvaged and new parts, but it isn't generally considered to be very do-able. I got a fantastic lease deal on my Leaf, in part because it lacks QC, but since we finally got combo stations in my area just last year, that disqualifies my car from continued ownership. In 3 years the Bolts that lack DCFC will probably be the ones that get sold, eventually, for $10,000.

Now that's an accurate post on depreciation of the Leaf.
My 2013 Leaf with QC had a MSRP of $28,000 I believe when I leased it. After my two-year lease was up, they offered it to me for $8000!!!

LeftieBiker

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:47 am

My 2013 LEAF with QC had a MSRP of $28,000 I believe when I leased it. After my two-year lease was up, they offered it to me for $8000!!!

Ironically, if Nissan hadn't been so slow to budge on the high residuals in 2013 (looking at you now, GM!) they could have sold a lot more of them to lessees for more than $10, and seen a lot fewer of them auction for much less than that.
2018 Nissan Leaf SL with Pro Pilot

2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf modules.

Return to “Technical Discussions”