Google maps with Carplay and IOS 12 beta

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

It is claimed that Iphone's IOS 12 (still in beta version) now enables Google Maps to be used with CarPlay.
I installed IOS 12 Beta but I had no success displaying Google Maps on the car's screen.
Anybody knows how to add Google Maps?

Ok, IOS12 is out and loaded. Followed various howtos to get google maps on Carplay, no joy. Google maps is on the iphone. I get to the Chevy MyLink carplay setup screen on the iphone and it says to touch and hold home screen and drag icons to the desired location. That's not possible, so I must be missing something. Any ideas?

Does the Bolt's infotainment software need an update to do this? I have 14.5.0 [no a b or c].

geoallen said:
Ok, IOS12 is out and loaded. Followed various howtos to get google maps on Carplay, no joy. Google maps is on the iphone. I get to the Chevy MyLink carplay setup screen on the iphone and it says to touch and hold home screen and drag icons to the desired location. That's not possible, so I must be missing something. Any ideas?

Does the Bolt's infotainment software need an update to do this? I have 14.5.0 [no a b or c].

Let me start out by saying when I was at our local AT&T store the guy confirmed that Google Maps was going to be allowed with IOS12 along with a few other apps. My phone has not given me the option to download yet. I read your trouble shooting and did not understand your reference to the home screen so I thought I would post the following. On your i-Phone are you going to setup - General - CarPlay - Chevrolet Mylink? From there you should see all the available apps that are capable with CarPlay. From there just drag up. Hop this helps.

Yes, I get to that screen, but google maps isn't listed. It may be that it needs to be updated to work with carplay; I have the current google maps version. Oh well...

geoallen said:
Yes, I get to that screen, but google maps isn't listed. It may be that it needs to be updated to work with carplay; I have the current google maps version. Oh well...

I just updated my phone to IOS 12 and no joy as well. If you find anything out please post and I will do the same. Thanks!

This is what I found that is dated 14 Sep 18. I guess we need to wait for the third party apps to finish their integration. :0(

https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/14/ios-google-maps-carplay/

Google just updated their maps app a few moments ago. It now supports CarPlay! Next up soon, Waze!!!

Back