Close Charging Door Alert Stays ON

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anitadiva

Has anyone had this issue? The charging door is closed completely, but when I get in the car and start it, immediately an alert appears on the dashboard stating the Charging Door is open and needs to be closed. The alert stays on the screen the whole time the car is running and never goes out.

Any ideas what's causing this?

It's almost certainly an issue in the switch that detects when the charging door is closed. There's either an electrical problem in the switch or it's wiring or, more likely IMHO, a dimensional problem of some sort wherein the switch doesn't get fully depressed when the door is closed.

I had exactly the same issue, but only once. It cleared itself after I turned the car off for a few minutes.

EldRick said:
I had exactly the same issue, but only once. It cleared itself after I turned the car off for a few minutes.

Wow. No such luck on my end. It's been on constantly about 2 weeks. Hopefully they'll be able to fix it quickly at the dealership.

If you can't hear the initial "click" before the main latch clicks in (so, there would be two clicks heard), then it is mechanical. If you hear both clicks, it may be electrical.

Either one would be for your dealer to fix though. That's what you paid for.

gbobman said:
If you can't hear the initial "click" before the main latch clicks in (so, there would be two clicks heard), then it is mechanical. If you hear both clicks, it may be electrical.

Either one would be for your dealer to fix though. That's what you paid for.

Thanks for the heads up. I took it to the dealership and they checked the main latch, the door itself, and the electrical system. Apparently they've seen this happen with the Volt often, but not the Bolt.

Turned out in this case it was electrical, so we're waiting for the part to arrive and it should be an easy fix from there.

:)

Had this issue today. I can tell it clicks, and I can even push the rod in manually and feel it lock in the depressed position.

And it gives the message even while it's charging which is very odd, since the door should be open while charging.

Back