Apple AirPods and CarPlay

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurL

Has anyone tried to use Apple AirPods with CarPlay and what were your observations?

I've read an article that says the microphone works very well.

Do you find any issue connecting as a separate Bluetooth device?
Does Siri work with a double tap of the AirPod?
Are there any conflicts that you have observed with the iPhone connected with either USB or BlueTooth?

My Bolt is sked to come off production line in two weeks. 6 week order window for AirPods. Trying to decide if I want to order them now.

I don't understand why you would use AirPods or some other hands-free device when the car comes with a hands-free system. The sound quality of the car's built-in hands free system via Bluetooth is already pretty good, and I imagine that the USB/CarPlay connection will be just as good.

devbolt said:
I don't understand why you would use AirPods or some other hands-free device when the car comes with a hands-free system. The sound quality of the car's built-in hands free system via Bluetooth is already pretty good, and I imagine that the USB/CarPlay connection will be just as good.

Wearing any sort of earphones while driving in your car is asking for trouble, particularly if they are in both ears. You need to be able to hear what's happening outside the car. A single ear BT headset is one thing, but something like AirPods that are designed to be immersive is just a bad idea.

Back