Steering wheel comming loose

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpsman

My steering wheel all of a sudden developed play or slop and is making clunking noise. How do I post an iPhone video?

gpsman said:
My steering wheel all of a sudden developed play or slop and is making clunking noise. How do I post an iPhone video?
I've seen one or two reports of one of the bolts holding the steering wheel shaft to the universal joint just up behind the accelerator pedal coming loose - that's something that should be easy to check.

Ok. The “loose” clunking sound seems to be coming from inside the car. Like the bolts connecting the actual wheel to the actual steering shaft. Probably so. I’ll need to drive 250 miles before I can take it in though.

gpsman said:
Ok. The “loose” clunking sound seems to be coming from inside the car. Like the bolts connecting the actual wheel to the actual steering shaft. Probably so. I’ll need to drive 250 miles before I can take it in though.
I sure wouldn’t keep driving it for another 250 miles.... any GM dealer (or any serious mechanic for that matter) should be able to diagnose and fix a steering issue.

Took it to a dealer at 8am Saturday.
It was there 8am to 4:30pm.

Only for them to tell me:
It’s the pinion gear of the rack & pinion steering, and they don’t have the part, and it will be 10 to 14 days before they can get the part.

And it’s a TWO DAY job to replace it. They will give me a loaner car next time I bring it in... however this will cost me money as I need to take time off from work and the dealer and work are in opposite directions.

They said there is no safety concern with driving it.

Back