EVgo installing 350kw fast chargers at Baker, CA.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo

Great news for anyone driving from LA to Vegas and back. Hope this is the first of many.

This will be a great place to test exactly how fast the Bolt charges.

http://insideevs.com/evgo-installing-first-350-kw-ultra-fast-public-charging-station-us/

...oh and Tesla might have to step up their charging rates soon.

That's great to hear, but since a final standard for 350-kW CCS charging hasn’t yet been established, it's all vaporware. But if they start the work now, with the idea that they will be installing multiple 350kW chargers, the infrastructure will be there when the standards (and the hardware) catch up. Even starting with 135 kW charging when the station opens, with the idea of adding a couple of 350 kW stations when they are available, would be a huge first step (since there are currently NO cars that will accept even 135 kW charging). Adding stations near Bakerfield/Buttonwillow and Los Banos along I-5 would make LA/SF Bay Area an *easy* and fast EV trip. One more station somewhere in the neighborhood of Sacramento would open most of the state up for long distance trips all the way up to Tahoe and even Reno, NV.

As much as I hate EVgo, at least *somebody* is setting an example - maybe other companies will follow.

https://electrek.co/2016/12/15/electric-vehicle-dc-fast-charging-station-in-us-breaks-ground-in-california/

Pigwich said:
Did I hear correctly that the bolt can charge at 80KW from DC?
Yes, you probably heard that but the statements made by GM are ambiguous and they decline to disambiguate them.

So, it could be a peak rate of 80 kW or it could be a peak current of 160A since D.C. chargers are sometimes referred to by their theoretical charge power even though actual cars always charge at lesser rates due to the design particulars of their battery packs. In other words, 80 kW is 160A at 500V (today's peak CCS voltage level).

If the real peak limit is 160A, then a ~10% full Bolt EV would charge at around 320V at 160 amps or 51 kW and a half-full battery would be around 350V at 160 or 56 kW.

Bottom line, we will just have to wait and see.

Back