Driver seat making my Right leg numb ??

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

I am NOT talking about the cushiness of the seat.......Yes I read that whole thread and may adjust that later. I don't find the seat THAT uncomfortable really.

Now I have sciatica that comes and goes on occasion but this is not really it. Same spot where normal pain would be. On the outer side of the thigh, from top (and a little in toward the Butt) to about 1/2 way down.
But INSTEAD of pain I get a numb feeling.
It is really irritating.
And yes, when I sit down I take up the whole width of the seat, not over but almost to the edges. I am not large by any means, 5'6" and 148#

I took a thin blanket and folded it so that it would 'bump' at the side of the seat right before the 'rise' . Did that make sense?
This was to more or less smooth the seat flat across. I was hoping that it would stop what ever 'spot' was pushing on the nerve.

It kinda worked as it was not near as bad after being in the car for an hour.

Does anyone have Sciatica and get this ? Did the seat Mod help ?

I have had the car 2 full days now.

It is apparently pretty easy to stuff a 1/2" sheet of foam (obtainable from a local upholstery supplier) into the front seat beneath the heating element to reduce the intrusion of the side bolsters. There's a good write-up and video of the process in this thread.

Hi Sean, yes I read that and that is why I wrote that I did. I don't want to screw with the seat till I know for sure that it is the side that is doing it. It could be on the back of the seat.
I just wanted to know if someone else got this Numb feeling.

You see the problem is I don't know WHERE it is hitting the nerve to cause this.
Sciatica starts in the lumber spine and that is where the 'pinch' is that causes the pain.
But the pain doesn't start at the pinch point. Sometimes it doesn't start to hurt till mid-rear thigh.

I’ll bet you a nickel you keep your wallet in your right rear pocket? If so, try moving that to your front pocket first. I frequently see what we sometimes refer to as a “wallet palsy” where men get pain or numbness in their sciatic nerve from sitting on their wallet. The Bolt seats will exacerbate this because the narrow side bolsters push on your wallet, which then pushes on your sciatic nerve. It could be side bolsters alone, but my guess is the wallet. Princess and the Pea!

Well (female here but I don't' carry a purse) I keep 4 CC type cards in my back pocket. Lic, AAA card, CC and Chargepoint card that is 1/2 the size.
I did think of that and moved them over to the other side but nope.
That is a Very good thought though !
I worked in an ER for years, that is one thing we pin point out first with back pain/sciatica.
I even thought it may be just the jeans I was wearing.

Try raising/lowering the seat, to change the distribution of pressure on your thighs.

Ok, so in case anyone else is wondering .

Seat height doesn't make any difference.
What is did was take a very thick kitchen chair cushion ( https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Faux-Suede-Chair-Pad-Gray/157503750 )
seems to work good.
When the weather gets a bit better I will try to put it under the seat.

BUT I think it works while on top of the seat because it makes the raised sides disappear. Therefor it is not pushing on something that is setting off a nerve issue.

Back