Upgrade to Heated Steering Wheel

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volksr6

I recently bought the heated steering wheel from Chev parts to replace my basic steering wheel (non heated) for my 2017 Bolt LT. However, we are unable to make the heated function work after installation (all other control is fine). Is there any way we can make this work on my bolt?

Did you ask anyone if this should work? Not that I know any reason why it shouldn't. I did check my car to see if I could hear a relay used for it, but I could not hear any.

This is complete and sheer speculation, but you might try turning the car off and disconnecting the negative terminal of the 12V battery for a few minutes before reconnecting it again. That should force all of the car's computers to reboot, and there's a chance that as they boot up and enumerate all of the equipment in the car they'll see the heated steering wheel controls and enable their operation.

SeanNelson said:
This is complete and sheer speculation, but you might try turning the car off and disconnecting the negative terminal of the 12V battery for a few minutes before reconnecting it again. That should force all of the car's computers to reboot, and there's a chance that as they boot up and enumerate all of the equipment in the car they'll see the heated steering wheel controls and enable their operation.
I thought there is some settings need in the system.

Typically it is not possible to add an accessory that didn't come with the car other than GM accessories. I did find a TSB for bolts that have heated steering wheel that don't work because of a SIR coil application part is wrong. also found that the their is a heated steering wheel module, the module is very small located in the bottom leg of the steering wheel. Maybe (I don't Know) replacing the SIR coil and confirming the heated steering wheel module is included with steering wheel is all it needs

I purchased the steering wheel from GM parts and this is the wheels for bolt with the winter package. My mechanic install the wheel but we can't get the heated function work.

Again, not directly answering your question, but when I looked into adding rear parking sensors to another GM product, the wiring was already in place, but I was told the computer is programmed to look for and recognize only those systems installed at time of production. It requires dealer computer equipment to reflash the computer to see added systems.

jack vines

I looked at the wire schematic for the heated steering wheel. A few things I saw was the heated steering wheel module does not have any data circuit to communicate with other modules, It seem as the it only needs power and ground, Does your bolt have a 30amp fuse in the underhood fuse block location F31um , have a 7.5 amp fuse in the instrument fuse block location F26DA , does the new steering wheel have the heater module in the bottom spoke? Is there a violet with green wire in one of the lower corners of the steering wheel air bag roll connector?
If the fuses are present then it is likely that all it needs to work is the correct air bag connector.

Bern said:
I looked at the wire schematic for the heated steering wheel. A few things I saw was the heated steering wheel module does not have any data circuit to communicate with other modules, It seem as the it only needs power and ground, Does your bolt have a 30amp fuse in the underhood fuse block location F31um , have a 7.5 amp fuse in the instrument fuse block location F26DA , does the new steering wheel have the heater module in the bottom spoke? Is there a violet with green wire in one of the lower corners of the steering wheel air bag roll connector?
If the fuses are present then it is likely that all it needs to work is the correct air bag connector.

Thank you Bern for look into this. The F31um is in the instrument fuse block and I installed a 7.5amp fuse in the F26DA. The heated wheel button don't have any response after both fuse in the positions. Do you know how is the heater module looks like? Do I need to have the airbag connector in violet with green wire? I need to bring this to my mechanic to open this up to find it out, do you have any idea about the parts number of the correct airbag connector? I look into the parts online, find this module and on the site it describe as 'Module ASM Steering wheel heat control'; https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-module-asm-strg-whl-ht-cont-23370681.html
Will this be the part I am looking for?

I know this thread is 2 years old.

I am trying to do the same upgrade.
Any luck adding the heated steering wheel?

I have a base bolt. So far I believe I would need these parts:
- 84133733 - Steering Wheel
- 39136243 - Coil w heated pass through
- 7.5A fuse

This thread was the most information I could find online. If I don't hear an answer from the OP or anyone knowledgeable, I will order the parts next week, and report here after installation whether or not it worked

Reporting back. Great steering wheel but not heat.

The new clock spring has 2 extra pins, that are not connected on the base harness. I was not able to find the part number for this harness. Could anyone help with this?

Back