Best range and efficiency - what are you getting?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchev

When I test drove my Bolt before leaving the dealership I saw it said 231 miles, but ever since then it's been going lower.

I assume that's because of my overall driving averages.
This morning when I got in, it was cold out, and I had the heat on, but it said 208 miles.

What is everyone else getting?

I heard there is a miles per kWh stat but I can't seem to find it in the display....

During cold weather I'm typically around 3.7 mi/kWH. Without climate settings I have seen it as high as 4.2 mi/kWH

This is just according to the DIC screen in the car

I'm seeing 2 different numbers. In the mychevy app it shows 3.0 and in the car's trip meter it is 3.4 mpk

Anyone know the reason for the inaccuracy? It happened on my Spark EV too

I'm getting about 2.9 miles per kwh, but it's also "winter" and my drive is short, so I blast the cabin heat. The Spark EV used to average about 4.3 m/kwh over the long haul, though I'd have days I'd get 5+ miles per kwh.

After ten days, I've gotten between 3.5-4.2 miles per KwH. This compares to 4.2-4.4 miles per KwH on my 2013 Leaf. I assume the difference is due to (1) the extra weight of the larger battery, (2) the battery thermal control system, and (3) the fact that I'm driving it like a normal ICE powered car now that I do not have range anxiety (e.g. higher speeds, full climate control, etc.)

If you are like me, it could be because you are in the garage trying various adjustments with the car on. Not at all conducive to a high m/kwh rating.

I've been getting between 4.2 and 4.6 mi/kWh here in southern california. I don't have to use the cabin heater or AC much, and my commute is a 13 mile (one way) mix of freeway and stop-and-go traffic.

I think I know why the my Chevy app energy numbers and yours don't match (mine don't either).

The myChevy app info in the "cloud" counts the energy used for the initial charge. Yup. It did. Yup that's dumb.

Example from my car:

Arrived at dealer with 10 miles and low battery.
I asked dealer to fully charge before I took delivery and they did.

Dealer put in 50 kWh.
Chevy app read 50 kWh / 10 miles.

Great.... I have a record now of 5 kWh PER MILE when a conservative driver (me) drives at a rate of 5 miles per kWh.

Now it will dilute out over time... but unfortunately for the new owners it gives you crappy numbers for a really long time.

(After 100 mile the MyChecy App now says 1.4 miles per kWh when really I'm getting about 4.7 miles per kWh. )

:evil: dumb

gpsman said:
I think I know why the my Chevy app energy numbers and yours don't match (mine don't either).

The myChevy app info in the "cloud" counts the energy used for the initial charge. Yup. It did. Yup that's dumb.

Example from my car:

Arrived at dealer with 10 miles and low battery.
I asked dealer to fully charge before I took delivery and they did.

Dealer put in 50 kWh.
Chevy app read 50 kWh / 10 miles.

Great.... I have a record now of 5 kWh PER MILE when a conservative driver (me) drives at a rate of 5 miles per kWh.

Now it will dilute out over time... but unfortunately for the new owners it gives you crappy numbers for a really long time.

(After 100 mile the MyChecy App now says 1.4 miles per kWh when really I'm getting about 4.7 miles per kWh. )

:evil: dumb

For a while, I also believed this was the issue. But as I drive more and more miles, the amount of the discrepancy, in #kWh, is not constant, it appears to be increasing. This implies that something else is going on. It would be helpful to know what the error is. Anyone know?

Zoomit said:
myChevrolet app data includes 20% charging losses?

No, that's not it - only the lifetime numbers include the discrepancy; efficiency since last full charge appears to be correct so it cannot include 20% charging losses.

Plus, that would be a stupid thing for the app to do anyway. Of course, it seems clear that they are doing SOMETHING stupid...

I was referring to the discrepancy between the lifetime efficiency data in the app (or available online) and any "lifetime" data tabulated from the car, for example a trip odometer that has never been reset. For my Spark EV, it's a 20% difference which I believe is to account for charging losses.

Zoomit said:
I was referring to the discrepancy between the lifetime efficiency data in the app (or available online) and any "lifetime" data tabulated from the car, for example a trip odometer that has never been reset. For my Spark EV, it's a 20% difference which I believe is to account for charging losses.

No, that's not right either. My Bolt shows a 15% difference (the trip odometer has not been reset since the first 8 miles driven on the car. I'm over 2,000 miles now). But the difference was much higher - like 75% - during the first week I owned the car. Makes no sense for charging losses to be 75% then and 15% now.

Of course, your Spark may be doing something different. But this explanation does not work for the Bolt. Thanks, Zoomit

I own the car a week now and the range has been good. On my first trip which was 122 miles from Newport Beach to Indian Wells, ca. I started out with 232 miles on the charge and after the 122 mile drive I had 129 miles left. Pretty good for first drive at an average of 65 MPH. Yesterday when I started out the charge showed 244 on the dash and after driving all day in town and a little freeway I only used 44 miles of charge and drove over 50 miles. The Max range showed 292 on the dash which was the highest I have seen.

I think I read somewhere that the Bolt EV only computes consumption data (mi/kWh) for the most recent 50 miles.

So maybe while your trip odometer is "lifetime" your electrical use is recent history?

This is typical for auto makers.
In my Ford Hybrid, the fuel efficiency gauge only keeps "500 data points" which after many years I surmised to mean "500 minutes" of drive history. Which is by coincidence or by design, approximately one tank.

I guess car makers feel long-term data is irrelevant to the typical owner.

phil0909 said:
Zoomit said:

No, that's not right either. My Bolt shows a 15% difference (the trip odometer has not been reset since the first 8 miles driven on the car. I'm over 2,000 miles now). But the difference was much higher - like 75% - during the first week I owned the car. Makes no sense for charging losses to be 75% then and 15% now.

Of course, your Spark may be doing something different. But this explanation does not work for the Bolt. Thanks, Zoomit

Back