Can I plug in a solar panel to my Bolt?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobo

With a correct solar panel.....CONTROLLER.
I think I read somewhere, I can not.
If so. why not? Or provide me a link why not. Thanks.. :D
For example... a an array of solar panels, plugged directly into the "side" of Bolt.
Or even 1 solar panel I carry on the roof of my car.
Thanks.... :ugeek:

DucRider said:
If you have the DCFC option, it will take DC, but only thru a charger. There is lots of communication as to voltage and amperage. You can't just plug a panel in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Charging_System

As an electrical engineer, it might just barely be possible to do this with out a charger. I'd need a whole stack of solar cells, not panels, and a big box of optically isolated FET switches. A big stack of specifications. A few smart programmers. Computers, lots of wire, a crate of coffee. Maybe two crates of coffee. Over a year's time.

How? Switching in the correct solar cells to provide exactly the current and voltage needed.

And it would only work if there were no clouds in the sky.

Rube Goldberg would be proud. :lol: :roll:

Seriously.

The car's battery management tells the DC charger what to do. What voltage and current to put out. A solar panel can not listen and follow instructions.

Thanks.
So theoretically, would this work?
If I have a solar panel array with controller, and supply this to an inverter,
converting DC to AC.
And then plug the charger that came with the Bolt into the inverter?
Just curious. :D

bobo said:
So theoretically, would this work?
If I have a solar panel array with controller, and supply this to an inverter,
converting DC to AC.
And then plug the charger that came with the Bolt into the inverter?
Just curious. :D

Yes, more than theoretically. I've done it. My solar array goes through an SMA inverter on its way to the grid. The inverter has a "secure power supply," meaning an outlet that it will feed if the grid goes down. I've used that outlet to charge the car.

That said, I'd never do this on a regular basis. It's much more efficient to send the solar to the house/grid and pull what you need to charge the car from the home electrical supply. The car will only take half of what my solar is producing at mid-day, so I'd be wasting a lot of power.

Thanks...very interesting.
So, I would better off supplying Solar to my whole house. Which I have thought of doing anyway.

PS there is a Youtube Video showing a man charging his Bolt via Solar. I have not digested it all. Looks to be pretty elaborate.

Back