Speculation ahead of CES reveal tomorrow

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picasso

Interesting article on Inside EVs about what could be expected from the upcoming reveal, though I would share it with the Chevy Bolt EV forum.

1. Interior space.
It's a compact, but larger than sub-compacts like the Chevy Spark EV, more on par with the Chevy Sonic likely.
Bolt-wheelbase-comparison-750x330.jpg

2. GM Bolt Acceleration
Other little electric vehicles are fun to drive, with the i3 and the Spark EV both having 0-60 times under 8 seconds. The Bolt should be similar to the Spark EV.

3. EV Charging

DC charging

Some prior statements by GM hinted at 45 minutes to 80% charge-160 miles in 45 minutes.

If one needed to pick up a few extra miles in a pinch, a 15 minute stop would net 53 miles of range-pretty decent. That implies charging powers higher than the typical Chademo DC charger of 50-60 kw. More like 80 kw, which is easily achievable on the vehicle side, the problem will be to find an SAE combination charger that will put out 80 kw, as most USA DC fast chargers are closer to 50 kw, and that most also have Chademo plugs and not SAE combination plugs.

Expect the Bolt to accept DC charging powers of around 80-90 kw.

AC charging

GM received a lot of criticism for limiting the Gen 2 Volt to 3.3 kw charging on the AC side. The Nissan Leaf as a comparison has a 6.6 kw AC onboard charger.

While level 2 AC charging (per the spec) will allow powers as high as 19.2 kw, we expect GM to offer only 6.6 kw. Why? Cost is the answer. GM’s $37,000 price target is a challenge, and bigger on board chargers cost more.

Since we're speculating :lol:

I don't think GM will release Bolt EV specifications like range and acceleration figures until sometime mid year, perhaps in the summer. This is similar to their information roll out with the Chevy Spark EV, and gives them more time to test/tweak/finalize those things.

And for interior space, the Bolt will be longer than the Chevrolet Sonic, and with the skateboard battery pack (and presumably no center tunnel) the interior space will be great.

I'll play! Here are my best guesses for the Bolt Forum:

1. Acceleration - the Bolt name implies it will bolt off the line, so I'll say less than 6 seconds 0-60mph (plus they have to compete with a Tesla Model 3 remember?)

2. Heating - it will use a heat pump as the best balance between heat and energy loss

3 Fast charging - 6.6kW DC charging

I hope the charging is faster, even the Volkswagen e-Golf has a 7.2 kW rate.

As for heat, again from Volkswagen, the e-Golf uses an in-windshield heating element to more efficiently clear moisture than a heated-air-blower combination.

I'm expecting 6.6 kW charging.

Interior room will be larger than a Sonic, a bit smaller than a Trax.

I think she'll give an EPA range number "based on GM testing," which will be a few miles less than the final EPA number.

We won't learn pricing until sometime in the spring or summer.

Back