SparkE
Moderator
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:53 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Do not use EVgo fast chargers. No, seriously. Just don't.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:20 am

SmokingRubber wrote:The EVGo in Salinas (next to Knob Hill) times out in 30 minutes. You can restart it via the app, but another service charge applies. IMO this should be illegal. Why in the world is there another service fee other than the fact they are getting away with it?


You should upgrade your subscription to the new plan - the one that has a 45- or 60- minute limit, NO connection fee and lower monthly cost. You have to request to make the switch - they won't change your plan behind your back.

Here's an old post (March '18) that describes the change(s) : viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5834&p=29900&hilit=evgo#p29906


---------------------------------------------------------------------

The new Membership plan is only $9.99 / month:

- Monthly fee becomes a CREDIT and covers your first $9.99 of charging every month
- No session fees
- $0.15 / min DC fast rate - now through June 30th, 2018*
- 45-minute charging sessions initiated between 6:00am and 7:59pm
- 60-minute charging sessions initiated between 8:00pm and 5:59am

We also have a new Pay As You Go rate for less frequent charging:
-Only $0.20 / min DC fast rate - now through June 30th, 2018*
- No session fees or monthly fee
- 45-minute charging sessions

If you'd prefer to keep your current Flex plan, no action is needed. Further questions? Please check out our FAQ.

* The $0.15/min Membership rate and the $0.20/min Pay As You Go rate is a limited time promotion in California. As of July 1st, Membership rates in California will be between $0.18-0.21/min, and Pay As You Go rates will be between $0.25-$0.35/min, with actual rates depending on region where charger is located

User avatar
ChargePoint
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:13 pm
Location: Campbell, CA
Contact: Website WLM Facebook Twitter

Re: Do not use EVgo fast chargers. No, seriously. Just don't.

Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:39 pm

SmokingRubber wrote:
Of the four ChargePoint stations between here and Monterey, only 1 was working and it happens to be the one at the beginning of my trip so it's essentially useless for most trips when I can start off full. This time I happened to not be full, so it helped. I like ChargePoint's rate schedule and unlimited connection time, but since it's usually broken it's becoming "GhettoPoint".

Thank God their home chargers work better than their commercial chargers do. I have had ZERO problems with my ChargePoint Home. They should split the commercial chargers off into another name so they don't ruin their reputation.



Hi! I'm sorry to hear that this station has been down multiple times when you've tried to use it. I know you're familiar with ChargePoint and using the network, however, I would like to confirm that you've reported it, either via our driver support line, online form, or via the Report button on the ChargePoint app. I'd like to make sure that our team has been informed so that they might try to troubleshoot with that station's owner. Thank you!

SparkE
Moderator
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:53 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Do not use EVgo fast chargers. No, seriously. Just don't.

Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:33 pm

The one IN Monterey has been broken since April and yes, ChargePoint has been called by multiple people.

The one in Salinas has been broken since May and yes, ChargePoint has been called by multiple people.

The one in King City has had problems since April, and been broken since late June and yes, ChargePoint has been called by multiple people.

Those 24 kW DCFCs just don't seem to be very reliable, long term - I have experienced a LOT of broken ones (or 'half-broken', only putting out a max of ~11 kW).

User avatar
paulgipe
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:39 am
Location: Bakersfield, California 93305
Contact: Website

Re: Do not use EVgo fast chargers. No, seriously. Just don't.

Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:17 am

SparkE wrote:The one IN Monterey has been broken since April and yes, ChargePoint has been called by multiple people.

The one in Salinas has been broken since May and yes, ChargePoint has been called by multiple people.

The one in King City has had problems since April, and been broken since late June and yes, ChargePoint has been called by multiple people.

Those 24 kW DCFCs just don't seem to be very reliable, long term - I have experienced a LOT of broken ones (or 'half-broken', only putting out a max of ~11 kW).


The only one I've been able to use is the ChargePoint 22 kW in Pismo Beach and I suspect it has something to do with the landowner being an EV person and he keeps ChargePoint on their toes or he'll have them yank it out.

As I posted today, the chargers in Paso Robles and King City are so reliably broken we had to change our route to run by EVgo stations--which were working. ;)

Paul
Paul Gipe
2017 Bolt LT with DCFC, leased 11/09/17
2015 Nissan S with QC, leased, returned
2013 Chevy Volt Premium, used, sold
L2; ClipperCreek HCS-40; Jesla; JDapter Stub
www.wind-works.org

keijidosha
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:18 pm
Location: Simi Valley, CA

Re: Do not use EVgo fast chargers. No, seriously. Just don't.

Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:11 am

paulgipe wrote:...As I posted today, the chargers in Paso Robles and King City are so reliably broken we had to change our route to run by EVgo stations--which were working. ;)

Paul


Had same issue at Paso and King City in June And July, and also reported the problems to ChargePoint. Ended up marooned on L2 in King City. Agree that these sites are reliably broken.
- 2009 BMW MINI E > 2013 Honda Fit EV > 2017 Chevy Bolt EV
- 2013 Ford C-max Energi > Tesla Model 3 (Reservation) > Waiting for the Y or ???

BoltEV
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 am

Re: Do not use EVgo fast chargers. No, seriously. Just don't.

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:26 am

keijidosha wrote:
paulgipe wrote:...As I posted today, the chargers in Paso Robles and King City are so reliably broken we had to change our route to run by EVgo stations--which were working. ;)

Paul


Had same issue at Paso and King City in June And July, and also reported the problems to ChargePoint. Ended up marooned on L2 in King City. Agree that these sites are reliably broken.

The EVgo "haters" who propogated this thread primarily lived up in Northern California and had more options.

Down here in Southern California, EVgo was a primary source for DCFC's long before they changed they membership plans, and were a good alternative even back then too.

They are just better priced now due to competition.

boltage
Posts: 451
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:50 am

Re: Do not use EVgo fast chargers. No, seriously. Just don't.

Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:58 pm

BoltEV wrote:The EVgo "haters" who propogated this thread primarily lived up in Northern California and had more options.

Down here in Southern California, EVgo was a primary source for DCFC's long before they changed they membership plans, and were a good alternative even back then too.

They are just better priced now due to competition.


However, it was true that the EVgo's old pricing and policies were somewhat obnoxious compared to the current pricing and policies.

BoltEV
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 am

Re: Do not use EVgo fast chargers. No, seriously. Just don't.

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:27 pm

boltage wrote:
BoltEV wrote:The EVgo "haters" who propogated this thread primarily lived up in Northern California and had more options.

Down here in Southern California, EVgo was a primary source for DCFC's long before they changed they membership plans, and were a good alternative even back then too.

They are just better priced now due to competition.


However, it was true that the EVgo's old pricing and policies were somewhat obnoxious compared to the current pricing and policies.


All depends on whose ox is being gored!

Any EV port in a storm when your battery is running low;

Plus there was less competition available; hence higher prices than now;

Nissan and BMW stepped up to the plate with subsidies; hence their cars were favored with features like the 30 minute timer; and

I immediately subscribed to their monthly plan, which made it much more competitive.

You obviously had alternatives.

Evoforce
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:21 am
Location: AZ

Re: Do not use EVgo fast chargers. No, seriously. Just don't.

Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:06 am

There are many of us that knew that the prices Evgo presented represented gouging and actively hammered Evgo to lower prices. Some people set back and accept whatever happens while others do something about it. Prices are better but still could improve. The next ones to watch out for are prices related to Electrify America. A court ordered system that appears will be a profit generator for the offenders. What could go wrong?

WetEV
Moderator
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:26 pm
Location: Near Seattle

Re: Do not use EVgo fast chargers. No, seriously. Just don't.

Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:41 pm

Evoforce wrote:There are many of us that knew that the prices Evgo presented represented gouging and actively hammered Evgo to lower prices. Some people set back and accept whatever happens while others do something about it. Prices are better but still could improve. The next ones to watch out for are prices related to Electrify America. A court ordered system that appears will be a profit generator for the offenders. What could go wrong?


Eventually, competition. Do I stop at Brand X for $x or Brand Y for $y? Probably depends on if x>y or y>x. And who has the best coffee.
#49 on the LEAF 100 mile club.
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red
2014 Leaf SL Red
Can't sit in a Bolt seat, hoping for better soon.
Or perhaps a Buick version? Buick Electra 225???

Return to “Batteries and Charging”