4G Hotspot poor performance/radio reception

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tttait

My 4G hotspot is barely pulling in a cell signal. Could be a problem with the cellular modem or the antenna.

I get 0.2 mbps from my hotspot while getting 100mbps from my ATT mobile phone .

I suspect there may be a bad shared antenna with the radio, as reception there had suffered there too.

Does anyone know if they use a common antenna assembly etc?

Anybody else had issues?

I’ve never been happy with my $20/month unlimited data WiFi.

I had OnStar update it once but the performance is spotty.

I keep it now because it might help in the hills for my Uber app connection.

It's just gone from bad to dead.

The unit still broadcasts its SSID, but I can no longer logon. It appears to disconnect immediately and automatically.

I can still check vehicle status via the onstar app. I'll presume that onstar and the 4G/Wifi use the same data service. I'll ask.

Maybe the extended warranty was a good choice. More after the break.

My OnStar WiFi continues to be poor when I need it the most:

Delivering an Uber passenger to a location in the hills.

This time, I turned off my iPhone WiFi and my T-Mobile data was still working.

I received another “restart” from the OnStar rep but I cannot tell if it improved the service once I returned from the hills.

The 4G/wifi hotspot is part of the Onstar Module. The Dealer has confirmed its bad and has ordered a replacement.

I am told its a module behind the radio assembly under the dash...

Will report once its replaced.

Tom

Glad I purchased the extended warranty - cost to replace the 4g/Wifi/Onstar module was $1161.32 .

It's a pain in the butt to get the new one working, about half an hour on the phone with Onstar but we finally got it working.They had to provision it etc.

Back