Traction battery disconnect?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdunmyer

Asking for a friend who is a volunteer fireman:

Is there a way to disconnect the HV traction battery in a crash/ rescue situation? I know the Leaf has a disconnect switch under the floor behind the front seats, but I see no mention of such a device in the Bolt. If I'm reading the manual correctly, it implies that there's an automatic disconnect in event of a crash. True?

He told me that the manufacturers don't have or pass along bulletins to VFDs, telling them of specific caveats unique to these vehicles. Of course, with the widespread usage of hybrids, there's MANY cars on the road these days with high-voltage batteries on board. Do the professional, full-time paid departments get better treatment?

He does know to stay away from the Orange HV cables.

Thanks for the info, I've passed it along to 3 local Volunteer Fire Departments.

Interestingly, the sheet from GM said only to "cut the 12 volt battery cable twice, then wait 10 minutes so the air bags won't deploy". The only mention of the high voltage system is to "stay away, don't cut the orange cables. The HV battery is isolated from the chassis and should present no danger".

Back