What do I do, if I lock my Key Fob in car?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobo

Is that an impossibility? Something that can not be done? Anybody can steal my car and drive away?
As long a the Fob in the car, is everything "open" or "on" ?

What if I lose my Fob. Say in the store while shopping? I would be locked out of car.

If so....was thinking of this.
You know that HIDDEN Key in my Fob, is there anyway I can get a COPY of this hidden key only?
I am really old school... was thinking of a "hide a key" somewhere on the exterior of my Bolt for the hidden key COPY.

Or is there an APP I should get for my phone? Heck if I know. :lol:

Thanks again...this group is great.

bobo said:
You know that HIDDEN Key in my Fob, is there anyway I can get a COPY of this hidden key only?
Well, one obvious way would be to buy a spare key fob, take the physical key out of it, and throw out rest... Of course you'd need to take the key to a locksmith to have it cut to match your existing physical key.

But in practical terms I don't see what the difference would be to hiding a complete key fob somewhere on the car's exterior. You can't do anything with the physical key alone other than open the door - you still need the rest of the fob to start and drive. So you need to keep that inside the car somewhere, and if someone finds the physical key then they can take their time looking for the rest of the fob once they've opened the door...

There is a phone app that can unlock the car:

1) On your home computer confirm you have, create your 'myChevrolet' account (your dealer should have done this with you).

https://my.chevrolet.com/login

Then go into account settings>security settings and set or reset PIN#

2) download the myChevrolet phone app (it won't work unless you first create a mychevrolet account).

click on your phone as follows: mychevrolet icon>key fob>unlock (enter four digit PIN#) ..

& you're in.

:)

I have always carried a spare (flat) key in my wallet for almost every car I have owned. I have only used a spare 3 times in over 30 years (and two of those were because my wife and my son locked the key in the car).

I don't need to do that with the Bolt (and didn't for the Spark) because I can unlock the doors (and "remote start") using a mobile app.

You asked " What do I do, if I lock my Key Fob in car? " - that question has been answered. Now if you have misplaced your key+fob and want to drive the car ...

Buy a third fob, pair it with the car (described in the manual), then wrap it in anti-static (radio-wave impervious) paper - or better yet, take the battery out and leave it in the bag to be inserted if needed - and tape it under the driver's seat.

You can then unlock the car with the app, and have a spare key+fob to drive the car.

bobo said:
But if I hide the compete Fob somewhere on the car, wouldn't that just keep everything "open"?
Just leave the battery out of the fob. You can use the physical key to unlock the car so that you can get inside, and you can place the unpowered fob into the designated spot at the bottom of the centre console to start and drive the car. Or you could leave a spare battery in the glove compartment, which might be a good idea regardless...

Thanks. Thats a real good idea !!! :D
And what I will probably do.
I was looking at my Fob. Took the key out of the Fob. I did not see any obvious way to remove the battery?
Do I "pop" the unit apart?
Thanks again. I am new to all this.... so steep learning curve. Lots of dumb questions... :lol:
I love my BOLT.

google search results for :

Chevy "Bolt" remove battery key fob

(the quotes around Bolt mean that that word must be in the search results)

https://www.google.com/search?q=Chevy+Bolt+remove+battery+key+fob&oq=Chevy+Bolt+remove+battery+key+fob&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.9697j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Back