Problems, Bugs, Weird Stuff, Glitches, Concerns Here

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpsman

Lets keep a "glitches" thread going here all in one place.

Bad stuff I've had happen:

-Heat comes on when all indications are it is off

-Touch screen goes completely black

-Radio stuck at A.M. 540 - the lowest Frequency - a frequency I have never used - and I mean STUCK - just static - no way to change volume (stuck at 20 which is kind of loud) - no way to mute - no way to change source - no way to shut it off - neither software or hardware buttons would change anything. Other aspects of touch screen worked so it was not a complete software freeze- just the audio software froze up. (I couldn't take the water-boarding like torture of constant loud static for long and was forced to stop the vehicle on a dark road with no shoulder and power down and "reboot" the whole car.)

Loud grinding sound when going into Park.

Why do I feel like a Beta tester?
GM are you reading these pages?

If you have any air pointing towards the defrosters, the heat will come on regardless of your settings, whenever necessary to defrost the windows.

From what I have read so far, and I have read a lot of forums and Facebook groups, the Bolt is doing great so far. Knock on wood, I don't feel at all like a beta tester.

gpsman said:
Lets keep a "glitches" thread going here all in one place.

[snip]

GM are you reading these pages?

Chevy has it's own Bolt forum but almost no one appears to be using it, which is why I switched over to this one.

See: http://chevroletforum.com/forum/bolt-ev-112/

Same thing. Touch screen comes up totally black at times. No radio either.

Seems to self correct after about 5-10 minutes. I am hitting the power button several times during that, it may affect it.

Appears to be a bug.

I've read several instances of the screen going black, then rebooting, while Apple CarPlay is being used. It happened to me as well.

Keep in mind, the API for CarPlay (and I believe Android as well) is still in beta. Expect glitches as it evolves. An updated version of CarPlay arrives with the next iOS, which should be released real soon.

Why do I feel like a Beta tester?

I knew there would be some issues since I got one of the first 100 or so cars to be made. I'm not worried about it, and the car is a good car.

But there is always that issue of calling up the maker of anything technical made today and you get that standard bullsh*t answer about "well, bring it in for service... we have never heard of that issue before", when your searches are turning up dozens of other people with the same issue.

Raise awareness of the bugs, that's all.

Please post if you have an LT or a Premier Bolt. Also post if you have a Bose Audio system. Thanks!

Only issue I have with my Premier with Bose, is that my iPhone 6 Bluetooth connection is irregular. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it disconnects for no reason. I put the phone in the cup holder or on the passenger seat when I drive, so it's close to the Dash, thus should not be a range issue.

Am thinking of disabling the WiFi, since I don't use it anyway to see if the 2.4 GHz spectrum is too crowded for Bluetooth to be "happy", but I don't it.

Scott

Using Waze in conjunction with any other non-phone audio (FM/AM/Sirrus) radio - Waze does not correctly change back to the original source after announcements. Front of announcements are chopped. Of course radio integration works perfect with Apple Maps, so I think this either a Waze bug or a GM bug. I don't believe Carplay is in the picture here, but would be interested in knowing if Android Auto does the same thing?

I have seen the screen go black - usually pushing the power button again clears it up.

I have seen inconsistencies when the front camera is available - even when under 5 mph moving fwd in a parking garage.

Fix night vision on the rear view mirror camera view - almost useless at night.

I think GM should have the brake lights on when stopped in L - I have noticed people getting confused behind me when the brake light goes off at low speed.

Fix the dang seats and offer to exchange them w/ new design.

Driving the Bolt w/o plugging it in to the USB connection drains my Samsung S5 battery, because it activates the Android Auto app for phone contacts even if I don't use the Projection feature for navigation.

Fortunately, the S5 uses removable/replaceable batteries but I am finding it an annoyance because I don't want to have to plug in the phone each time I use the car just to preserve the battery. Only have 1 extra battery but may have to buy one or 2 to keep in the car just in case.

SparkE said:
I just quit the Android Auto app on the phone after I start up the car. That doesn't work for you?

That should work. Also, there is an 'auto launch' setting for Bluetooth connection in Android Auto settings. It can be turned off.

phil0909 said:
SparkE said:
I just quit the Android Auto app on the phone after I start up the car. That doesn't work for you?

That should work. Also, there is an 'auto launch' setting for Bluetooth connection in Android Auto settings. It can be turned off.

Having tried either yet. Just realized that the battery drain was happening. Will try them the next time out.

Update 2/18/17:

Made the effort to turn off Android Auto each time I got into the car today while driving around. It's a PITA to do this. Found under "Settings" where I could disable the auto-launch of Android Auto in my phone but also too much trouble to turn on and off when needed.

The only thing I can figure out to do is just turn off Bluetooth before starting the car. That's the easiest thing to do on my phone and will just do that when I don't want the car to connect w/the phone.

I continue to have Bluetooth connectivity problems. We have two phones... a Nexus 6P and a Nexus 5X (both through Google Fi). Connections to the Bolt through Bluetooth with either phone have been erratic over the 5 weeks we've had the Bolt. The phones do connect when when used through USB. Earlier - on this site - someone suggested that I turn off the OnStar WiFI hotspot... because of possible interference between locally strong Bluetooth and WiFi signals. I did that... and for a short time the phones did connect through Bluetooth... but after a day or two the Bluetooth connection issues returned.

I am taking the Bolt into Rydell on Friday to have that and other issues seen to. Advice ahead of that would be useful.

Thank you, Bob in Northridge

It seems you NEED to let the car boot up.... let the inital animations on the screens run their course, and wait for the main home screen to pop up before shifting out of park.

Two, maybe three times I have hit the start button then immediately put it in D or R and the car moves right away, but this caused the center screen to freeze up. Nada until I quit and shut down the car, open the driver door, and then close the door and restart. (Without opening the door the freeze would persist for at least 10 minutes.)

The dashboard shows that the Charge Door is Open when it is actually closed. Everything appears to be functioning properly. Anybody came across this and know of a way to reset this?

gpsman said:
Two, maybe three times I have hit the start button then immediately put it in D or R and the car moves right away, but this caused the center screen to freeze up. Nada until I quit and shut down the car, open the driver door, and then close the door and restart.
You can reboot the infotainment system by holding down the "Home" and "Fast Forward" buttons for 10 seconds. That might be less hassle than what you described.

siennared said:
The dashboard shows that the Charge Door is Open when it is actually closed. Everything appears to be functioning properly. Anybody came across this and know of a way to reset this?

Did you open and close the door to see if it changes state ?

Back