Driving in L and brake lights

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fulmine

I have been driving in L, enjoying the automatic braking. A friend asked me if I were foregoing brake lights by using L to stop. I looked at the manual and could find nothing. The law requires brake lights while applying the brakes; if easing off of the accelerator causes braking, then maybe there ought to be brake lights when stopping in L. And if there are no brake lights, it is safe to stop in L without them? Did anyone check to see if brake lights come on when stopping in L? If not, I will have my wife follow me and find out.

As soon as you take your foot off the accelerator, the brake lights come on!

This is a BIG improvement over my 2013 Volt!

Fulmine said:
I have been driving in L, enjoying the automatic braking. A friend asked me if I were foregoing brake lights by using L to stop. I looked at the manual and could find nothing. The law requires brake lights while applying the brakes; if easing off of the accelerator causes braking, then maybe there ought to be brake lights when stopping in L. And if there are no brake lights, it is safe to stop in L without them? Did anyone check to see if brake lights come on when stopping in L? If not, I will have my wife follow me and find out.
When driving in L, I suspect the Bolt's brake lights respond in a similar manner to the Spark EV. When you completely let off of the accelerator pedal, the brake lights automatically come on. You can check this at night by taking your foot off of the accelerator and, by looking in you DS mirror, checking to see if the brake light comes on immediately. The Spark EV originally had about a 1 to 1.5 second delay. That was corrected by a software update b y the dealer.

Using the Regen paddle on the rear of the left side of the steering wheel in D also triggers the brake lights!

MichaelLAX said:
Using the Regen paddle on the rear of the left side of the steering wheel in D also triggers the brake lights!

Always, or only sometimes? How about if you've already slowed to 3 mph. I don't think the paddle reactivates the brake lights in that case.

It would be nice to have a complete answer as to when brake lights come on. I have not seen one yet.

Don't know about the relationship between the Regen paddle and the brakes but, during my test drive, the sales rep told me that the brake lights come on while in Low whenever you lift your foot off the accelerator, even when you do not step on the brake.

Have not tried to verify this yet. It's easy enough to do. However, whenever I slow to a stop L, I always step on the brake pedal at the end anyway to secure the stop and assume the brake lights come on then, as would be expected in any other car.

When stopped, you should always use the brake pedal; to keep from rolling on a slight slope, or when someone tail-ends you, and would otherwise push you into the middle of cross-traffic.
Personally I'll keep my brake-foot habits. Single-footed driving is for those who have only one foot.

phil0909 said:
MichaelLAX said:

Always, or only sometimes? How about if you've already slowed to 3 mph. I don't think the paddle reactivates the brake lights in that case.

It would be nice to have a complete answer as to when brake lights come on. I have not seen one yet.
I consistently drive in L and use one pedal driving. I only use the brake pedal if I am forced to slow faster than regen will allow; such as suddenly the light turns yellow or a car in front of me hits his brakes, etc.

I do not have that much experience with the Regen Paddle and D; I believe I read that it triggers the brake light in the manual and that makes sense to be consistent with the experience of taking your foot off of the accelerator in L.

Remember, the Regen Paddle is only effective when you are not using either pedal; and if you are in L and are not using either pedal you are already regening if you came off the accelerator (and the brake light would be on);, so the Regen Paddle would only separately trigger the brake light if you are in D or if you came off the brake pedal in L. Somewhat confusing...

This has been discussed here many times. You should search before you post.

The brake lights come on if the car's deceleration exceeds 0.1g or the brakes are used.

Patronus said:
The brake lights come on if the car's deceleration exceeds 0.1g or the brakes are used.
Neither of the above criterion covers the case where you've come to a complete stop by taking your foot off both pedals in L mode. In which case presumably the brake lights stay on even after the deceleration falls below 0.1g.

Cheers, Wayne

Patronus said:

Personally I find the "search" functions lacking and the newer threads fulfilling!

If you find them redundant or boring, feel free not to read the newer threads!

wwhitney said:
Neither of the above criterion covers the case where you've come to a complete stop by taking your foot off both pedals in L mode. In which case presumably the brake lights stay on even after the deceleration falls below 0.1g.

It may be presumable, but it is apparently false nonetheless. I've heard that the brake light does not remain on in this situation, and some Bolters are concerned that this could compromise safety. I have not tested it myself, and I am not overly concerned about the safety implications.

Patronus said:

Thanks Patronus. I'd be interested in the source of this info, and whether the driver is given any indication of the accelerometer measurement (so we can know when the brake lights are illuminated).

FYI, I did try searching on "0.1g", but came up empty, even though this expression appears several times in this very thread. Apparently Michael is right about the search function capabilties...

The brake lights come on based on g level of the deceleration.

The lights are off when you are at a dead stop.

The lights are off when you are at a dead stop.
Unless you forget what you were taught in Drivers Training, and don't keep your foot on the brake when stopped: Always!

I'd like to see a definitive statement from Chevy as well.

I hope everybody knows by now that the paddle provides a lot stronger regenerative braking than just being in L, and it improves your ability to stop without braking even when you're in L. So THE most efficient way to drive a Bolt is to use L *AND* the paddle. I stupidly took 8 months to figure this out, and only when I read about it in a recent review. The reviewer said that the engineers of the Bolt have figured out THE best system of regenerative braking of ANY electric car ever.

jeffsyrop said:
So THE most efficient way to drive a Bolt is to use L *AND* the paddle.
Actually, the most efficient way to drive a Bolt is to *AVOID* using *ANY* braking if at all possible. For example, if you see a red light ahead of you it's more efficient to coast and allow your speed to slowly decay as you approach the light than it is to drive at full speed to the point where you need maximum regen to slow down and stop. There are two reasons for this:

(a) you don't waste the power needed to maintain full speed over that distance, and

(b) the longer it takes you to get to the light the better the chance that it will turn green before you arrive, thus avoiding the need to come to a complete stop and then have to waste power to get back up to speed again.

Patronus said:

I found the discussion very helpful. No need to chastise people who don't take the time to search prior posts.

MichaelLAX said:
Patronus said:

Personally I find the "search" functions lacking and the newer threads fulfilling!

If you find them redundant or boring, feel free not to read the newer threads!

I agree! I prefer to see the newer threads.

SeanNelson said:
jeffsyrop said:
So THE most efficient way to drive a Bolt is to use L *AND* the paddle.
Actually, the most efficient way to drive a Bolt is to *AVOID* using *ANY* braking if at all possible. For example, if you see a red light ahead of you it's more efficient to coast and allow your speed to slowly decay as you approach the light than it is to drive at full speed to the point where you need maximum regen to slow down and stop. There are two reasons for this:

(a) you don't waste the power needed to maintain full speed over that distance, and

(b) the longer it takes you to get to the light the better the chance that it will turn green before you arrive, thus avoiding the need to come to a complete stop and then have to waste power to get back up to speed again.

You may want to have a look at this international regulation, specifically section 5.2.22.4.
One may think that GM, like other car makers, are aware and/or follow these requirements.

https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/R13hr2e.pdf

Back