Chirping when electricity stops

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willeert

The Chevy Bolt design has the vehicle chirp repeatedly if the power should go away (power failure) before the car is fully charged. This gives me problems as I live off grid and usually cannot charge the car in one day. Also my control will stop the charge if there is not enough power or there is a big draw on the system elsewhere (stove). For me the power might go away 1 - 20 times a day. This chirping endlessly is not good. It will stop if I unplug the car and then plug it in again but that is not the idea of automatic charging.

Can this chirp be silenced by a setting? I don't see one but maybe it exists.

If not maybe I can clip the wires to the chirping device or put in a switch to defeat the chirp mechanism. I don't know if the chirper is used for anything else by the car or only for driving me crazy when charging stops before the battery is full.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any replies

Will

Interesting -- have you tried a software-controllable EVSE like OpenEVSE or JuiceBox? With those you can turn off charging via software.

Otherwise if you want to play I bet if you modified the proximity detection pin in the J1772 cord to open when power is lost it probably will solve the problem also (S3 in the diagram):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772#/media/File:J1772_signaling_circuit.gif

The down-side is that the vehicle will not prevent you from driving away with the cord plugged in.

I have ordered an OpenEVSE charger. I am hoping that when I turn it off (sleep) that the Bolt will not chirp. I am an Arduinoist so the Opensource charger will work well for me.

I do not understand why one would build an EV that if the utility turns off charging with OnStar it does nothing but if the power fails it chirps endlessly. Either way the charge is halted by lack of utility power. I do enjoy the Bolt however.

I guess maybe just clipping the wires on the chirper is a bit simplistic.......

Will

willeert said:
I have ordered an OpenEVSE charger. I am hoping that when I turn it off (sleep) that the Bolt will not chirp. I am an Arduinoist so the Opensource charger will work well for me.

I do not understand why one would build an EV that if the utility turns off charging with OnStar it does nothing but if the power fails it chirps endlessly. Either way the charge is halted by lack of utility power. I do enjoy the Bolt however.

I guess maybe just clipping the wires on the chirper is a bit simplistic.......

Will
Don't clip the wires. See page 132 of the manual. In "Energy Settings" you can turn off Charge Status Feedback horn chirps. However, this will also disable all other horn chips related to charging, like charge cord theft, if delayed or immediate charging is in effect. Visual cues should still be enabled.

Hi devbolt,

Thank You. Horn chirps turned off. Now able to turn off / unplug car in mid charge without a horus of chirps erupting.

Yay!!!!!

Will

Back