jostafew

Re: Is HVAC burning you up too? Chevy says "nothing wrong"

Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:09 am

rybolt, nice work in logging the temperature rise and fall over time, that's some pretty solid data there. You've inspired me to get a little more serious with my observations.

I think that in a case of something subjective like "my heater makes me too hot or too cold" we're going to have to present some actual hard test results that can be replicated if we want a serious response from the service dept. I'd just always assumed that my HVAC temp control was lazy and didn't want to heat unless it really had to, I never let it run away heating long enough like you did to see just how high it would go. After seeing your test results I believe my car would do the same given the chance, and I intend to do just that only it'll be sitting in my driveway with me looking in at the thermomemter through the window hahahah

devbolt

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:19 am

This is a dumb question, but does this heating behavior occur at a lower set point like 72 or 70? I see that it occurred with higher temps. Perhaps there is something significant about setting a temp above 73 that triggers the problem?

I tend to put my Bolt's HVAC system in auto mode and select a temperature that gets me some air flow on my face at a comfortable temp. This may mean setting it to 70 if the outside temp is 72 or 73, or it might mean 78 if the outside temp is 80 or more. I raise or lower the temp as necessary to keep the fan at a low-ish speed unless I'm trying to rapidly cool down the cabin. I have had the temperature set to 74, but don't recall any heating issues like you have described.

When you took the car into have it looked at, it sounds like the tech followed a set procedure to make sure that the system is working properly. That usually means setting the system temp to certain values, running the system for a set amount of time, and verifying that the system is putting out the correct air temp from the vents for those temperature set points. It's possible that the particular temperature you are using falls outside of the testing procedure's parameters and they can't adequately test for the error you are having. You may have to take it back and show the service writer the exact sequence of events that produces the problem, which means pointing out that this problem only occurs when the system is set to Auto mode, temperature set point is 74, and the outside air temp is above a certain level.

I can easily see the system trying to resort to heating if the the outside air temp is a couple of degrees or more below the temperature setpoint. Every car that I've owned with an Auto mode has had behviour like that. However, the outside temp is in the 80's, and the set point is 74, then cooling should be the mode, and if it isn't doing that, then something is definitely wrong...

michael

Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:31 pm

I don't get it. The thermostat function is obviously not working as it should. The results you are showing are simply not as they should be.

If it's a design issue, everyone should be noticing the same thing and complaining as much as you are justifiably complaining. Look at the furor the seats have caused.

I don't hear a lot of thermostat complaints so yours has got to be malfunctioning. Chevy should fix it. If your dealer can't figure it out, surely another one, with smarter techs, can do so.

Ask the service manager to sit in your car for 10 minutes. If there's a problem of this magnitude it should be obvious to everyone right away.
2013 Ford Focus Electric 51000 miles in 34 months, returned
2014 Volt, returned
2014 Volt, returned,

2017 Volt
2017 Volt
1967 Corvette 427
1962 Corvette 327

phil0909

Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:26 pm

I did a ~35-minute test this morning, and got the same kind of results rybolt graphed. I set the Bolt's thermostat to 74, fan on Auto. Temp in the front seats rose to 86 degrees. I would not be surprised if the car got to 89 degrees as rybolt's did, if I were to continue running the climate control at 74 for a full hour, as he did. Twelve degrees and climbing is already a big enough malfunction to make the Bolt's auto temperature control worthless.

I've seen a handful of comments from various owners regarding this issue. Not enough data to say for sure, but sounds like this could be a problem for

a) all Bolts,
b) a significant number of Bolts, or perhaps
c) most or all Bolts built before a certain date (mine was December).

So, here's my question: Is there anyone who can leave their Bolt set to 74 degrees for a half hour and remain comfortable? :?:

drdiesel1

Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:43 pm

TSB released on Feb 21st. Your dealer is an idiot!

#17-NA-049: No Heat and/or Cooling, Temperature Control Setting Does Not Match What is Selected on Heater and Air Conditioning
Remote Control - (Feb 21, 2017)

michael

Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:49 pm

drdiesel1 wrote:TSB released on Feb 21st. Your dealer is an idiot!

#17-NA-049: No Heat and/or Cooling, Temperature Control Setting Does Not Match What is Selected on Heater and Air Conditioning

Yep, that was my guess
2013 Ford Focus Electric 51000 miles in 34 months, returned
2014 Volt, returned
2014 Volt, returned,

2017 Volt
2017 Volt
1967 Corvette 427
1962 Corvette 327

gbobman

Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:52 pm

Do you have a link to that somewhere perhaps? Google only shoots me to two sites, both subscription.
2017 Chevy Bolt LT (1st EV!)
2004 Chevy Monte Carlo SS
(found a new home :cry: )

drdiesel1

Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:06 pm

gbobman wrote:

Do you have a link to that somewhere perhaps? Google only shoots me to two sites, both subscription.

Nothing free. That's from GM :mrgreen:

oftheseven

Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:45 pm

Just to chime in with my experience. We took delivery of our Bolt LT on April 14th.
Been using the HVAC with outside temperature between 77-85 degrees F.
Set to Auto @ 72 and it cooled properly. Actually, found 73 or 74 setting to be most comfortable and keeps the fan speed lower.

When outside temperature drops below 72, I usually turn off the A/C, set the temperature to Lo and fan speed at 1 to get the cool SoCal air.

Glad to see there's a TSB based on your experience.

Pigwich

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:13 pm

Does anybody know if there's a way to check our firmware and to see if it's updated?

OR is there any chance that said firmware would come with the radio update?

I took delivery at the end of December, and while I DO notice that the Auto setting isn't quite as awesome as it was on the Spark EV, it does seem to work acceptably (not like the graphs)

Thoughts?
(´・(oo)・`)

Return to “Technical Discussions”