Battery Conditioning Summer

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pachanga10

Last ten days Houston 90-97 . Battery Conditioning states zero percentage still. For those days when have been driving car to work and leaving parked in shade unplugged My juice box app chart shows during evening when plugged in some spikes every 4 hours which I assume is conditioning. Today 95 high, car plugged in all day, in hot garage but juice box shows no conditioning on app. Does this seem normal? (Wondering if not conditioning today as battery rested, as car not driven today). Thnks.

I don’t have specifics but I know the battery tolerates (performs better) in hot conditions compared to cool/cold.

In fact, watch that driving “score” page.
In the 70’s and below I get a low score. In the 90’s I get a high (happy) score. One “help” screen says optimal temperature is 77’F. But still I get a higher “score” in the 90’s.

Pachanga10 said:
Last ten days Houston 90-97 . Battery Conditioning states zero percentage still. For those days when have been driving car to work and leaving parked in shade unplugged My juice box app chart shows during evening when plugged in some spikes every 4 hours which I assume is conditioning. Today 95 high, car plugged in all day, in hot garage but juice box shows no conditioning on app. Does this seem normal? (Wondering if not conditioning today as battery rested, as car not driven today). Thnks.

I think the 'conditioning' being referred to is the electric usage which is DISCHARGING the battery, such as when you are driving.

Charging the car does not DIS-Charge the battery so therefore the figure remains at 0%.

You should be able to tell if it is working if you DO NOT initially plug in the car when parking, but several hours later (while still hot) plugging in and waiting to hear the A/C compressor start up to cool the battery.

Probably discussed elsewhere but battery conditioning is climate control for the pack, not the discharge from cell balancing. And 90-97 isn't that hot. Oh, make no mistake, I'm positive that with the humidity in Houston that 97 feels like you're gonna die at any second, but the battery doesn't care. In Los Angeles, my battery conditioning doesn't kick in until it's at least 102, and even when it's hot as hell and 110, it's only a percent or two.

Good luck.

The battery conditioning is triggered by the temperature of the battery pack - so less chance it will activate if you can park in the shade (parked at work in full sun at 90 degrees in the shade will give you a hot battery pack for the drive home).

I always tried to park in the shade on truly hot days, even if it meant an extra 5 minute walk.

Back