Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What module?

If it was a battery module, it could be that your car had an impending battery module failure that the new firmware detected earlier rather than just before forcing a shutdown with little or no warning that the old firmware did.

I had both the detect-battery-problem-earlier and radio recalls done (it did take the dealer quite a while before they were done). No obvious changes other than the radio now reports version 14.5.0 instead of 13.something.something that it had before. I had seen occasional bugs with the old radio firmware (e.g. camera stuck on even at high speed), so maybe these could go away?

Could be the update. Could be the module. Could be your dealership.
Whatever, it sucks that you can’t drive it.
They should have Bolt loaners.

I’ve had all three updates done. No issues.

Stefan1991 said:
I think it's a battery module that needs to be replaced.

Probably means that your car was about to have the weak cell failure, but the original firmware was giving no warning of that. Then the dealer put on the new firmware which detected the problem.

If that is the case, the new firmware merely found an impending problem that could have otherwise caused your car to shut down on the road with little or no warning. Although the wait is annoying, at least the car is already in the repair shop when the problem was found.

Stefan1991 said:
If it's the battery I'm also concerned about the experience of the dealer. The mechanic who worked on my car didn't even know how to put it in reverse. So I guess it will be the first battery replacement of a Bolt they have to do.
The good news is that the battery is actually quite simple to replace as long as the dealer has the required lifting equipment. It connects to the vehicle through two coolant hoses and a few electrical plugs, and it's attached with a couple of dozen bolts.

My Bolt was in the shop for 13 days.
12 days waiting for the battery.

Less than 1 day to install it.

Back