Chargepoint and EVGo chargers

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltage

Questions about Chargepoint and EVGo chargers:

1. Are there any Chargepoint DC "fast" chargers that are 50 kW? The ones I can find on the map are all 24 kW.

2. How much does using an EVGo charger without a subscription cost? The EVGo web site mentions that you can call (and presumably give a credit card number) for a charge if you do not have a subscription, but does not mention a price.

boltage said:
Questions about Chargepoint and EVGo chargers:

1. Are there any Chargepoint DC "fast" chargers that are 50 kW? The ones I can find on the map are all 24 kW.

2. How much does using an EVGo charger without a subscription cost? The EVGo web site mentions that you can call (and presumably give a credit card number) for a charge if you do not have a subscription, but does not mention a price.

1. Yes. I know of about 10 within 40 mi of my house. They are documented on the chargepoint web site (named the Express 200).

2. It appears to be location dependent. Go to the evgo website, click on "sign me up" link, enter your location info, and it shows you the 3 plans. Click on the "View Plan" box. It's really that simple. In the SF Bay Area, costs for the "no sub" plan are : (a) $1.50/hr for Level-2 charging, (b) $5 'session' fee + $0.20/min for DCFC.

Note: SparkE's comment is EXTREMELY location-dependent.

In most of the US, you won't find a dozen CCS DCFCs in a whole State.

At this point in time, being able to on public chargers is strictly a local phenomenon, and in many states, 25kW, i.e. ~60miles/hour charge rate is most common.

I signed up for the cheapest EVgo plan. It cost $5 to sign up but costs nothing at all per month so it's the best plan if you don't expect to use DC fast chargers but want the option for the rare highway trip. When charging, it's supposed to cost $5 plus $0.20 per minute. However I believe they automatically stop charging after 30 minutes, so basically it's $11 for a 30-minute (~90-mile) charge. This is equivalent to a 35-mpg car paying $4.28/gallon for gas or a 25-mpg car paying $3.06/gallon for gas.

EldRick said:
Note: SparkE's comment is EXTREMELY location-dependent.

In most of the US, you won't find more than a couple of dozen CCS DCFCs in a whole State.

At this point in time, being able to on public chargers is strictly a local phenomenon, and in many states, 25kW, i.e. ~60miles/hour charge rate is most common.

Of course it was (at least the one about how many are 'near' my house)! All charging availability issues are location-dependent - that's why I specifically mentioned the SF Bay Area in my post. I said on another thread a while back (?several weeks?) - my advice to anyone is to figure out what is available near you . Use the PlugShare app to see what vendor(s) are best for you, offer the best match to what you need.

The other obvious comment is that the charging infrastructure is a-changing. It's a living beast, so to speak. In CA, the state just dropped a few more million $$$ on the waters to install more chargers across the state (including chains of fast chargers to improve N-S travel corridors). Both ChargePoint and EVgo have announced super-quick-chargers to be available this coming summer (they will have multi-standard connectors and be in the 350-400 kW range).

2 EvGo DCFC chargers were recently installed just off the freeway less than a mile from my house. There's a credit card slot AND a EvGo card reader on each charger.

Called EvGo to ask if I had to subscribe to use them or could I just slide my credit card into one to start a session. Was told that I could just use my credit card and the flat rate charge of $9.95 per session would be about the same if I subscribed and used the charger for 1/2 hour.

However, this thread implies a couple of other questions that I didn't ask.

Are all EvGo sessions limited to 30 minutes max and, if more charging is needed, is another session immediately started resulting in a $20 instead of $10 charge or do you have to restart the process in order to begin another session

After I return from a 150-170 mile RT to/from SF, it would be convenient to stop at the EvGo DCFC chargers to top off w/90 miles of charge in 30 mins for $10 in order to minimize the time required for a full charge at home.

However, it wouldn't be so good if they automatically charge $20 for a two 30 min sessions, which would almost be the same as what I was paying to gas up my gas guzzling FJ Cruiser after a drive into the City. Will call them again to clarify this.

BTW, there are 9 FREE Chargepoint L2 charges located about 3 miles away in the other direction to from my house but there's no particular advantage using them if I already have an L2 charger at home.

Ok, called EvGo again and was told that sessions automatically terminate at 30 minutes. So, if you are not a member and pay the flat rate, it's a $9.95 charge regardless how many mins you use up to 30.

Also asked what the max charge rate of their DCFC charger is and was told 50kw/hr. So, if you believe what manual says and the Bolt can be recharged up to 90 miles in range in 30 mins at 80 kw/hr. That should mean that a 30 min session on the EvGo DCFC will only yield about 56 miles in range.

Is this correct?

If so, it would take 3 sessions and 90 mins for a total cost of $30 to fully recharge after one of my 150-170 round trips into the City. That's about as expensive than what I had to pay for about 15 gals of gas after a trip to the City in the gas guzzling FJ Cruiser that I traded in for the Bolt.

So, looks like I'm not going to be using the EvGo DCFC unless I need a "quick" charge urgently.

sgt1372 said:
Ok, called EvGo again and was told that sessions automatically terminate at 30 minutes. So, if you are not a member and pay the flat rate, it's a $9.95 charge regardless how many mins you use up to 30.

Also asked what the max charge rate of their DCFC charger is and was told 50kw/hr. So, if you believe what manual says and the Bolt can be recharged up to 90 miles in range in 30 mins at 80 kw/hr. That should mean that a 30 min session on the EvGo DCFC will only yield about 56 miles in range.

Is this correct?

If so, it would take 3 sessions and 90 mins for a total cost of $30 to fully recharge after one of my 150-170 round trips into the City. That's about as expensive than what I had to pay for about 15 gals of gas after a trip to the City in the gas guzzling FJ Cruiser that I traded in for the Bolt.

So, looks like I'm not going to be using the EvGo DCFC unless I need a "quick" charge urgently.

I detailed approximate EVgo costs in another thread.

"Is this correct? " No, it is not. 30 mins at a 50 kW EVgo DCFC *should* get you between 20-25 kWh (depending on whether the DCFC is 100A or 125A, and what the SoC is during charging). So, if you are charging starting at 25-35% SoC, you should be able to get 22-24 kWh from a 30 min charge. That SHOULD be an absolute min range of 66mi, and should be closer to 88 miles (if not more).

I dropped a note on their site telling them that I will not use their chargers until they drop the 30 minute nonsense.
Has anyone else taken the trouble?

SparkE said:
. . . 30 mins at a 50 kW EVgo DCFC *should* get you between 20-25 kWh (depending on whether the DCFC is 100A or 125A, and what the SoC is during charging). So, if you are charging starting at 25-35% SoC, you should be able to get 22-24 kWh from a 30 min charge. That SHOULD be an absolute min range of 66mi, and should be closer to 88 miles (if not more).

Thanks for the response.

Guess I'll just have to use the EvGo DCFC to see what the actual results are. Don't plan/need to use it except if I need a charge urgently but it'll be worth $10 for a "test charge" just in case I actually need to use it in the future.

sgt1372 said:
SparkE said:
. . . 30 mins at a 50 kW EVgo DCFC *should* get you between 20-25 kWh (depending on whether the DCFC is 100A or 125A, and what the SoC is during charging). So, if you are charging starting at 25-35% SoC, you should be able to get 22-24 kWh from a 30 min charge. That SHOULD be an absolute min range of 66mi, and should be closer to 88 miles (if not more).

Thanks for the response.

Guess I'll just have to use the EvGo DCFC to see what the actual results are. Don't plan/need to use it except if I need a charge urgently but it'll be worth $10 for a "test charge" just in case I actually need to use it in the future.

That just seems backwards. "Count" on getting only 56 miles in 30 mins for your calculations, and if you get more than that you win. Why give those pricks any money at all if you don't have to? Wait for 'the emergency' before seeing exactly how much energy you get. If you NEED to use an EVgo charger, you NEED to, and it really doesn't matter what the rate is, does it? If you live in the SF Bay area, you don't need to use EVgo at all, unless it IS an emergency situation - in which case you really don't have a choice anyways.

But then, as I already stated elsewhere (and probably multiple times) I hate EVgo with a passion, so ...

EldRick said:
I dropped a note on their site telling them that I will not use their chargers until they drop the 30 minute nonsense.
Has anyone else taken the trouble?

I dropped them a note too - and this is what I got...

Hello Pigwich,

We appreciate your feedback but this policy will remain in effect until further notice. This is for the convenience of all users who are waiting to charge on a charger.

Kind Regards,

EVgo
Description: http://www.nrgenergy.com/images/pixel-signatureline21.jpg
Eric Lopez
Operations Analyst
NRG/EVgo
1000 North Post Oak, Suite 240
Houston, TX 77055
Office: 832-582-2585

So, I dropped a note to the FTC and the CDFA Division of Measurement Standards (they're the people that put those stickers on gas pumps to say that one gallon really means one gallon) so that seems pretty appropriate.

We'll see what happens.

Just sent EVGO COO Glen Stancil the below...yes...via snail mail...real paper too:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w79aaxe81m58f0l/Letter%20to%20EVGO%20COO%20Glen%20Stancil%20-%202.13.17.pdf?dl=0

RBF

sgt1372 said:
SparkE said:

Thanks for the response.

I found a great article about charging the Bolt EV: http://insideevs.com/planning-a-long-journey-with-your-chevrolet-bolt-ev-or-opel-ampera-e/

That is a clever article, and makes a lot of sense. Helps with the planning of a longer trip.

As reported in another thread, I recently used an EvGo DCFC charger for the 1st time yesterday and only got 50 miles of additional range from 134 to 184 miles after a 30 min charge.

The charge increased the SOC in the Bolt from 62 to 80% based on a displayed max power rating of 378-387 VDC @ 99A. The charge cost me $11.95 at $5.95 plus 20 cents/min. Not great results for the cost IMO.

PS: There was no 30 min time limit on the session.

You were seeing the reduced charge rate once the SoC was over 65% - the car slows down charging to avoid heating the battery, because its resistance is higher when it has a significant charge.

sgt1372 said:
As reported in another thread, I recently used an EvGo DCFC charger for the 1st time yesterday and only got 50 miles of additional range from 134 to 184 miles after a 30 min charge.

The charge increased the SOC in the Bolt from 62 to 80% based on a displayed max power rating of 378-387 VDC @ 99A. The charge cost me $11.95 at $5.95 plus 20 cents/min. Not great results for the cost IMO.

Advice. Use fast chargers when you're fairly empty if being charged by the minute.

Someone posted a graph of the taper here:
http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5766

I think power, temperature, SOC all affect the charging, and when it tapers off. If you're car is at a higher charge you're paying the same amount for significantly less power.

My Juicebox EVSE (L2) even shows a taper across the last 1/2 hr of charging.

I started a recent thread that concluded if you use EVGo for at least one hourly charge per month, it is cheaper to buy their $14.95 per month plan that use their "free" plan and asked anyone to check my math...

It now occurs to me that if one has the $14.95 per month plan it must relieve the charger from the automatic 30 minute session STOP, as now they are only making money on the KWh's being sold. So WHY discourage anyone from charging as long as possible on this plan?

If this is true, there are now TWO GOOD reasons to sign up for the monthly plan with EVGo and I will do just that (even with their 12 month contractual zinger) just to test out these theories in the near future when I have another long ride coming up that will require a DCFC charge at its end.

Back