Range Issues?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhscbolt

I'm having significant range issues with my Bolt. I can only count on about 140 miles. I do most rural hwy driving 55-60mph 70-140 mile round trips. Anyone else experiencing this? Not getting too much help from Chevy.

Update: Thanks to all respondents. My range has improved significantly with warmer weather, now 200+. It doesn't really get that cold in the winter where I live, 30's night time and 40's day time average and my Bolt was kept in a heated garage. But the only thing that has changed is the temperature, so I'm fairly sure I can attribute my previous poor performance to the colder weather. I'd say the impact was quite severe. I wonder what happens when one lives where its below freezing all the time?

rhscbolt said:
I'm having significant range issues with my Bolt. I can only count on about 140 miles. I do most rural hwy driving 55-60mph 70-140 mile round trips. Anyone else experiencing this? Not getting too much help from Chevy.

You have the tools to diagnose the problem if you want.

How many mi/kWh do you get when you drive for ~10 miles at constant 60 mph (cruise control must be on) on fairly level terrain with little wind?

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

From my experience, these are factors (and in order of significance) that can reduce range:

1.) Temperatures below 50F
2.) Speeds above 55 MPH
3.) Using the heater and/or air conditioning
4.) Jack-Rabbit starts / hard braking
5.) Low Tire pressure
6.) Other - lights, radio, wipers, cigarette lighter powered accessories, etc.

As tgreene mentioned, your car is equipped with a miles per kWh display. With the Bolt's 60kWh battery, you're only getting about 2.33 miles/kWh (140 miles / 60kWh = 2.33mi/kWh). To achieve 200 miles, you're driving efficiency needs to be at least 3.33 mi/kWh. As you drive, you'll find ways at being more efficient at it. Good luck, and enjoy your Bolt!

rhscbolt said:
Where are you located? What is the outside temperature?

If you need heat, and your car has heated seats, using the heated seats is much more energy efficient than using the heater.

boltage said:
If you need heat, and your car has heated seats, using the heated seats is much more energy efficient than using the heater.

It's also not an either/or situation. Use the heated seats and wheel if you have them, and run the heater temp and blower speed as low as you can and still be comfortable. As a longtime Leaf driver I'm very familiar with that situation.

rhscbolt said:

Not I. I drive much faster, and count on at least 200 miles per charge. I'm in California. As others have suggested, cold weather can reduce range a lot.

tgreene said:
rhscbolt said:

You have the tools to diagnose the problem if you want.

How many mi/kWh do you get when you drive for ~10 miles at constant 60 mph (cruise control must be on) on fairly level terrain with little wind?

Thanks for the reply, I'm well aware of the tools. And The area I live in is hilly, don't really have an area to do you test. The problem is that GM doesn't mention that the performance penalties are so severe for not perfect conditions.

oilerlord said:
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

From my experience, these are factors (and in order of significance) that can reduce range:

1.) Temperatures below 50F
2.) Speeds above 55 MPH
3.) Using the heater and/or air conditioning
4.) Jack-Rabbit starts / hard braking
5.) Low Tire pressure
6.) Other - lights, radio, wipers, cigarette lighter powered accessories, etc.

As tgreene mentioned, your car is equipped with a miles per kWh display. With the Bolt's 60kWh battery, you're only getting about 2.33 miles/kWh (140 miles / 60kWh = 2.33mi/kWh). To achieve 200 miles, you're driving efficiency needs to be at least 3.33 mi/kWh. As you drive, you'll find ways at being more efficient at it. Good luck, and enjoy your Bolt!

I understand and expect to pay a performance penalty. The only one I've really have is temps have been 40-50 so far, but the car is kept in a heated garage. My main issue is that the advertised range is 238, I was never told the performance penalties for any of the above would be so severe.

LeftieBiker said:
boltage said:

It's also not an either/or situation. Use the heated seats and wheel if you have them, and run the heater temp and blower speed as low as you can and still be comfortable. As a longtime Leaf driver I'm very familiar with that situation.

Don't have heated seats and wasn't expecting a 10% range hit plus for staying minimally warm and keeping the windows from fogging up. GM didn't mention how severe some of these things would be when I bought the car.

rhscbolt said:
LeftieBiker said:
boltage said:

Don't have heated seats and wasn't expecting a 10% range hit plus for staying minimally warm and keeping the windows from fogging up. GM didn't mention how severe some of these things would be when I bought the car.
You can buy aftermarket electric heated seat cushions for use during the winter at auto parts stores or on Amazon for $20 that plug into the 12V "cigarette lighter" socket.

I've always believed the use of a resistive heater was a big cheapening of the car. If Nissan, BMW, and KIA could put in a heat pump, why didn't Chevy at least offer it as an extra cost option?

150 miles at the speeds you're describing are about three hours. If the heater is working hard (some people here have suggested it's as high as 9 kW) that alone would eat up half your battery capacity. Even if the heater draws no more than the 6 kW my Focus did, it's still nearly a third of your battery capacity wasted.

It's ridiculous for people in a $40K car to need to buy $30 electric blankets from Amazon to keep warm.

BTW... this one is pretty good....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DYVN9/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

michael said:
I've always believed the use of a resistive heater was a big cheapening of the car. If Nissan, BMW, and KIA could put in a heat pump, why didn't Chevy at least offer it as an extra cost option?

Absolutely agree, though the problem is bigger than that. You and I took a lot of flak when we questioned the value in the EPA 238 mile claim, but here we are. GM is all too happy to paste that "game changing" number all over their marketing while essentially ignoring a guy who's getting 140 miles. No doubt his stupid salesperson told him to expect 238 miles.

This is only the beginning. Until the EPA updates it's testing cycles to reflect real-world* driving, dozens more posts like these will come. The car hasn't even started selling in areas that experience cold temperatures.

*real-world driving includes but is not limited to: Using the heater / air conditioning / and speeds above 65 MPH.

oilerlord said:
michael said:

Absolutely agree, though the problem is bigger than that. You and I took a lot of flak when we questioned the value in the EPA 238 mile claim, but here we are. GM is all too happy to paste that "game changing" number all over their marketing while essentially ignoring a guy who's getting 140 miles. No doubt his stupid salesperson told him to expect 238 miles.

This is only the beginning. Until the EPA updates it's testing cycles to reflect real-world* driving, dozens more posts like these will come. The car hasn't even started selling in areas that experience cold temperatures.

*real-world driving includes but is not limited to: Using the heater / air conditioning / and speeds above 65 MPH.

Well, like the EV guru here at my office said, it's easy enough...take the EPA mileage and cut it in half. That's your "don't worry, I can make it for sure" range, allowing for speed, weather, and battery fade.

Did I miss where you replied your outside temps and how you are dealing with it?

There are Bolt EV models WITHOUT seat heaters??? :roll:

Are you all saying that air conditioning will cause the same performance loss as cabin heating?

rhscbolt said:

rhscbolt:

Can you provide more specifics about about the conditions: outside temp, preheating used, inside temp, garaged overnight, total elevation climbed?
Did you discuss range variation with dealer before you bought?
Did you do any reading about the issue here or elsewhere?
Did you order the car or buy from stock? Where is your location? They shouldn't be stocking cars without heated seats in cold climates.

For my LEAF, when new, that kind of percentage range loss was only with worst case conditions of about 0 F outside.

MichaelLAX said:
Did I miss where you replied your outside temps and how you are dealing with it?

Are you all saying that air conditioning will cause the same performance loss as cabin heating?

He said 40-50 OAT, Pretty much what you and I see occasionally in the winter.

In general air conditioning uses much less power than resistive heating. Air conditioning is a heat pump that moves heat from the interior to the exterior. Heat pump heating moves heat from the exterior to the interior. Resistive heating uses battery energy to heat the interior.

Unless it's very cold outside moving the heat is more efficient.

When it is so cold that heat pumps are inefficient the typical practice is to use resistance to pre heat the air and use a heat pump as a second stage

The cold weather problem is frequently made worse by the fact that the heater gets used when the battery is cold and can deliver less energy

Like I said, omission of a heat pump is a cheapening of the car. If Chevy had offered it for say $750 as an option it would have added $10 per month to the lease. I'd have gotten it for sure

michael said:
MichaelLAX said:

He said 40-50 OAT

I was driving quite a bit here in Southern California during our rainy season with outside air temps of 40-50 and suffering no such loss of performance!

That being said, I did use my seat warmers when it was chilly, the steering wheel warmer too at times and a shot of cabin heat if necessary and then turned it off.

I did a lot of experimental driving up and over the Grapevine in January/February so temps were down in those days including some snow along the highway. Return trips were during the nighttime and colder with stops at the DC Fast Charger at the Newhall Ranch Marketplace.

I made it from Paso Robles to Newhall with 30 miles on the gauge after a not full recharge on their DC Fast Charger at The Granary Building, due to a technical mishap up in Paso Robles.

Something is afoul with his Bolt EV! He needs to hammer away at his dealer about diagnostics...

Is this ACTUAL 140 miles of driving capacity, or the Mileage Gauge says only 140?

I did have a problem like that once (185 on the gauge). My actual driving capacity was much higher.

The dealer told me to drive it down to 20 miles left and then did a 80% Fast Recharge at the dealer and then up to 100% at home and it corrected the problem.

Back