Tire Pressure, Miles per kWh & Range ..

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AyeJay

Hello,

After noticing that at the recommended 38 psi the standard tires on my Bolt EV were constantly losing air slowly.. :cry:
Kind of annoying having to top up the pressure every three weeks or so.

I decided to over inflate them slightly to 43 psi & see if this situation continued. ..

It stopped happening!

Then I noticed that my driving efficiency went from 4.4 - 4.5 Mi/kWh to 4.6 - 4.7 Mi/kWh. The range on my guess-o-meter also increased by around +20 miles .. :D

The ride is just a tad more firm and the car responds a little quicker to my input..

-- Seems like the so-called "low rolling resistance tires" on my Bolt EV perform much better generally at the higher psi.

Me Like! ..

I have run my tires on all my cars for years at the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall. That said, I believe mine are inflated to something like 51 psi. I get excellent range with my Bolt, most of the time it's just below to just above 5 miles per kWh.

Might want to check if your tires wear non-uniformly if you keep them inflated at higher than the recommended pressure.

Low forties generally works fine. These are heavy cars, and the recommended 38psi (36 for the Leaf!) is a bit too low. The tires were probably being deformed enough by bumps to let a little air get passed the sidewalls.

Remember, seasonal temperature changes can affect tire air pressure. Expect to have to top up the tire air more often in the autumn, but less often in the spring.

boltage said:
Remember, seasonal temperature changes can affect tire air pressure. Expect to have to top up the tire air more often in the autumn, but less often in the spring.
...and they affect range, too. I wouldn't be too quick to jump to the conclusion that the higher pressure increased efficiency that much if it happened around the same time that the temperature went up.

Anyone have any long-term data on keeping the tires in the low-40s? Premature tire-wear? Increased mileage/KWh?

Paul-

How much did you pay for 4 tires?

I paid $750 at time of lease for a "scratch, dent, and excessive wear waiver" which includes tires. I can return my 3/36,000 lease with bald tires and can go 1500 miles over 36,000.

Back