Remote start not working

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokingRubber

The remote start on the key fob does not work. I've tried it several times. I hear a click and the lights come on, but the AC doesn't come on. Using the remote start through the My Chevy app DOES work. Why doesn't the key fob work?

Also, what's up with Navigation? Is it inside the Onstar menu? That's the only button I haven't tried yet. I can get Navi through android auto, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. A different Bolt LT I test drove had a NAVIGATION icon on the screen. It didn't do anything, but my Bolt Premier doesn't even have the icon. I was able to get turn-by-turn directions after I asked Onstar to help me find a Wendy's one night (through the roof button). Why can't I get the turn-by-turn on my own while I'm driving?

SmokingRubber said:
The remote start on the key fob does not work. I've tried it several times. I hear a click and the lights come on, but the AC doesn't come on. Using the remote start through the My Chevy app DOES work. Why doesn't the key fob work?

From page 8 of the Owner's Manual:
BfqoapN.png

Are you sure you locked the car prior to hitting the remote start button?

SmokingRubber said:
Also, what's up with Navigation? Is it inside the Onstar menu? That's the only button I haven't tried yet. I can get Navi through android auto, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. A different Bolt LT I test drove had a NAVIGATION icon on the screen. It didn't do anything, but my Bolt Premier doesn't even have the icon. I was able to get turn-by-turn directions after I asked Onstar to help me find a Wendy's one night (through the roof button). Why can't I get the turn-by-turn on my own while I'm driving?

AndroidAuto or CarPlay is the only way to get Navigation on the center screen. The Bolt lacks a built-in Navigation unit. You also have to have the phone plugged in via USB. No wireless AndroidAuto or CarPlay.

devbolt said:
SmokingRubber said:

AndroidAuto or CarPlay is the only way to get Navigation on the center screen. The Bolt lacks a built-in Navigation unit. You also have to have the phone plugged in via USB. No wireless AndroidAuto or CarPlay.

This sucks. I can get by with android auto for nav but then my music doesn't play through bluetooth. It's got turn-by turn through Onstar even if my phone isn't plugged in so the Navigation system IS already built-in, I just can't see a map. It seems like they tried to improve the system but really screwed it up instead.

SmokingRubber said:
devbolt said:
SmokingRubber said:

This sucks. I can get by with android auto for nav but then my music doesn't play through bluetooth. It's got turn-by turn through Onstar even if my phone isn't plugged in so the Navigation system IS already built-in, I just can't see a map. It seems like they tried to improve the system but really screwed it up instead.

They didn't try to improve anything, nor was anything screwed up. The navigation system, such that it is, is documented on the Chevy website, Bolt manual and various other sources, including asking the dealer before you buy. The only integrated navigation system for the Bolt is via turn-by-turn via OnStar, and this is not a free service.

It's a trend that will continue. Integrated nav systems with maps are very expensive and can only be kept up to date via expensive updates. Many of these nav systems are obtuse and confusing to use. Much better to have standardized, excellent nav/map systems like those from Apple and Google.

SmokingRubber said:
devbolt said:
SmokingRubber said:

You don’t need to play your music via Bluetooth if the phone is tethered to the car. Just use the USB interface instead. You still browse playlists, artists, etc.

While OnStar does offer turn by turn navigation, it doesn’t provide a display. And in all likelihood, it relies on OnStar’s servers to provide the necessary data. Probably the only “navigation” hardware that is in the car is the GPS chip that is incorporated into the cellular radio & modem. Car sends it’s GPS coordinates to OnStar’s servers and they respond back with the appropriate prompts.

Don't use Onstar, it's terrible. Just don't. Use CarPlay or Android Auto. It's still got kinks, but it's the only way to fly (aside from staring at your phone) and it's way faster to set up your destination. If your phone doesn't support it, I'd suggest updating as a matter of safety. But it sounds like it does. And Google Maps has the offline maps, which works on Android Auto (Carplay probably does too) so you can still see a map if you're out of cell range. Also... WAZE! And Google Play Music, Pandora, Plex, you name it. I actually think PLEX can play off the local SD card too. Now, if you're using or some uncommon app to play raw MP3 off the SD card, then you might not have much luck, but I DO think you can still Bluetooth in, it just might require some back and forth with the menus. Going back to the chevy home screen, selecting the source, and going back to projection/carplay/android auto

Use a good, short USB cable. The world is filled with cheap, bad cables. They will ruin the experience.

Pigwich said:
Don't use Onstar, it's terrible. Just don't. Use CarPlay or Android Auto. It's still got kinks, but it's the only way to fly (aside from staring at your phone) and it's way faster to set up your destination. If your phone doesn't support it, I'd suggest updating as a matter of safety. But it sounds like it does. And Google Maps has the offline maps, which works on Android Auto (Carplay probably does too) so you can still see a map if you're out of cell range. Also... WAZE! And Google Play Music, Pandora, Plex, you name it. I actually think PLEX can play off the local SD card too. Now, if you're using or some uncommon app to play raw MP3 off the SD card, then you might not have much luck, but I DO think you can still Bluetooth in, it just might require some back and forth with the menus. Going back to the chevy home screen, selecting the source, and going back to projection/carplay/android auto

Use a good, short USB cable. The world is filled with cheap, bad cables. They will ruin the experience.

I don't have a Bolt yet, but I gather from what you've said that I could also download directions at home, display the route through AndroidAuto on the car screen without wifi, and simultaneously play music from a USB? I'm asking because, while I could use a portable router to connect, I don't actually have a data plan on my phone.

WS7 said:
...I could also download directions at home, display the route through AndroidAuto on the car screen without wifi, and simultaneously play music from a USB? I'm asking because, while I could use a portable router to connect, I don't actually have a data plan on my phone.
Yes, you can do that - although you obviously won't get live traffic updates and I don't think the voice-activation feature of Android Auto would work.

Interesting, because voice-activation actually does work on my tablet with google directions without WiFi.

Back