Selecting a Level-2 Charger

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CmdrA

Hello,
We just leased a Chevy Bolt and are looking to install a Level-2 charger at the house. I have 110 amp panel and already have an electric dryer in the garage, so it should be straightforward for an electrician. My question is whether I should use the Chevy endorsed AeroVironment's EVSE, or think longer term and get a charger with a higher rating, or any other considerations. I live in California's Bay Area, so please keep that in mind for any suggestions.
Thanks

Uh, you might want to search these forums for pages and pages of discussions on this subject before starting yet another thread....

Congrats on your Bolt!

You already have a charger - it is built into your car.

What you want is an L2 EVSE. I suggest something that works up to 10kW in case you get another car with a more powerful charger. Might want to look into something portable if you need that - like a JESLA.

I got the Juicebox 40 with the extension pack to be able to convert between most plugs. Needed that to plug into the dryer outlet for a time.

Just remember to log into it to set the current for whatever circuit you're on.

The EVSE is mainly a device for safety: keeping your car from overloading your wiring, etc. It talks to the car and agrees on a charge rate. Low end for home use runs about $300, up to as much as $900, plus 240v installation if needed (maybe $200 to $700).
Considerations:
- Portable or fixed? About the same price, but one can be taken with you for backup on road trips and if you move.
- If portable, what plugs? There are several 240v outlet types out there. I picked a 14-30/50 as the main plug, and a 120v pigtail connector for Real emergencies. Here's an intro: http://makezine.com/2016/11/02/understanding-240v-ac-power-heavy-duty-power-tools/\
- 120v/240v compatible? For real charging emergencies on the road 120v is terribly slow (~3miles/hour), but it is everywhere.
- Internet connected? Not really needed, adds cost. The car controls most functions anyway, but data freaks love the connected versions. EVSE with a display is a nice alternative.
- Certified, by UL, etc? Your choice.
- Search here or on the net for EVSE or EVSE reviews - aside from nice-to-have features, they differ very little. Amazon offers several.

I recently purchased an Open EVSE. It's a kit that you put together, although you can purchase them already built also. It seemed to offer good features for the price, and I wanted a 40A unit for future proofing. If anyone's interested in taking a look at them, you can go to OpenEVSE.com.

Nagorak said:
I recently purchased an Open EVSE. It's a kit that you put together, although you can purchase them already built also. It seemed to offer good features for the price, and I wanted a 40A unit for future proofing. If anyone's interested in taking a look at them, you can go to OpenEVSE.com.

Interesting.

As built, it's about the same price as all the rest. Not sure it's worth the savings (with increased liability and reduced warranties associated w/the self installation) to build it myself. But, if you need to save the money, I could see why you've want to buy it.

Just replaced an original Blink wall-mount with a Clipper Creek HCS-40. I was able to get the hardwire version with a 25 foot cord (better than the 18 footer on the Blink) and get restored to full 7KW functionality as Blink had restricted their units to 3.3KW after some plugs melted in use.

You can purchase through their Amazon storefront or direct from their own website. Service was fast and friendly, the new EVSE arrived in pristine condition in a very well thought-out box. The build the units to order but I had mine within a week, including shipping from Sacramento area to Portland.

No connection to the company just a satisfied customer with a "made in USA" product.

Can I use the power cord that came with The Bolt to connect to a 220/240 volt outlet or do I have to get a modified one?

devbolt said:
lmitano said:
Can I use the power cord that came with The Bolt to connect to a 220/240 volt outlet or do I have to get a modified one?
You'll need to have it modified.
You are not suggesting that there is a way to "modify" the 110v power cord that comes with the Bolt EV that upgrades it to boost it to the output from plugging it in to a 220V source, are you? Of course, there is no such modification.

UPDATE: I guess I was wrong (I had forgotten about evseupgrade.com, which I had run across during my Volt days):

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=31

stevewa said:
Just replaced an original Blink wall-mount with a Clipper Creek HCS-40. I was able to get the hardwire version with a 25 foot cord (better than the 18 footer on the Blink) and get restored to full 7KW functionality as Blink had restricted their units to 3.3KW after some plugs melted in use.

You can purchase through their Amazon storefront or direct from their own website. Service was fast and friendly, the new EVSE arrived in pristine condition in a very well thought-out box. The build the units to order but I had mine within a week, including shipping from Sacramento area to Portland.

No connection to the company just a satisfied customer with a "made in USA" product.

After reviewing the various options, I've pre-selected the Clipper Creek HCS-40P for my L2 charger. Procrastinating in buying it because it'll cost $589 plus about $500 for the electrician to install the 14-50 plug terminal and about 25 feet of conduit PLUS moving and remounting a ski rack (and all of the stuff that's hanging from it) to another wall, which I really dread doing.

I'm just making do w/the 110V charge cord for now, which hasn't been a problem yet.

MichaelLAX said:
devbolt said:
lmitano said:
You'll need to have it modified.
You are not suggesting that there is a way to "modify" the 110v power cord that comes with the Bolt EV that upgrades it to boost it to the output from plugging it in to a 220V source, are you? Of course, there is no such modification.
The EVSE that comes with the Bolt is apparently designed to work with either 120V or 240V, but it comes with a 120V plug in North America. However if you replace the plug with one that can plug into a 240V outlet, or if create an adapter that plugs into a 240V outlet and has a standard NEMA 5-15R receptical for the EVSE to plug into, then it will operate as a 240V EVSE. It's still limited to 12A, but at 240V that means 2.88KW of power compared to only 1.44KW at 120V/12A.

If you replace the plug, you loose the original plug's ability to check for overheating. If you create an adapter, you have to be very, very careful never to plug anything into it that only operates at 120V.

Details are in this post. It describes the EVSE that comes with the Chevy Volt, but apparently it's the same one that comes with the Bolt EV.

SeanNelson said:
...if you... create an adapter that plugs into a 240V outlet and has a standard NEMA 5-15R receptical for the EVSE to plug into, then it will operate as a 240V EVSE. It's still limited to 12A, but at 240V that means 2.88KW of power compared to only 1.44KW at 120V/12A.

If you replace the plug, you loose the original plug's ability to check for overheating. If you create an adapter, you have to be very, very careful never to plug anything into it that only operates at 120V.
I have not read the entire 67 page thread that you linked me to, but, excuse the pun, I find it SHOCKING that anyone would make a 220V to 110V outlet adapter and hope that they are "very, very careful never to plug anything into it that only operates at 120V."!!!!!

The proper, and safe way to do this modification, if you want to DIY, is to do what EVSEUpgrade.com does: that is, replace the units' plug with the proper 220V plug and then provide an downgrade adapter for when you want to plug the unit back into 110V!

Attachments

• evse-upgrade-volt2.jpg
    evse-upgrade-volt2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 6,611
  • Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 12.51.47 AM.png
    113.6 KB · Views: 6,611
As long as everyone in the house knew what the adapter was and that it was only to be used with the charging cord, I don't think it would be a problem. 220 outlets aren't commonly used in everyday life and people should understand not to hook up anything else to a 220 outlet (I'm sure some don't but they probably aren't the type to buy this sort of adapter anyway). You could even tape the two together if you wanted to be extra sure that no one would absently separate them.

That being said one issue is that this adapter conversion as far as I know cannot charge the Volt at its completely full rate, and with the Bolt it will probably be even further from the max charge. Personally I wouldn't bother doing it for the Bolt for that reason. I'd just cough up the money for a real EVSE.

MichaelLAX said:
I have not read the entire 67 page thread that you linked me to, but, excuse the pun, I find it SHOCKING that anyone would make a 220V to 110V outlet adapter and hope that they are "very, very careful never to plug anything into it that only operates at 120V."!!!!!
What can I say? Some people have confidence in their ability not to do stupid things.

SparkE said:
Other people don't have confidence in their ability not to do stupid things ...
Which, if you remove the double negative, means you agree with me! :lol:

Back