Allelectric

Re: Howto: Adding more padding to front seats

Sun May 14, 2017 6:06 am

As per Flamaest.
I have purchased a seat base cushion/cover and that has partially solved the pain/problem from that part of the seat for now pending doing the foam insert. The problem now is that I sit higher in the seat and the widest part of my rib cage on the right is now literally resting on the unpadded part of the seat back edge. I hadn't noticed this as much until I put the seat cushion on. I have just done 220 km in the car today and my right rib cage to the back, half way up my back, feels bruised.
Has anyone got an idea how to safely get the seat back cover off and back on again. I am going to have to do it as well now.

flamaest

Sun May 14, 2017 11:40 pm

Hello everybody,

I was able to install some high density foam in the form of two different sheets, side by side, using the video provided by the user who started this thread.

I have only done the driver's side seat but will be moving to the passenger side soon.

Getting the four clips off was a bit difficult since I wasn't sure what I was doing exactly, but now that I know how they come off it is a lot easier to re-do. I think the side clips might come off easier if someone is sitting in the seat. The longer pair of clips come off easier if somebody is pushing on the back bottom material to provide some slack.

Please see the image showing the material that I inserted. This is very high density foam, I believe it is 35lb in weight, about 1/2 inch thick. In comparison, it is very similar to the purple foam, also in the image, which is a knee-pad used for gardening.

The seat bottom is much more comfortable now. I do not have to use a bottom pad anymore. Perhaps others may require more padding, but this is all I needed to resolve the issue. My next step will be to learn how to get into the seat back without damaging anything. GM could have spared us all of this nonsense by simply adding five bucks worth of foam to each seat from the factory. I am sure they have already started making adjustments.

20170514_161340bb.jpg
20170514_161340bb.jpg (137.11 KiB) Viewed 8893 times

gbobman

Mon May 15, 2017 7:19 pm

Oh thanks for the idea, flamaest. A yoga mat! I think I'll try that.

I haven't been able to locate a foam provider in the very little I've been looking. I can buy one and try it out before disassembling my seat. :D
2017 Chevy Bolt LT (1st EV!)
2004 Chevy Monte Carlo SS
(found a new home :cry: )

boltage

Mon May 15, 2017 8:37 pm

gbobman wrote:Oh thanks for the idea, flamaest. A yoga mat! I think I'll try that.

I haven't been able to locate a foam provider in the very little I've been looking. I can buy one and try it out before disassembling my seat. :D

If you web search "closed cell foam", you should get several web/mail order foam vendors in your search results.

gbobman

Mon May 15, 2017 8:46 pm

boltage wrote:If you web search "closed cell foam", you should get several web/mail order foam vendors in your search results.

I usually do but this is one of those times I didn't want to do a site-unseen purchase. This way I can go look at a few retailers and get an actual feel for what I am aiming at. Yay.

flamaest

Mon May 15, 2017 9:21 pm

The irony to all this 'foam searching' is that I have seen dozens of new yoga mats at a goodwill next to a pizza place in town for 5 bucks. For the one's I saw, it's the same freaking foam, even the same fire retardant rating, as the super expensive stuff I bought and installed.

If anyone get's their seats fixed professionally, could they PLEASE be sure to ask how they open the seat backs? I see two screws on the bottom back corners of the front seats, so perhaps this is the starting point to which the seat back comes apart.
Last edited by flamaest on Mon May 15, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gbobman

Mon May 15, 2017 9:27 pm

flamaest wrote:The irony to all this 'foam searching' is that I have seen dozens of new yoga mats at a goodwill next to a pizza place in town for 5 bucks. For the one's I saw, it's the same freaking foam, even the same fire retardant rating, as the super expensive stuff I bought and installed.

OK now that's another location I will have to search :D

MikeEVinNY

Tue May 23, 2017 6:25 pm

Worked for me! I used 2 layers 12x14 of heavy duty carpet padding with additional layer in the back half.

Don't know why someone charged 800 to fix them as noted in other topic. Only took 15 minutes.

Thanks a lot!

flamaest

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:05 am

Here is a super easy way to remove the large clips from under the front seats to get into the foam layers.

See image where I got some tough wire and made it into a triangle.

All you need to do is loop the wire into the clip and PULL towards the front. This will force the clip to unseat itself. I unclipped my passenger seat in less than a minute using this technique.

20170630_185706.jpg
20170630_185706.jpg (50.53 KiB) Viewed 8565 times

Cheers!

globecanvas

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:55 pm

flamaest wrote:Hello everybody,

I was able to install some high density foam in the form of two different sheets, side by side, using the video provided by the user who started this thread.

I picked up two of what appears to be the same gardening knee pad that you show in your photo for comparison purposes, at the local Rite Aid, for $2 each. The brand is Bloom and the size is about 7-1/4" by 14". They are exactly the right size to slip under the seat cushion, one on either side of the seat heating wire, with no cutting required.

I did this modification today. It cost $4, took about 10 minutes, required no tools, and is completely reversible, It completely fixes the uncomfortable seat problem.

Return to “Technical Discussions”