LED Bulbs

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilBlanchard

I am curious to know if we can replace the light bulbs in the rear bumper with LED's, and the front turn signals without the turn signals flashing quickly? It would be good if the backup lights were brighter.

Does the Bolt EV have a relay doing the flashing, and if LED's flash too quickly, can the relay be replaced with a solid state flasher that works "normally" with LED's?

Why don’t you just try it and report back? You may be the first.

I’ve had hit or miss luck when converting my ICE cars to LED. Sometimes they are just fine. Sometimes they flashed fast.

I know the primary headlight is HID, but I thought all the rest of the exterior lights were LED. According to the Chevy Bolt promo page, the Bolt has LED daytime running lights and "LED Stop and Tail Lamps". So only the turn signal bulbs are incandescent? Seems unlikely.

NeilBlanchard said:
I will try when I can. I am wondering too, if the Bolt has a relay that can be replaced, or if it needs a resistor in series with the LED bulb?
You'll need load resistors (or bulbs that incorporate them).
No energy savings, probably a slight increase (very minimal as these bulbs aren't on enough to make much of an impact either way).

And you get the added bonus of the reduced performance typical when an LED is put in a housing designed for a filament bulb.

Aftermarket LED's will often appear brighter within a narrow viewing angle, but overall performance is almost always compromised.

Right, I like the attention-grabbing flashing of LED's, and their longevity. If the Bolt EV had a flasher relay that could be replaced with a solid state unit that works with LED's, then there would be a itty bitty teeny weeny tiny bit of power saved - that would be meaningless. Adding resistors, means the savings would even smaller, to nonexistent.

I changed one of my ICE cars to LED 12 years ago.

Have never changed a bulb in 12 years, 200,000 miles!

Saves replacement costs plus time saved!

Back