Tttait
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:37 pm

More juice for charging phone while using Android Auto

Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:52 pm

I discovered quickly that the 1 amp USB charging port in the Bolt wasn't cutting it, particularly while running Android Auto. The battery in my phone would still run down slowly. If I didn't want to use Android Auto I could use a 12v charger in the lighter plug that gives me 2 or 3 amps, but I'd lose the Android Auto capability if I plugged in there.

On a hunch I purchased one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047 ... UTF8&psc=1

or search amazon for StarTech 3-Feet USB Y Cable for External Hard Drive - Dual USB A to Micro B

How you use this in the end depends on how hungry your phone is. I believe that it is able to draw power from both of the male usb connectors. You should plug the black colored usb connector (Data + Power) into your port in the center console near the gear shift, and the small end into your phone. This is like any other usb cable and will allow android auto to work. The red connector (power only - no data) can be plugged into the second usb port in the center console and you will then have, I believe 2 amps of power available to charge the phone. if instead you used a usb extension cable and plug the red cable into a charger in your 12v port, you may have even more power available to the phone, depending on the amperage rating of that port.

If you do use both the ports in the center console and therefore don't have a port for your passenger in the front seat do remember that there may be a wireless charging port by the ebrake that they might be able to use, or plugs in the rear.

If you have the same problem with an Apple phone or ipad you may be able to find adaptors to make this cable plug into your device as well, but I live in the Android world and use standard usb connectors and don't have to worry about the various flavors of Apple cables.

By the way Chevrolet - 1 Amp charging ports - you gotta be kidding me...?

Tom

phil0909
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:25 pm

Re: More juice for charging phone while using Android Auto

Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:28 pm

Tttait wrote:By the way Chevrolet - 1 Amp charging ports - you gotta be kidding me...?


Yes, I agree, the puny USB ports were a poor design choice by Chevrolet.

My results with a Nexus 6P are better than yours - my charge increases slowly while using Android Auto. I also got a Y cable, and even plugging the phone into both front USB ports does not produce rapid charging, just slow. I imagine tapping into the 12v would probably enable rapid charging while using AA, but it does not seem worth the hassle, or the jumble of wires.

The wireless charging slot is, of course, useless, other than as a place to stick your phone.

Maxters
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:01 am
Location: Concord, CA

Re: More juice for charging phone while using Android Auto

Mon May 29, 2017 5:23 am

Tttait wrote:I discovered quickly that the 1 amp USB charging port in the Bolt wasn't cutting it, particularly while running Android Auto. The battery in my phone would still run down slowly. If I didn't want to use Android Auto I could use a 12v charger in the lighter plug that gives me 2 or 3 amps, but I'd lose the Android Auto capability if I plugged in there.

On a hunch I purchased one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047 ... UTF8&psc=1

or search amazon for StarTech 3-Feet USB Y Cable for External Hard Drive - Dual USB A to Micro B

By the way Chevrolet - 1 Amp charging ports - you gotta be kidding me...?

Tom


Now I just need to find a USB-C version..


Maxters
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:01 am
Location: Concord, CA

Re: More juice for charging phone while using Android Auto

Tue May 30, 2017 3:08 am

Tttait wrote:https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LYCBO0C/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1496073403&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=USB+type+C+adapter&dpPl=1&dpID=411xDO-3odL&ref=plSrch

These work.


I have a "cigarette" 12v adapter that has USB-C (higher power / fast charge),

I wish there was the USB-C with the higher amperage and Android Auto.

I wonder how hard it would be for USB-C on one end and the other end be split with USB-C (power) and USB-A (data Android Auto)

Tttait
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:37 pm

Re: More juice for charging phone while using Android Auto

Tue May 30, 2017 7:01 am

If you get the Y cable mentioned above, and put the adapter tip on it that's precisely what this setup does.

The red plug on the cable is for power only, the black is power and data. If you plug both into the cars ports then you should get 2 amps of power. If you plug the red into a fast charger like you mentioned, you'll get 3.1 to 4.1 amps. Your phone likely maxes out at 3 amps.

scbolt
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:06 am

Re: More juice for charging phone while using Android Auto

Tue May 30, 2017 8:52 am

Tttait wrote:If you get the Y cable mentioned above, and put the adapter tip on it that's precisely what this setup does.

The red plug on the cable is for power only, the black is power and data. If you plug both into the cars ports then you should get 2 amps of power. If you plug the red into a fast charger like you mentioned, you'll get 3.1 to 4.1 amps. Your phone likely maxes out at 3 amps.


Anyone found a USB C version of the Y splitter cable? My phone needs a USB C cable (instead of Micro USB)

Hoping it is technically possible to split data and power between two cables for USB C.

User avatar
gbobman
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:18 pm

Re: More juice for charging phone while using Android Auto

Tue May 30, 2017 4:56 pm

scbolt wrote:
Tttait wrote:If you get the Y cable mentioned above, and put the adapter tip on it that's precisely what this setup does.

The red plug on the cable is for power only, the black is power and data. If you plug both into the cars ports then you should get 2 amps of power. If you plug the red into a fast charger like you mentioned, you'll get 3.1 to 4.1 amps. Your phone likely maxes out at 3 amps.


Anyone found a USB C version of the Y splitter cable? My phone needs a USB C cable (instead of Micro USB)

Hoping it is technically possible to split data and power between two cables for USB C.

USB, no matter which version, allows for this.

You would be better served - both by price and by practicality - to use the USB C mini adapter at the end of the chain to your phone. Since all the way to the car is still on the "original" USB form factor, this will be the only machine-specific part you'll need.

Here's an example at Amazon - without any referral crap attached to the link (if it does, I didn't put it there) https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Adapter-Co ... 01AHKYIRS/
2017 Chevy Bolt LT (1st EV!)
2004 Chevy Monte Carlo SS
(found a new home :cry: )

scbolt
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:06 am

Re: More juice for charging phone while using Android Auto

Wed May 31, 2017 1:01 am

gbobman wrote:
scbolt wrote:
Tttait wrote:If you get the Y cable mentioned above, and put the adapter tip on it that's precisely what this setup does.

The red plug on the cable is for power only, the black is power and data. If you plug both into the cars ports then you should get 2 amps of power. If you plug the red into a fast charger like you mentioned, you'll get 3.1 to 4.1 amps. Your phone likely maxes out at 3 amps.


Anyone found a USB C version of the Y splitter cable? My phone needs a USB C cable (instead of Micro USB)

Hoping it is technically possible to split data and power between two cables for USB C.

USB, no matter which version, allows for this.

You would be better served - both by price and by practicality - to use the USB C mini adapter at the end of the chain to your phone. Since all the way to the car is still on the "original" USB form factor, this will be the only machine-specific part you'll need.

Here's an example at Amazon - without any referral crap attached to the link (if it does, I didn't put it there) https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Adapter-Co ... 01AHKYIRS/


Thanks for the info. I have several of these types of adapters and while they work well for charging, I do not believe they allow data transfer.

Have you found an adapter like this that allows data transfer?

Also, unless I use the original USB C cable for charging, I do not get the benefit of fast charging ... so that is another disadvantage of using these adapters.

devbolt
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:17 am
Location: Bay Area, California.

Re: More juice for charging phone while using Android Auto

Wed May 31, 2017 1:15 am

Tttait wrote:I discovered quickly that the 1 amp USB charging port in the Bolt wasn't cutting it, particularly while running Android Auto. The battery in my phone would still run down slowly. If I didn't want to use Android Auto I could use a 12v charger in the lighter plug that gives me 2 or 3 amps, but I'd lose the Android Auto capability if I plugged in there.

On a hunch I purchased one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047 ... UTF8&psc=1

or search amazon for StarTech 3-Feet USB Y Cable for External Hard Drive - Dual USB A to Micro B

How you use this in the end depends on how hungry your phone is. I believe that it is able to draw power from both of the male usb connectors. You should plug the black colored usb connector (Data + Power) into your port in the center console near the gear shift, and the small end into your phone. This is like any other usb cable and will allow android auto to work. The red connector (power only - no data) can be plugged into the second usb port in the center console and you will then have, I believe 2 amps of power available to charge the phone. if instead you used a usb extension cable and plug the red cable into a charger in your 12v port, you may have even more power available to the phone, depending on the amperage rating of that port.

If you do use both the ports in the center console and therefore don't have a port for your passenger in the front seat do remember that there may be a wireless charging port by the ebrake that they might be able to use, or plugs in the rear.

If you have the same problem with an Apple phone or ipad you may be able to find adaptors to make this cable plug into your device as well, but I live in the Android world and use standard usb connectors and don't have to worry about the various flavors of Apple cables.

By the way Chevrolet - 1 Amp charging ports - you gotta be kidding me...?

Tom


Change your cable. You have a crappy cable that isn't allowing all the power to get to the phone. The front ports appear to be rated at at least 1.5 amps according to my testing. I used a USB power meter, a known good cable that can deliver 2 amps, and an discharged iPad to test this. iPad pulled 1.4 to 1.5 amps every time. iPhone pulled the max of 1 amp. The rear USB ports, if you have them, are capable of 2 amps each.

Return to “Technical Discussions”