infotainment screen frozen

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdunmyer

Yesterday, the screen froze up, pressing anything did nothing. The "home" button next to the volume control also was inoperative. After shutting down the car, the screen remained lit up.

As I was home, and had other stuff to do, I figured I'd leave it sit, then disconnect the 12-volt battery so as to reboot the system. (dunno if it'd work, but it sounded good). After leaving it for just a few minutes, I returned to the car and found the screen dark. Pressed the 'Go' button and the car booted up normally; cycled it a couple of times and all was well. Went to supper later and it was still OK.

There WAS an unusual sequence when leaving the restaurant after lunch: the RR door was ajar, according to the screen. I stopped, put it in Park, the RR passenger opened and closed his door, and away we went. It was sometime after that that I noticed the frozen screen.

Anyone else ever have this happen? I was NOT looking forward to taking it to the dealer, he's 20 miles away and this is almost certainly the only Bolt he's sold.

You can force a reset by holding down the Home and Fast Forward buttons together until the infotainment resets.

If it's not the latest version (14.4.2), the infotaintainment update might help.

Rick,
Thanks for the info, I'll try to remember it for when/if there's a next time.

Rick said:

If it's not the latest version (14.4.2), the infotaintainment update might help.

How do you tell the version? Can they update over the air like Tesla, or do I have to take it in?

While you're here, is there any way of telling the charging rate? IE: if I plug into a "strange" EVSE or DCQC, can I ascertain how much juice is actually flowing into the car? Also, is that info about the reset in the manual?

Thanks again!! <<Jim Dunmyer, Temperance, MI>>

jdunmyer said:
Rick,
Thanks for the info, I'll try to remember it for when/if there's a next time.

Rick said:

How do you tell the version? Can they update over the air like Tesla, or do I have to take it in?

While you're here, is there any way of telling the charging rate? IE: if I plug into a "strange" EVSE or DCQC, can I ascertain how much juice is actually flowing into the car? Also, is that info about the reset in the manual?

Thanks again!! <<Jim Dunmyer, Temperance, MI>>

Jim,
Has happened to me 3 or 4 times in the 6 months I have owned the Bolt. I plan to get the software update first tire rotation which does list "screen freeze" as one of the items it resolves. GM has over the air update ability on the Bolt but has not started using it yet, rumored to begin the first quarter of 2018 so might be very soon.

When it is frozen If you just wait a bit the "watchdog timer" reboots the infotainment and resolves the issue on its own, Just as it did for you.

To see the charge rate sitting in the car the display that shows the power used or the regen power on the right of the display also displays the charging rate. So just like regen you can see the power flowing into the battery from the EVSE.

Thanks for the info!

Coming from 4 years of 2 different Leafs, I'm used to certain information being displayed in particular ways, the Bolt is quite different in some respects, and it's taking some getting used to. However, the information seems to be there and I'm finding it more natural to access and use.

Things like bypassing the charge timer: The Leaf has a hard button, the Bolt has you unplug/replug the charge connector. Resetting the departure time requires a sequence of pokes & prods of the infotainment screen, doing it a couple of times makes it much easier. (still not automatic for me) Bypassing the "hilltop mode" isn't as easy as I'd like, it'd be nice to have a simple button push (screen poke) to do this on a one-time basis.

Still haven't figured out how to make & receive phone calls using the cars's interface. Tried it once, it didn't work, read the manual, but haven't tried it again. My 2014 VW Passat worked great, voice recognition was near 100%. I replaced that with a Nissan Muranno that's much like the Leaf: kinda hit & miss.

Anyway, other than the seats, I'm becoming more and more enamored of the Bolt every day. Best part is the range; on its worst day so far (cold, cold Winter), it's better than the best day for my 2016 Leaf. That means many more trips driving the Bolt instead of the Murrano; it has sat in the garage for over 3 weeks now!

jdunmyer said:
Still haven't figured out how to make & receive phone calls using the cars's interface. Tried it once, it didn't work, read the manual, but haven't tried it again.

Assuming you have a bluetooth phone paired to the vehicle, push and HOLD the microphone button (profile of persons head with sound waves coming from mouth) on the steering wheel. The main display will bring up a big picture of a microphone with the caption "voice recognition” and it will respond to commands like "call Jim on cell"

At least that is the way it works with an Android connected phone, Apple might be slightly different

To receive an incomming call on a paired phone just touch the microphone button (profile of persons head with sound waves coming from mouth)

My info screen has frozen several times. I push various buttons and it stays frozen. I leave the car to do my business and return and all is well. I took my Bolt to the dealer in January (I had the car for a year) and was told there were no updates. The service person showed me the computer screen showing no updates. I am puzzled? Does GM update the Bolt via satellite as does Tesla? I will try rebooting via home and fast forward next time. Also, last week, the controls on my steering wheel wouldn’t work: the steering wheel heating; the lane change warning; the radio controls, the controls on the right side for trip mileage, tire pressure, etc. I left the car alone for about 10 minutes and then all was working. Anyone have this problem?

Fulmine said:
My info screen has frozen several times. I push various buttons and it stays frozen.

As others have reported above, Hold down the Home and FFwd Button until the screen goes dark and the logo appears, this will reboot the system. You can do this at anytime (parked or with the car rolling).

The GM system doesn't apparently work how'd we think when we need an update. Check the version of software you are running. if it's not 14.4.2 then follow the instructions on this site to update yourself. Works great.

The screen freezes frequently on my 2018 Chevy Bolt. It takes up to 3 minutes (occasionally more time) to turn on.

Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet could not diagnose the problem. They said to return with video. We have several video clips now.

Several people in this thread said they had to reset their system. Don't you lose all your presets when you reset the system?

The current software version is 34.7.1

Is this only a glitch if you ARE NOT subscribed to Chevy's WiFi data provider?

Or are people who subscribe to their Chevy WIFI provider experiencing this too?

Back