Adjusting Driver Seat Angle

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Has anyone considered adjusting the driver seat angle by putting spacers under the seat rail attachment points? This is a fairly common thing to do in some vehicles, to put spacers in to raise a seat, or adjust the angle. There are kits out there for some Chevy vehicles, see Seat Lift Kits. For me, the driver seat is unbearable. I have done ALL of the seat mods and still can't get it to work for me in my 2017 LT. I test drove multiple 2018s and never thought that the seat would be different in a 17. Didn't realize the problem until the drive home.

I'm thinking about loosening the front two bolts, and removing the two rear ones and adding about a 1/2 inch spacer under the bolt. This would flatten out the seat a bit and change the angle of the year seat to be a bit more forward. The problem for me, even with added padding in the seat you still sit backward, and pushing the back rest forward only crunches you.

This seems fairly straight forward. I think what I need to do is to get a longer set of bolts for the rears (1/2 inch longer) of the same strength. Machine some spacers. But, my question is can I do this without disarming the air bags? I hate to have to unplug the 12v battery and lose all my settings in the infotainment.

Any advice is appreciated. I know I can add a seat wedge to sit on but Im trying to see if I can solve this problem permanently.

NorthwestBolt said:
Has anyone considered adjusting the driver seat angle by putting spacers under the seat rail attachment points? This is a fairly common thing to do in some vehicles, to put spacers in to raise a seat, or adjust the angle. There are kits out there for some Chevy vehicles, see Seat Lift Kits. For me, the driver seat is unbearable. I have done ALL of the seat mods and still can't get it to work for me in my 2017 LT. I test drove multiple 2018s and never thought that the seat would be different in a 17. Didn't realize the problem until the drive home.

I'm thinking about loosening the front two bolts, and removing the two rear ones and adding about a 1/2 inch spacer under the bolt. This would flatten out the seat a bit and change the angle of the year seat to be a bit more forward. The problem for me, even with added padding in the seat you still sit backward, and pushing the back rest forward only crunches you.

This seems fairly straight forward. I think what I need to do is to get a longer set of bolts for the rears (1/2 inch longer) of the same strength. Machine some spacers. But, my question is can I do this without disarming the air bags? I hate to have to unplug the 12v battery and lose all my settings in the infotainment.

Any advice is appreciated. I know I can add a seat wedge to sit on but Im trying to see if I can solve this problem permanently.

I don't see how you'd be in danger of discharging the airbags doing what you describe, If you're real nervous you could disconnect the power harness for the seat, that'd keep the airbags quiet.

Side note, I have a 2018 on order and test drove the 2017, now I don't have the same seat issues a lot of people seem to have as everyone is different but I'm not aware of any change to seats from 2017 to 2018?

Back