Dreaderus

Re: I had a full aftermarket sound system installed. Major improvement!

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:54 pm

if you just replace the amp in the premiere how much better would it sound?

flamaest

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Do you have any pictures of the door speaker replacement work? Hoping to get into these with a partial walk-through.

Cheers.

CGameProgrammer

Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:54 am

No, the entire door speaker install only took them about an hour. I had walk off to go to a restaurant and when I got back it was already finished. But that install was really simply, you take off the inner door panels and replace the existing speakers with the new ones. No new wiring or anything, just a straightforward replacement, I'm pretty sure.

Nagorak

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:42 am

The hardest part of a speaker install is removing the door panels, which may seem intimidating but it's usually not that hard, provided you have directions on how to do it (don't just try to rip the panels off without knowing what screws to remove first).

Posatronic

Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:04 pm

Sounds good. However the premier upgrade( you get more than radio upgrade) sounds really good to me. It's better than my other cars jbl and way better than the suburban Bose radio. Very high quality to me but to each their own. If you happy then it's worth it.
2017 Bolt EV
2008 Prius
1991 Lumina Euro sport
1992 Saturn SL2
2005 Chevy Trailblazer EXT
1997 Mazda Miata
1988 Olds Calais
1977 Plymouth Valera (drive not own)
1985 Silverado (drive not own)
1967 Mustang (drive not own)

JSlip

Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:08 am

Just curious - do you know if the front tweeters were running from Their own outputs on the head unit, or was there a crossover or high pass filter connected in parallel via the outputs running to the front mids in the doors?

LeftieBiker

Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:53 am

The thin steel strap used for brackets to hold the sub down detract from the quality look of the installation, and they could easily fatigue and break in a year or two. I'd replace them with something thicker, even if they aren't bearing much load. Even solid steel strap with drilled holes would be better.
2018 Nissan Leaf SL with Pro Pilot

2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf modules.

JSlip

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:27 am

Hey man - looks (and I can only assume sounds) awesome!

I am looking at an upgrade myself - I have torn apart the dash, and got a look at the stock amp. I would guess you have bypassed it completely. There is an input harness and an output one. One (bottom) is white and the other (top) is brown. Do you know which is which?

Just also curious who you had do it...

Thanks!

NeilBlanchard

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:47 pm

tgreene wrote:I wonder how much the GM Premier + Bose system would benefit from an improved amplifier. That might be a relatively straightforward and low cost upgrade. Is anybody thinking about doing this?

I am pretty sure the Bose amp has a heavy-handed DSP unit in it, so you would have to replace the drivers, as well. The Bose woofer (not a SUBwoofer) lives in the same spot where he put the sub.

My question is how did the OP support the floor above the subwoofer?

SmokingRubber

Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:34 pm

I'm pretty happy with the Bose system. It sounds very clean for a stock setup. I have a $4k system in my FJ Cruiser so I know what a great system sounds like. The Bolt's Bose system doesn't even come close at extreme volumes, BUT it still sounds pretty decent. It doesn't HIT like my FJ does, but it's clean.

Every now and then I take my FJ to work instead of the Bolt. It's a treat because I can crank the volume so loud that I can sing along without hearing myself. "MOVE BI^$# - GET OUT THE WAY!" :lol: :shock:
2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier (DD)
2016 Mazda CX-5 Gran Touring (Wife's DD)
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser (4x4 beachmobile)
2016 Mazda 3 Touring

Return to “Technical Discussions”