Windshield not defogging properly

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I've noticed lately that the defogger on my Bolt is pretty horrible. On my other Honda's, when the windshield gets fogged up, I just turn on the Max Defog button and it blasts AC on MAX towards the windshield. It normally takes a few seconds and then the fog is gone.

On the Bolt, I press the Max Defog button and it seems like its blasting full blast, but maybe only the bottom inch or two gets defogged. I would then turn the temp to Lo and max out the fan speed and make sure the Heat + AC button is pressed. Still doesnt do much. I have to keep using the windshield wiper to at least clear the fog for a second or two.

Has anyone else experienced this? Its getting very annoying and borderline dangerous when I can see out the windshield!

mrleochan said:
Still doesnt do much. I have to keep using the windshield wiper to at least clear the fog for a second or two.
The defogger clears moisture from the inside of the window.

The windshield wiper clears moisture from the outside of the window.

The two are not interchangeable.

If the windshield wiper clears the obstruction, then you should be using the windshield wiper, not the defogger.

This has come up in other threads. Often, there is a considerable film layer inside the windshield that causes this. Try thoroughly cleaning it.

I found it helps if you park pointing into the sun. Then you can easily see how bad the film is.

+1 on keeping the inside of the windshield as clean as possible to help prevent fogging. I’ve had no issues with the front defogger, even on very cold and rainy days. It works well for me.

have you checked the recirculation button (inside and outside air). sometimes i have to change it to take in outside air or it just keeps fogging the windows up and i have to pull over. seem like it only happens when its frosty out and the temp is close to 32F.

Defrosting (outside) or defogging (inside) requires substantial heat to warm the glass, to melt/evaporate moisture any time soon.
It won't kill you to turn the heat on high for a few minutes - they put heaters in cars for a reason.

If Recirc is keeping the air in the car stagnant with no fresh air coming in, you will never be able to defrost the windows, because every time you exhale, you are putting even more moisture into the air.

From the manual, page 306: "Cleaning the windshield with water during the first three to six months of ownership will reduce tendency to fog."

I've no idea how this would help, but perhaps worth trying!

After battling the layer of chemical out gassing on the inside of my windshield, I found a product called Stoners "Invisible Glass" It's the only stuff that works for me.
I also get very little fogging upon cold days

Back