Question: Ever been ICE'd?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, this isn't "ICEd" - it's worse. The parking garages at SFO (San Francisco airport) have quite a few EV charging spots. They are *always* taken, by EVs that are either fully charged, or NOT PLUGGED IN. I complain every time I got to SFO, but nothing has been changed. (My guess is that they are airport employees that get free parking.)

SparkE said:
Well, this isn't "ICEd" - it's worse. The parking garages at SFO (San Francisco airport) have quite a few EV charging spots. They are *always* taken, by EVs that are either fully charged, or NOT PLUGGED IN. I complain every time I got to SFO, but nothing has been changed. (My guess is that they are airport employees that get free parking.)

This is actually an interesting scenario. Occasionally I come across EV drivers that share that they like to park at airports plugged in before leaving for a trip because they can start their charging on their way back. I might suspect that what's happening (depending on the vehicle) is someone - maybe an airport employee- is unplugging them after they notice the car has been there for a day or so.

ChargePoint said:
SparkE said:

This is actually an interesting scenario. Occasionally I come across EV drivers that share that they like to park at airports plugged in before leaving for a trip because they can start their charging on their way back. I might suspect that what's happening (depending on the vehicle) is someone - maybe an airport employee- is unplugging them after they notice the car has been there for a day or so.

IMO, long-term airport parking is not the right place for L2. They should simply provide a 120V outlet. The cost of parking in the garage more than makes up for the small amount of electricity an EV would pull. And even a large-battery EV like a Bolt only needs a few days at most to charge.

ChargePoint said:
SparkE said:

These are in the short-term parking garages - charging spots ALWAYS full, and almost always by cars which are NOT charging - which is why I think that they are used by airport employees.

Yes I have. I just recently purchased a Bolt, but I've been driving a converted EV for 9 years now (still am). The usual reason I have been ICE'd is the EVSE is seldom used (especially 6-9 years ago) so people figure they can park there. I just go inside the establishment and ask politely if they can move the vehicle. They have always been friendly and accommodating. On rare occasions the vehicle owner could not be found. In that case I kill time going for a walk, getting some coffee or some such, until the vehicle is gone, if there is not another EVSE within my remaining range (I check on Plugshare).

This just happened to me for the first time, this past Friday afternoon. My Bolt was a bit low on charge and I decided to go to the mall near my office, where there is an EVgo DC charging station with 2 Combo plugs. I pulled into the parking structure where the station is, and there was a Chevy Volt in one space, which is all fine, and an ICE in the other spot. So, I pulled into a space near that one and waited for a bit to see if anyone would come out. The woman who drove the ICE did come out after 10 minutes or so and before she got in her car, I walked over to her and told her that I'd been waiting to charge my car and that she shouldn't be parking in a clearly-marked EV space, without an EV. She basically said something on the order of "So sue me" (but with words I can't use here).

So frustrating.

I would think you could have talked to the mall security to have them towed. They should have a tow away signed to discourage people from parking there in the first place.

mojito5606 said:
I would think you could have talked to the mall security to have them towed. They should have a tow away signed to discourage people from parking there in the first place.

1) depends on state law (in the US) - and not all states HAVE a law

2) spot has to be *properly* signed - not just signed. For example, in Calif "for EV charging only" isn't enough to have a car legally towed

3) what business wants to alienate a customer? Because having a customer's car towed is NOT the way to establish 'loyalty'

#3 is why I really want Calif law to change so that cars can be ticketed for parking in an EV spot when not charging - ANY car, not just ICE vehicles. I read that there was a small city in GA (i think) that earned over $30K a month because there was a handicapped spot in a very busy, no-parking-avail part of town, and the local police had been told to ALWAYS swing by and check that spot whenever anywhere near it. ONE space paid for an entire cop's salary and benefits.

I was ICE'd at a hotel. It took the hotel only half an hour to find the owner of the car, and have him move it. I guess he was at a meeting in the hotel at the time. However, I have the QuickChargePower extension cable, so I could have still charged, if I had parked somewhat illegally in the hotel's underground parking facilities.

Back