Bolt won't remember my 12 amp setting

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhavinator

Hi everyone. Just got my Bolt on Thursday. Super excited. I have an issue with my Bolt remembering that I set it to 12 amps. I'm currently using my level 1 charger that came with the car and I switch the toggle to turn it up to 12 amps. That works but then the next day the car goes back to 8 amps and I have to move back to 12 amps every time I plug it in.

Is there a reason for this? Can't the car just stay in 12 amp mode?

My Spark EV has the same "feature". I suspect the lawyers wanted it that way.

Perhaps you can set it and get it to stick with the location-based charging?

The manual should be considered a better source of advice than the internet:

"The charge limit can be changed and saved using Location Based Charging settings. The default value is the lower current limit. The charge current limit will reset to the lower value when the vehicle is shifted from P (Park) unless the Location Based Charging feature is active and set to retain this preference." (p.126)

You can change the Energy Settings to allow the car to "remember" to recharge at 12 amps when at home.

Make sure that you are "at home" and the car is in the garage before you start to do this.

Turn on the car. Press the green "Energy" button on the main screen, press Charging and set the Charge Limit to 12 amps.
Then go back to the Energy screen and press "Energy Settings" and turn on "Location Based Charging."

That's it. The car should now "remember" to charge at 12 amps when it is parked in the garage.

This default (going back to 8 amps) was a controversial point when it was introduced in the Volt after some 110V chargers were showing signs of overheating/meltdown at 12 amps in inappropriate outlets. So of course the safest, if most inconvenient, approach was to require us to manually make the selection each time.

I see the suggestion for "at home" in our own garage above! I am going to try this as my garage is clearly safe for 12 amps.

sgt1372 said:
You can change the Energy Settings to allow the car to "remember" to recharge at 12 amps when at home.

Make sure that you are "at home" and the car is in the garage before you start to do this.

Turn on the car. Press the green "Energy" button on the main screen, press Charging and set the Charge Limit to 12 amps.
Then go back to the Energy screen and press "Energy Settings" and turn on "Location Based Charging."

That's it. The car should now "remember" to charge at 12 amps when it is parked in the garage.
What a great tip and IT WORKS!!!

All those frustrating "turn on the 12 amp setting" charges of my Chevy Volt and 6 weeks of my Bolt EV are a distant memory!!!

MichaelLAX said:
All those frustrating "turn on the 12 amp setting" charges of my Chevy Volt and 6 weeks of my Bolt EV are a distant memory!!!
The Gen2 Volts also have this location-based 12A charging capability.

I don't know if you were "there" but Volt owners were furious when the default 8amp setting was implemented! I, being a geeky engineer historically, understood its purpose.

I am glad to hear they added that improvement among the many others of the Gen 2!

Actually, an electrician came out today to take some photos to later give me an estimate for construction of an approximate 100' 220V extension cord from the 220V 30amp outlet I had installed at the electrical box when I first leased my Volt, and installation up and around to my separate garage so that I can use my mothballed Clipper Creek LCS-25P.

While only a 16A unit appropriate for the Volt, it will give me a good reductions in charging times for when I use the Bolt EV for long distances that are not appropriate for DCFC recharging.

I never used it much for the Volt as the cost to permanently install 220V into the garage was too large an expenditure compared to charge times for the Volt at 110V and now I am considering other options, such as solar.

The outlet at the electric box was cheap to install but required me to park the Volt in the alley to charge and one parking ticket disabused me of the habit of using that method to charge it!

bhavinator said:
Hi everyone. Just got my Bolt on Thursday. Super excited. I have an issue with my Bolt remembering that I set it to 12 amps. I'm currently using my level 1 charger that came with the car and I switch the toggle to turn it up to 12 amps. That works but then the next day the car goes back to 8 amps and I have to move back to 12 amps every time I plug it in.

Is there a reason for this? Can't the car just stay in 12 amp mode?

Hi bhavinator,

Zoomit is correct when referencing the Location Based Charging setting for your Bolt. If you have any questions about getting this set up, or want to discuss charging options further, please feel free to shoot us a private message. We'd be happy to help.

Warm Regards,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

I understand that if Location Based Charging is on and 12A is selected, then the 12A setting will be retained while at the home location. This setting is retained for 90 days and must be renewed. Fine.

Is there a way to also have the 12A setting "stick" at a non-home location such as work in addition to home?

I don't think so.

BUT there is a neat trick:

You can stick the 8/12 amp toggle on your home screen!

It will revert to 8 amps every time you leave "home" (which of course can be "any" single spot) but at least the toggle can be handy and you won't have to dig to find it. And when visible, constantly reminds you.

Second tip: You can change the amperage input from the my Chevy App. Thus if you in your office or are tucked in bed and "remember" you can switch it from 8 to 12 or vice-versa.

Patronus said:
This setting is retained for 90 days and must be renewed.

Where does it say this?

Why would you need to reset your "home" charging settings every 90 days? I'd find that really annoying.

I always charge outdoors.
San Fransicso has not been above 60 degrees since I bought my Bolt.
I always use the included 120 volt EVSE.
I always charge at 12 amps.

The STUPID CHEVY cord has 18 gauge wire.
This is "lamp cord". (Designed for 100 watt to maybe 300 watt 3-way lamps.)

My cord OUTDOORS in the wind and rain (even at night) is getting warm to the touch.

WOULD IT HAVE KILLED YOU CHEVROLET TO SPEND 50 cents more on using 20 feet of 16 gauge cord???!

Look up any enginnering or electrician textbook.

18 gauge portable cords are rated for 10 amps!!!
16 gauge portable cords are rated for 13 amps.
14 gauge portable cords are rated for 18 amps.
12 gauge portable cords are rated for 25 amps.

* all under 50 feet in length - must upsize for longer runs of wire

DAMMIT CHEVY!!!!

View attachment IMG_0804.PNG

sgt1372 said:
Patronus said:

Where does it say this?

Why would you need to reset your "home" charging settings every 90 days? I'd find that really annoying.

It is in the manual.

sgt1372 said:
Patronus said:
sgt1372 said:
Where does it say this?

It is in the manual.

Do you have a page #? PITA to flip through the whole thing just to look for that.

Get the .pdf version of the manual so you can quickly search. Page 126.

sgt1372 said:
Patronus said:

Where does it say this?

Patronus said:
sgt1372 said:
Patronus said:
It is in the manual.

Do you have a page #? PITA to flip through the whole thing just to look for that.

Page 126.

Thanks but I just read pg 126. In fact, I read the entire section from Pg 124 (Programmable Charging) through Pg 130 (Location Based Charging) and there's NOTHING written that says anything about the Location Based Charging settings needing to be reset in 90 days.

So, I call BS on that! Any settings made with Location Based Charging activated should remain in effect until they are changed manually by the owner/driver.

If anyone says different, please provide the specific page reference to the manual or other document to prove it.

sgt1372 said:
sgt1372 said:
Patronus said:

Where does it say this?

Patronus said:
sgt1372 said:

Page 126.

Thanks but I just read pg 126. In fact, I read the entire section from Pg 124 (Programmable Charging) through Pg 130 (Location Based Charging) and there's NOTHING written that says anything about the Location Based Charging settings needing to be reset in 90 days.

So, I call BS on that! Any settings made with Location Based Charging activated should remain in effect until they are changed manually by the owner/driver.

If anyone says different, please provide the specific page reference to the manual or other document to prove it.

Page 130: "After 90 days, a notification will display and the Charge Limit Preference will need to be reset for the next 90 days."

Back