odd photo related to the phone charging pocket

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebolt

I noticed that occasionally a mysterious complex image would pop up on the center-screen dashboard, but then disappear within about a second, too quickly for me to make out what it showed. For a long time, I couldn't figure out how to trigger its appearance. Finally, I discovered that the image appears sometimes (but not always) when a metal object is placed into the phone charging pocket between the two front seats. By repeatedly placing a metal mint tin into the phone charging pocket, I was able to force the image to appear, and snap a photo of it:

IMG_4569.JPG

I'm still not totally sure what the image is meant to convey. The first section seems to indicate something about airflow, or maybe an information booklet? The second image seems to warn against placing loose objects into the pocket, perhaps because they could be difficult to retrieve? The third image seems to encourage placing a phone into the pocket, which is the whole point and seems obvious. Anyway, I'm posting this inscrutable graphic here on the bulletin board, in case it's been puzzling other people too.

The second icon does indeed warn against placing metal objects in the charging pocket, presumably to avoid shorting it out. The first one? Hmmm....

I'm guessing the first image means that something is very hot inside the pocket.

Remove all objects from the charging pocket before charging your mobile phone. Objects, such as coins, keys, rings, paper clips, or cards, between the mobile phone and the charger will become very hot. On the rare occasion that the charging system does not detect an object, and the object gets wedged between the mobile phone and the charger, remove the mobile phone and allow the object to cool before removing it from the charging pocket, to prevent burns

I think that it means something like that, but actually "Metal objects placed in this area will become very hot." Because of current flowing through them, not ambient heat from the charging pocket. Or because the pocket will become very hot, but only in the presence of metal objects.

I see this sometimes show up on the display too, and just once I got a full-screen version of it with the same graphic at the top but a bunch of text below it. It's essentially warning you that the charging pocket gets hot when in use and that you shouldn't put metal objects into it. It's intended only for charging the phone, not as a generic storage space.

Although I find it to be very handy for slipping things like parking receipts into, since I won't forget to retrieve them when I retrieve my phone.

Many phones, battery packs, or cell phone cases offer a feature of wireless charging. Your car has the ability to wireless charge these devices.

Part of the wireless charge initialization process detects a suitable receiver of the power. The detection process is very good but not perfect. If you should happen to put a metal object in the phone pocket it could try to "charge" the device. A key or metal mint tin would only dissipate the energy as heat. The graphic is trying to convey , no metal objects, only wireless charging receiver equipped devices should be placed in this slot.

the temperature graphic is trying to convey that wireless charging receivers may get very warm to the touch even under normal operation, take care when removing them. foreign metal objects could also get hot.

the temperature graphic is trying to convey that wireless charging receivers may get very warm to the touch even under normal operation, take care when removing them. foreign metal objects could also get hot.

So they will cook phone batteries, too? Great...

I actually saw this message just yesterday. My wife slipped her phone into the charge spot and the message came up. It was too fast to read so we masturbated the phone in and out of the hole a couple times to read the message. I still don't know what it means though... was it telling me it's charging or it detected crap in the hole? I couldn't tell if her phone was actively charging or not and we got the message both when we inserted the phone upside down and right-side up. Don't know if her phone got any juice.

SmokingRubber said:
I actually saw this message just yesterday. My wife slipped her phone into the charge spot and the message came up. It was too fast to read so we masturbated the phone in and out of the hole a couple times to read the message. I still don't know what it means though... was it telling me it's charging or it detected crap in the hole? I couldn't tell if her phone was actively charging or not and we got the message both when we inserted the phone upside down and right-side up. Don't know if her phone got any juice.
For something to happen, your phone needs to be capable of wireless charging. In the past there was a special case that you would buy. Now there are some phones (e.g. the new iPhone) that come with wireless charging capabilities, no phones before last year could do wireless charging without a sleeve.

It was too fast to read so we masturbated the phone in and out of the hole a couple times to read the message. I still don't know what it means though... was it telling me it's charging or it detected crap in the hole? I couldn't tell if her phone was actively charging or not and we got the message both when we inserted the phone upside down and right-side up. Don't know if her phone got any juice.

I can't be the only one who saw this...

LeftieBiker said:
It was too fast to read so we masturbated the phone in and out of the hole a couple times to read the message. I still don't know what it means though... was it telling me it's charging or it detected crap in the hole? I couldn't tell if her phone was actively charging or not and we got the message both when we inserted the phone upside down and right-side up. Don't know if her phone got any juice.

I can't be the only one who saw this...

Yeah, I saw that. I think "copulated" would've been a more appropriate word, lol.

BoltMaybe said:
SmokingRubber said:
For something to happen, your phone needs to be capable of wireless charging. In the past there was a special case that you would buy. Now there are some phones (e.g. the new iPhone) that come with wireless charging capabilities, no phones before last year could do wireless charging without a sleeve.

Yes, I figured that. Both, my wife and I have Samsung Galaxy S7 Edges ... which are wireless charging capable. The problem is, we both have otter box cases which make it difficult to fit in the hole. I have a metal plate in my case (for magnet mount in my FJ) which blocks wireless charging, so I don't use it. My wife charges wirelessly all the time so I know hers works. I just can't tell if it's working in the Bolt.

Too bad you can't turn off the wireless charger so that hole can be used for something else (like change). If I could use it to sync with Android Auto I'd pull the metal plate out of my case and use that hole all the time. But, since I have to connect the USB cable for Android Auto and that charges it as well, there's no need to use wireless charging.

SmokingRubber said:
Too bad you can't turn off the wireless charger so that hole can be used for something else (like change). If I could use it to sync with Android Auto I'd pull the metal plate out of my case and use that hole all the time. But, since I have to connect the USB cable for Android Auto and that charges it as well, there's no need to use wireless charging.
Yes, they should sell a cover for those who don't have wireless charging capable phones so that one doesn't unconsciously put change or other paraphernalia in there.

Back