Engine replacement

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanZ

I got a check engine light in stop and go traffic about two weeks ago. Onstar said the code was P1AEC. I would normally confirm with my ODB2 scanner, but it just locks up when it tries to connect. My guess is it's looking for values that don't exist.

Anyway, I made an appointment with the dealer to drop it off for service. The check engine light went back out on the way there. They've had it since the 9th. GM has had the dealer repeatedly drive the car, let it cool down, and then send them diagnostic data. I asked what kind of data they were pulling and what these tests was supposed to show but they don't know. GM doesn't seem to be communicating with the repair tech's at all.

Today I finally got a call with more info and they said GM is having them replace the entire drive unit :shock: . The car only has 474 miles on it, although it's up to 571 now from all the test drives. I didn't really notice any issues with engine performance but since it runs though such a large reduction if it was jittering I may not have been able to notice. I did see a reduction in regenerative braking power.

I'll update the thread with more info when I get it.

That's a pretty big deal, and a bummer since the car is new.

But these things happen and it's great they are replacing the motor. It's not nearly the major job as replacing an ICE engine, so the installation shouldn't take that long.

At the very least, I'd expect an loaner car, if they haven't given you one in the meantime.

I suspect they don't know themselves yet either and would rather replace the entire unit so they can get the car functional again and then take the unit back to figure out what went wrong. Kudos to GM for doing the right thing and replacing the unit.

I think the terms are fairly interchangeable at this point, regardless of the official dictionary definition.

In any case, the replacement motor and gear assembly has arrived today and the dealer is saying they should be done at the latest by Monday.

Picked up the car today and everything seems pretty normal. I'll be driving it more over the weekend so we'll see if any new issues pop up. :)

The dealer was nice enough to give it a complete charge and wash before I picked it up.

Back